"Avicularia urticans" (Peruvian pinktoe) - ID Help

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
A friend showed me a picture of his Avicularia female which was sold to him as Avicularia urticans. I was quite impressed with the color and beauty of this tarantula, but I couldn't remember seeing anything else quite like it. My first impression was that it looked a lot like Avicularia juruensis because of the bands on the legs, but I wasn't too sure of it either. Here she is:

And here is what shows up as A.urticans when run on a search engine:

http://www.kenthebugguy.com/popup_image.php?pID=1069&osCsid=c2902982bb5c52052dd1578dbee402db

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm not saying either of them is correct (or incorrect), but I'd like to point out that search engines will pull up mislabeled images all the time and are not reliable.

EDIT: I noticed that second pic is from Ken's site. I would imagine his pics are pretty reliable, but I'm also not very experienced with the Avicularia genus. I never had much interest in them until recently, and the only two species I have at this point are minatrix and versicolor.

Last edited:

Jon3800

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm not saying either of them is correct (or incorrect), but I'd like to point out that search engines will pull up mislabeled images all the time and are not reliable.

This is true. I gave JC permission to use my picture and it was sold to me as A.urticans, but now as I'm doing research, it's more likely to be Avicularia aurantiaca. All I can says, it's one of my Avics thats definetely not handleable

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
This is true. I gave JC permission to use my picture and it was sold to me as A.urticans, but now as I'm doing research, it's more likely to be Avicularia aurantiaca. All I can says, it's one of my Avics thats definetely not handleable
I was referring to the other pic, by the way. ;)

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why are you unable to handle him? I know some Avics are a little more feisty then others but I don't see very many Avics being labeled as be careful don't handle this one.

Jon3800

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Why are you unable to handle him? I know some Avics are a little more feisty then others but I don't see very many Avics being labeled as be careful don't handle this one.
She tried biting without any threat on 2 different occasions, when I gently prodded her on the abdomen. My A.versicolor is a lot worse tho... will threat if she's touched in anyway. My P.subfusca is better tempered :)

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
JC, might want to take a look at this one

http://www.arachnopets.com/tarantulas/tgallery/aurticans01.htm,

very similar looking to mine. There was some flash involved when I took that pic LOL.

I'm starting to think it is Avicularia aurantiaca too. Interesting. The flash is not a problem Jon. If anything it brings out more color. I don't think I would have noticed the purple abdomen if it weren't there. Also check out this one. Its labeled as Avicularia aurantiaca as well.

http://www.r-haemmerle.de/images/Avicularia_aurantiaca.jpg

If it is Avicularia aurantiaca it would make sense why Ken's pics are different. By the way I have 6 juvie/adult A.urticans coming in this week from Ken. I will post some pics of those when they get here.

Last edited:

Jon3800

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I've just looked at that very same pic...and I'm like REALLY???
Did Amanda from Tarantula Canada ever get back to you?

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I've just looked at that very same pic...and I'm like REALLY???
Did Amanda from Tarantula Canada ever get back to you?
No I have not contacted her yet. Will do shortly.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
I received my Avicularia urticans group today. Well, they sure don't look like yours Jon, but that's not to say I'm disappointed with what I received. ;)

Avicularia urticans

Terry D

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Sweet spider/ terrible search engines

JC, The subtle colors of the Avic combined with the fuzziness is interesting. Agreeing with the owner- it looks mean, adds to the allure!

In regards to search engines, especially images- I find they're wrong almost 100% of the time when searching for obscure species of anything- especially butterflies or birds- often wrong when looking for obscures near beginning of scroll of pics. Even boldly-marked species are often wrong near mid to bottom of scroll, although the pics of many are actually identified right on pop-up description of thumbnail- but then placed in with the totally different animal you're looking for. That's because the article accompanying often mentions what you're looking for in text only- which has nothing to do with the image you're looking for- imop. Search engines, pshhhh....... Most others are better at searching than I- a confessed cyber-ijjit for the most part. Terry D

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
JC, The subtle colors of the Avic combined with the fuzziness is interesting. Agreeing with the owner- it looks mean, adds to the allure!

In regards to search engines, especially images- I find they're wrong almost 100% of the time when searching for obscure species of anything- especially butterflies or birds- often wrong when looking for obscures near beginning of scroll of pics. Even boldly-marked species are often wrong near mid to bottom of scroll, although the pics of many are actually identified right on pop-up description of thumbnail- but then placed in with the totally different animal you're looking for. That's because the article accompanying often mentions what you're looking for in text only- which has nothing to do with the image you're looking for- imop. Search engines, pshhhh....... Most others are better at searching than I- a confessed cyber-ijjit for the most part. Terry D
Yeah, but the images that kept popping up were Ken's photos of this species which is why I trusted them. I now have reason to believe mine is actually Avicularia sp. "Peru Purple", which would make a lot of sense.

Last edited:

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer

Cbarr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Trying to id a t via the Internet will land u 50 pictures of avicularia urticans, that all look different Ricks pictures all look to be a. Urticans to me, do it the right way and wait till she molts then compare her spermathacae to the illustrations by schmidt of avicularia urticans spermathacae!

C

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
do it the right way and wait till she molts then compare her spermathacae to the illustrations by schmidt of avicularia urticans spermathacae!

C
Good point.

JC

Arachnolort
Old Timer
Just got a message for Rick West. I asked about his pictures and compared them to mine. This is what he said:

"Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing from an image. This species
'appears'
to be Avicularia urticans.

-Rick West
"