medium sized arboreal suggestions

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi,

The reptile show is coming up this sunday (yay~) and originally I was going to get an A. versicolor but with all of the 'high mortality rate' debate and what not, I think i want to look for something else instead. It's going to eventually go into the tank my MM A. avicularia is in so it should be a smaller sized arboreal. I have no preference between old world and new world (although, it cannot be OBT, H. mac, or S. cal per my mothers orders).

any suggestions?

Spunky

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus Irminia or Psalmopoeus Cambridgei if you are able to handle a slightly more skittish T than the Avics (IMO).

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi,

The reptile show is coming up this sunday (yay~) and originally I was going to get an A. versicolor but with all of the 'high mortality rate' debate and what not, I think i want to look for something else instead. It's going to eventually go into the tank my MM A. avicularia is in so it should be a smaller sized arboreal. I have no preference between old world and new world (although, it cannot be OBT, H. mac, or S. cal per my mothers orders).

any suggestions?
P. irminia
P. cambridgei

Both are gorgeous, inexpensive, hardy, relatively well behaved once settled in and not too big as adults...

OBT's are not arboreal BTW ;)

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Psalmopoeus Irminia or Psalmopoeus Cambridgei if you are able to handle a slightly more skittish T than the Avics (IMO).
Snuck in right before me. Great minds think alike I guess :clap:

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Both gorgeous species. :) and I know they're not technically arboreal, kind of semi-arboreal, each specimen is different can't make up its mind, kind of species form what I've noticed around the boards. But I can't have one anyways. :wall:

I've considered both species, :D they're both awesome, and though I used to be enthralled bt the contrast of the irminia I've been finding myself much more drawn to the subtle beauty of the cambridgei.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
We just got a T. gigas.

The slings are beautiful and they gradually turn into what looks like a peachy reddish orange color.(at least from pictures i have seen)

They are supposed to be fast a lightning, but we are used to that with the assortment of slings that we do have. From what i understand they are closely related to Avicularias, but i haven't seen any reports of them being delicate.

They may be one of the fastest growing species and have voracious appetites. i have seen reports of them being defensive, but have no personal experience of it so far.(we have had it 2 1/2 weeks)

i am very excited about watching this one grow up. i think they get to about a 5" legspan, so i would think that would be comparable to an A. avicularia(its late and i could be remembering wrong) Look up some pictures and see what you think. i don't know whether they would be available at the reptile show though..........

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
P. irminia
P. cambridgei

Both are gorgeous, inexpensive, hardy, relatively well behaved once settled in and not too big as adults...

OBT's are not arboreal BTW ;)
Don't P. cambridgei get to be about 7"? i know that the P. irminia is smaller than the P. cambridegei..........

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was also going to suggest the Psalmos, but they do get larger than all but the largest Avics.

I also wouldn't immediately discount versis due to their apparent fragility as slings. Get a couple of them if you're excessively worried about them dying, or try to find a slightly larger one. I know warpig has some great advice when it comes to avic slings, and he's had great success with them.

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Stick with your versicolor plan, they are as easy to raise as anything.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
T. gigas is very beautiful :drool: So are some of the other Tapinauchenius :eek: Well I know Tarantulas inc. has some and I know they'll be at the show. Even if they don't have any at the show, they're based in omaha (which is where I live) so I could easily go pick one up from them. :)

And I just don't know. I'm just to worried about the whole supposed SADS thing, and it'd be my luck that I'd get a few just incase and they'd all make it :rolleyes: haha.

eh, maybe I'll get both. :D

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Don't P. cambridgei get to be about 7"? i know that the P. irminia is smaller than the P. cambridegei..........
A very large female might push 7" but they are not big roamers. I keep adult Psalmos and adult Avics in the same size enclosures, either 2.5 gallon tanks oriented vertically or large clear pretzel tubs...

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A very large female might push 7" but they are not big roamers. I keep adult Psalmos and adult Avics in the same size enclosures, either 2.5 gallon tanks oriented vertically or large clear pretzel tubs...
well the cage I have is the medium arboreal cage from tarantulacages.com. My Avic seems pretty small in there, so I think a P. cambridgei would do ok in one?

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
It depends more on your sense of aesthetics and what you consider crowded. The medium TC.C arboreal setup is about the same dimensions as a 2.5 gallon tank, and has enough room for a P. cambridgei in my opinion. I like minimalist setups that allow me to keep more tarantulas in a given space. If you are going to load it up with a lot of decorations, and if you think an Avic looked crowded, then maybe not for you.

I would say that if you like them as much as you mentioned up above, you have a year or two before a sling would get that large anyway. Plenty of time to get a cage for it that makes you happy. They are worth the effort ;)

Edit- I just noticed that you said the cage looked too big for the Avic, not the other way around. You will probably think the Cambridgei looks good in there then...

