Can someone give some advice on moving an aggresive T?

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I want to move my G. rosea(shes crazy!) to another enclosure. ... Know any good methods? thanks
1. Do not stress out over stressing out your rosy. Tarantulas and their progenitors have been on this planet for well over 1/3 billion years. You don't stick around that long and that successfully if a little Sunday afternoon stress does you any harm.

2. Use a large plastic glass (left over from your last party, maybe?) or a even a cleaned cottage cheese carton over the top of her. Slide a piece of light cardboard (e.g., large file card, chunk of a cereal box. Avoid using part of a soap or detergent box) under the container and the spider. Move her carefully into her new home.

3. Many enthusiasts, especially newbies, go hysterical if their pet tarantula reacts in any way to being touched or moved, "The da**n thing attacked my with fangs open and blood in its eyes!"

My initial response is usually something like, "Are you going to stand there and try to convince me that a one ounce spider just bamboozled you into wetting your pants?"

After I stop laughing hysterically at the visual, I have to admit that maybe 1 out of 1,000 roses do have a personality problem and probably shouldn't be handled except in case of an emergency. If you've recently bought it from a pet shop, is there any way you could talk them into exchanging it for a more docile one? If not, you should probably designate it as a look-but-don't-touch pet (like a piranha) and go out and get yourself another tarantula that you can handle. May I recommend one of the following?

Aphonopelma species - large, brown tarantulas from North America (except A. moderatum, Rio Grande gold tarantula)

Brachypelma albopilosum - curlyhair tarantula
B. smith - Mexican redknee tarantula
B. emilia - Mexican redleg tarantula
B. vagans - redrump tarantula

Grammostola pulchra - Brazilian black tarantula

There are lots of other good beginner's tarantulas and I'm sure others will add to this list. The message is that you shouldn't let this one feisty pet throw you for a loss. There are lots more to choose from.

lilmoonrabbit

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry, just can't help it... and just what's wrong with having a vagina can I ask? I'm wondering how many other women there are on this forum that keep tarantulas and other inverts that would find your comment quite offensive. :)
You know, I had thought about this, but didn't say anything. There are plenty of real "vaginas" here, and women are just as capable of caring for their collections.

satanslilhelper

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Well, now it's my turn to transfer one of my new T's. I got a C. darlingi today from Paul Becker. I love that on the vial it says "fast" and "bites". LOL!! :D

Spyder 1.0

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMtuk_8QIIY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMtuk_8QIIY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

thank me later :D

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Many enthusiasts, especially newbies, go hysterical if their pet tarantula reacts in any way to being touched or moved, "The da**n thing attacked my with fangs open and blood in its eyes!"

My initial response is usually something like, "Are you going to stand there and try to convince me that a one ounce spider just bamboozled you into wetting your pants?"
Nope....but I just wet my pants when I read this!!! I think I found my new signature!!!! Thanks Stan...

To the OP: Just corral the thing in a cup. Sure, it's gonna be pissed, but not nearly as bad as if you just unceremoniously dumped the thing in it's new home, using whatever McGuyver-contraption we can devise. Quick and easy should be the rule of thumb. My rosie is pretty docile, but really prone to bouts of "Spider-PMS." I treat rosies as a handlable and friendly OW. Nothin' says lovin' like a good ol' threat display!!!

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
just use a bigger cup to cup her...then slide something under and pick her up.
my little HALF INCH rosea actually showed me a threat display last nigth when i was taking out the mealworm remains!:eek:

Chaika

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
No feelings were meant to be hurt... I'm sorry. I hope we can leave it at that, but I have a hunch that's not gonna happen.
Nice to hear an apology... The reason for your hunch is because lots of people found your comment offensive, especially the extremely sexist element of calling someone a 'vagina' because they're nervous about moving their T. It's just not on, we're not in the middle ages any more and such comments are very out of place in our society, especially in the public forum (I have a female friend at the office who, literally, couldn't believe what you had written :eek: ).

Like lilmoonrabbit said:
There are plenty of real "vaginas" here, and women are just as capable of caring for their collections.
Imagine you'd called the OP something racist and the response you'd get then, the two things are really not that different.

I guess the crunch of the matter is that because you're posting something for people to read on a public forum, it will get seen by many more than you'd imagine, (this thread already has over 600 views) so you need to be extra careful about how you write things and how they may be interpreted. Offending half the readers in one careless post is not a good way to go.

In anycase, I accept your apology and will be happy to leave it at this :cool:.

skilletsteve

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
[YOUTUBE]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMtuk_8QIIY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wMtuk_8QIIY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

thank me later :D
i used to listen to the bends all the time a few years ago. that's quite the contraption you've got there.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sparkn- Have you managed to move your G. rosea yet? i know this thread got a little thread-jacked, but i hope you got the information you needed. There's not anything for me to add, because someone has already said our technique. i do hope it went smoothly though.:D

satanslilhelper-i hope you see the offensiveness in your statement and refrain from posting the like again.

the nature boy

Arachnoking
Old Timer
my cobalts pretty psycho youd get bit and bad....
I have yet to find an H. lividum I couldn't handle. In fact, in my experience they're one of the easier old world Ts to handle. I guarantee I could handle her without a problem.

Sparkn

Arachnopeon
Sparkn- Have you managed to move your G. rosea yet? i know this thread got a little thread-jacked, but i hope you got the information you needed. There's not anything for me to add, because someone has already said our technique. i do hope it went smoothly though.:D

satanslilhelper-i hope you see the offensiveness in your statement and refrain from posting the like again.

Yup, I finally moved it. I tried the cup over the T method thing, worked great. It seemed more afraid after the whole transfer than angry though, but it's understandable. Anyways, thanks for the advice(s) peeps... appreciate it.

BIG D3Z

Arachnopeon
why dont u try putting a container in the habitat such as a deli cup and when feeding time comes place your doof in the container and try to get your t to hop in the container after he/she hops in put a plate or piece of cardboard perhaps a movie case on top and transfer the t to her/his new home! make sure the deli cup s short enough for the t to slimb into to get the food without much struggle

-Sarah-

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yup, I finally moved it. I tried the cup over the T method thing, worked great. It seemed more afraid after the whole transfer than angry though, but it's understandable. Anyways, thanks for the advice(s) peeps... appreciate it.
Glad to hear you had success with that :) when you're dealing with an otherwise unhappy T, that's the best way to get it under control without risking injury to it. They can't do much but give you threat poses when they're stuck under a deli cup {D