Miracle grow organic potting mix

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What do they mean by "natural fertilizers"?
Cow (feces)?
If it IS all natural, and doesn't have any toxins or anything, then it is probably safe.

Last edited:

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you are worried you can read up on what they use in it but organic does not always mean safe. I was watching this exterminators show they have on TV and many most of what this company uses is all natural it had some kind of oil in it that was ment to target inverts and take away their moister. So id just read up on whats in the soil before you use it.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
thanks for the help guys!If it kills any spiders I'll be sure to post an update lol {D

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
hey i have some of this stuff for plats...and i just went and looked and noticed some worm looking things in the dirt....other than that id say its cool but imo its kinda loaded with sticks and stuff....baking should kill the worms but wouldnt the sticks be kinda dangerous

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
hey i have some of this stuff for plats...and i just went and looked and noticed some worm looking things in the dirt....other than that id say its cool but imo its kinda loaded with sticks and stuff....baking should kill the worms but wouldnt the sticks be kinda dangerous
hmm dunno what the worms would be.I also doubt the sticks would be harmful.Arent there sticks in the jungle?hehe

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I often use the "miracle grow " brand peat moss, with no problems. I like it better than cheap ass bales of dry commercial peat.

later, Tom

ghost6303

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
everything came from planet earth at one point or another. miracle grow has still has chemicals in it, organic, natural or otherwise, to promote the growth of plants. i would much rather choose something more inert like strait peat moss or top soil, over miracle grow. it might not be harmful, or any effects may go unseen, but if given the choice i wouldnt use any miracle grow for my Ts.

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use Organic Topsoil with no ill effects. Plus you get a HUGE bag of it for less than $5. It's perfect for planted vivs too. I've kept my scorps and Ts on it for over a year now.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I often use the "miracle grow " brand peat moss, with no problems. I like it better than cheap ass bales of dry commercial peat.

later, Tom
Oh Dear!,
nothing like a mushroom cloud of dry peatmoss dust, what can be more fun den dat?! :rolleyes: :}

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer

later, Tom
Same here. After using nothing but miracle grow brand peat for all my spiders (and that's been a lot of spiders) for over 5 years, I can pretty much say it's safe. Assuming the levels of fertilizer are the same (or similar) in the brands potting soil, I would consider that safe too. Relatively low ("normal") concentrations of fertilizer in the substrate are not going to be harmful.

Eric

Bird Man

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
DO NOT USE MIRACLE GROW for any thing, not even plants. Miracle grow will burn plants, and I've used their "organic" mixes before and I've had BIG white mushrooms pop up over night from the soil.

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I wouldn't use this stuff for Ts or any other animals for that matter.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
DO NOT USE MIRACLE GROW for any thing, not even plants. Miracle grow will burn plants
That all depends on the concentration, and the plant in question. If you're using too high a concentrate, or using it on certain types of plants, of course you'll get burn.

Ultimately I don't care, and am not going to argue about it here, but I question the claim that properly fertilzed soil (say 10-10-10) is harmful to theraphosids.... mainly due to my experience in doing this very thing. Do you think they make their burrows in leached out soil in the wild?

I've had BIG white mushrooms pop up over night from the soil.
This can occur from almost any commercially available potting mix and peat. And, the typcial white shrooms aren't a big deal anyway IMO.

Ok, over and out.

Basically, if you're worried about using it... don't. But I don't worry :)

Eric

nakazanie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
DO NOT USE MIRACLE GROW for any thing, not even plants. Miracle grow will burn plants...
The statement above is false.

It seems that if trace amounts of potassium, nitrogen and phosphorous killed tarantulas, we wouldn't have any tarantulas, but who knows. I just put a few inches of Miracle-Gro potting mix in my new G. rosea's tank topped by a couple inches of Eco Earth.

I would wager a lot of $$ that fertilized potting soil is safe. Now, there is a "wetting agent" in some them, too. These tend to be petroleum-based. But I guess that keeping t's in plastic containers exposes them to more petroleum than the wetting agent would.

Chemo-phobia is often not too productive.

Nak

vvx

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What do they mean by "natural fertilizers"?
Cow (feces)?
If it IS all natural, and doesn't have any toxins or anything, then it is probably safe.
I remember once when I lived with my parents they got a ton of "topsoil" delivered, the pile was pretty much as wide as the 2-car driveway. The stench was unbelievable, I'm not sure there was much in it other than cow feces. Though they're the type of people who would intentionally seek out that kind of thing, so I'm not surprised.

I don't think miracle gro would put enough cow feces in it's soil to cause problems. After all, as a big company, they wouldn't want their all-purpose product smelling like that.

nakazanie

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I don't think miracle gro would put enough cow feces in it's soil to cause problems. After all, as a big company, they wouldn't want their all-purpose product smelling like that.
I think you are right about this. I don't remember seeing manure listed as an ingredient. It's mostly peat.

Nak