1000 spiders in a suitcase

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I don't know about the UK, but it's really not that hard to get the proper permits to transport invertebrets into the states. I'm not exactly certain on Brazil's laws because I only know the choice words in Portugese that can start a fight or get me a date - and my real last name is a famous Brazilian last name (think, music), how much lamer can I be? So, at any rate, Brazil only has one page of their site that deals with such things available in English and it doesn't address import/export/collection laws and the Google Site Translator sucks for Brazilian Portugese.

Anyways, not a smart move and not a good way to transport animals. Sucks for him but he should be more responsible.

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/nov/12/pet-shop-owner-spider-smuggling

:wall: :wall: :wall:

How often do you think this happens?

How many of them do you think die in the little cardboard boxes you see in the pictures?

Why should the man not have been named?

What kind of damage do you think this does by removing such large numbers of slow-growing apex predators from natural ecosystems?
Twas Prince Harry.. ;)

Nah it's sickening but happens much more than gets caught..

DDaake

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Not good for any of us. This can raise eyebrows everywhere.

Jmugleston

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I don't know about the UK, but it's really not that hard to get the proper permits to transport invertebrets into the states. I'm not exactly certain on Brazil's laws because I only know the choice words in Portugese that can start a fight or get me a date - and my real last name is a famous Brazilian last name (think, music), how much lamer can I be? So, at any rate, Brazil only has one page of their site that deals with such things available in English and it doesn't address import/export/collection laws and the Google Site Translator sucks for Brazilian Portugese.

Anyways, not a smart move and not a good way to transport animals. Sucks for him but he should be more responsible.
Brazil export laws are pretty much nothing leaves legally.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
What kind of idiot would think a suitcase FULL of spiders like that wouldn't be something that the x-ray operator would find suspicious...

And hooray for using the term 'poison'...

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Not good for any of us. This can raise eyebrows everywhere.
Yeah, the fact that it made the news is going to bring down some backlash.

Brazil export laws are pretty much nothing leaves legally.
Yeah, a kid down there recently shared that info with me and I tried to look it up on their sites but couldn't get the info I wanted to see

I wonder what the authorities do with the 'rescues'.
You really don't want the answer to that...they usually hold them as "evidence" while they sort out the details of the case and the animals end up dying - I've only seen this play through once on a legal shipment and there was much gnashing of teeth over the very expensive captive bred inverts being dead when the authorities put 2 & 2 together that it was a perfectly legal shipment.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This reminds me so much of The Lizard King. I would LOL if I ever heard a smuggler trying to get a Haplopelma lividum or S.calceatum through customs in his boxer shorts(have read some crazy ways smugglers used to get by)

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
This reminds me so much of The Lizard King. I would LOL if I ever heard a smuggler trying to get a Haplopelma lividum or S.calceatum through customs in his boxer shorts(have read some crazy ways smugglers used to get by)
Dude, I totally forgot about that until now - wow, I haven't heard that story in a while. He was the king of stupid!

Stopdroproll

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hmmm, wonder what they did with the spiders. Looks like someone got 1k spider collection.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
its because of idiots like this that singapore has banned so many animals from being kept here....:mad:

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Hmmm, wonder what they did with the spiders. Looks like someone got 1k spider collection.
Does the following put your wonder to rest? It's standard procedure.

I wonder what the authorities do with the 'rescues'.
You really don't want the answer to that...they usually hold them as "evidence" while they sort out the details of the case and the animals end up dying - I've only seen this play through once on a legal shipment and there was much gnashing of teeth over the very expensive captive bred inverts being dead when the authorities put 2 & 2 together that it was a perfectly legal shipment.

rasputin

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The destination of the apprehended spiders will be, the principle, the National Museum, where they will pass for skill and later catalogued, in accordance with the policy.
Because museums are known for keeping invertebrates alive after they catalog them right? They are worse off than they were in the suitcase because in theory they could have survived in the suitcase; at the museum, on the other hand, they're very much dead - it's a double standard that cost a thousand t's their lives.

dtknow

Arachnoking
Old Timer
So we can thus assume that L. parahybana G. pulchra, and others were originally smuggled

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yes, pretty much every species we see in the hobby from Brazil.