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I guess I'd have to see an adult for myself to really gauge what size cage it would need, I'm not very good at visualizing the size just out of mind.

it's really hard to decided, there are so many wonderful Ts out there. :eek: it might just boil down to whatever steals my heart at the show, It might be nice to have a "wild card" in my pocket. I told my mom I only plan to get four Ts, a Mature female A. avicularia so I can breed my male, a P. regalis, and a C. cyaneopubescens. And whatever I deicide to get for this fourth one.

That said I'd still like some suggestions, :) I'll be researching each one, so the more i know about the more my options open up. :D (and I always have to research a T before I buy it!!!)

ranchulas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If your going aboreal stick with the P. irminia or A versicolor. Both great looking T's. Your med size tarantulacages.com cage is perfect( though expensive IMO). But the GBB is a winner all around! Great colors! It can be so hard to chose T's sometimes. Go to the show and see the T's in person. This will help you the most. What ever T steals your heart at the time will win. You will end up with all in the end anyways. LOL GBB's are like OBTs. Not aboreal but will web north to south if needed. Both have been seen webbing up into bushes in the wild. Good luck! Have fun and enjoy a great hobby.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for the adivce. I guess it all comes down to the show. :) Maybe I'll get both and make up some kind of BS story to explain to my mom. :D 9 Ts? that so uneven :rolleyes: 10 Ts, now, doesn't that sound so much better. :D

I totally agree, I'm going to be crushed if they don't have any at the show. :eek: I really really want one of those. >w<

Thanks. :)

Oh and I agree about the pricy bit, but i'm just not crafty/handy enough to build my own arboreal lid/enclosures. I tried...

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd recommend e-mailing vendors beforehand, and let them know what you're looking to buy. Most vendors aren't going to take their whole inventory to a show. The last show I went to had a ton of subadult to adult terrestrials and very few slings or arboreals. It was a good thing that I had already made plans to pick some up from a vendor.

Vaughn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I would go with I HIRSUTUM ( Very underrated ) they are smaller , mine have about a 3.25 " dia. leg span but they are very chuncky . They are always out and the best T to watch feed . Its like watching Taz ( from the cartoon ) when they feed . I keep mine in 5.5" dia. x 10" snap top pasta containers . Drill a few holes add a piece of cork bark and your good to go .

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
In the end you'll have to go with what you can get. There will be a selection i'm sure but you can't depend on them having this species or that unless you've contacted the vendors and asked. FYI, avics are only exceedingly delicate when they're quite small. A 2" Avic is as hardy as any other T, just keep it properly ventilated. Usually there are plenty of juvinile Avics to be found at an expo so I would't cross them off the list just because of a bad experience with one.

Personally, I really like Psalmopoeus. If anybody has psalmos i'd get one, whichever species. P. pulchers are my favorite for appearance though... :drool: P cambridgei's are the most commonly available and they look quite nice too but the coloration is a lot more subtle than irminia or pulcher.

Ariel

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd recommend e-mailing vendors beforehand, and let them know what you're looking to buy. Most vendors aren't going to take their whole inventory to a show. The last show I went to had a ton of subadult to adult terrestrials and very few slings or arboreals. It was a good thing that I had already made plans to pick some up from a vendor.
unfortunately I only know of one vendor that will be there. My mom assures me there will be more but have no idea who they will be. :eek: I could still e-mail tarantulas inc though and see if they're bringing some of these up. But as I said, even if they don't bring anything I take an intrest in they're based in the same city i live in so I can easily make arrangements to pick up the other things. :)

I would go with I HIRSUTUM ( Very underrated ) they are smaller , mine have about a 3.25 " dia. leg span but they are very chuncky . They are always out and the best T to watch feed . Its like watching Taz ( from the cartoon ) when they feed . I keep mine in 5.5" dia. x 10" snap top pasta containers . Drill a few holes add a piece of cork bark and your good to go .
a beautiful T indeed, but I already have a cage I intend to use and something that little might be just a bit to small. :eek:

In the end you'll have to go with what you can get. There will be a selection i'm sure but you can't depend on them having this species or that unless you've contacted the vendors and asked. FYI, avics are only exceedingly delicate when they're quite small. A 2" Avic is as hardy as any other T, just keep it properly ventilated. Usually there are plenty of juvinile Avics to be found at an expo so I would't cross them off the list just because of a bad experience with one.

Personally, I really like Psalmopoeus. If anybody has psalmos i'd get one, whichever species. P. pulchers are my favorite for appearance though... :drool: P cambridgei's are the most commonly available and they look quite nice too but the coloration is a lot more subtle than irminia or pulcher.
Yes I'm aware of that, It all narrows down to what they have, really the point of this thread was to get an idea of what else is out there so I can do my research before hand and get whatever they have when I get there. :) And I guess you're right, they're not completely off my list...and I didn't have a bad experiance with one its just all of the threads about it all over the boards has made me nervous.