noobie

chuckles

Arachnopeon
I just got a Rose-Haired T and she is very agressive towards me. Is there anything i can do to calm her down?

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Try giving her a hug.. Or sing to her.. :rolleyes:
lol.

sorry OP, rosea is known for having an unpredictable nature. the good news is the hostility may go away just as suddenly as it appears. i've had no problems with any i've owned or cared for, but there seem to be "bipolar" individuals in this bunch.

i'd buy a pair of feeding tongs if you dont already have them, and remember this isn't a pet meant to be held and petted. if it seems grumpy or threats you, wait another time to do whatever you are trying to do, they don't need any doting whatsoever.

it also could be that you are keeping it wrong or just plain messing with it too much. who knows? you could do a search on the boards for simple husbandry advice if you are unsure you are taking care of it correctly, and then maybe go from there.

also, saying that they are "agressive" might get you a few slightly off-topic comments, the correct term is "defensive".

Last edited:

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Freehandle her!!! Right away!!!!!! ;P

If you have a defensive T, keep in mind it's like talking to a hot girl: She's really not a you-know-what.....she's just one to you!!! Don't take it personally....it's how they are.

The first thing you probably should know, is how to manipulate and catch her in a cup. After that, keeping a defensive T is no problem. Everyone has their own techniques......whatever keeps you and your T safe, no matter how long it takes.

Now, if you can't deal with it, send her to me.....If she's that obnoxious, then she can sit on the shelf next to my evil P. cambridgei, and trade lessons on the best methods for chasing a full-grown man out of an enclosure, LOL!!!

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just got a Rose-Haired T and she is very agressive towards me. Is there anything i can do to calm her down?
There's really nothing you can do to calm any tarantula down. I mean, you might catch one while *it* has decided to be calm, but it's really somewhat of a crap-shoot (especially with G. roseas).

You didn't mention if you had wanted to hold her... If so, and this one is acting crazy towards you, then don't. You'll risk getting bitten, dropping the tarantula, and hurting/killing it. Try getting yourself an A. avicularia (pink-toe). They generally aren't as temperamental as G. roseas and you should be able to hold it without a problem.

Blayde

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My female G. Rosea is the only T I have thats almost bit me. She is a lot of hit miss, like you guys say. Some days shes okay with me opening her up, others, shes quick to turn on you. I used her in a demonstration with my girlfriend on How NOT to interact with a tarantula.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y9cCLpAQv4

Greatest video EVER!!! Thats actually the reason I was giving her a demo. I took my female rose hair tank, put it on a table in the open, opened it, reached in, touched her leg, she promptly turned, grabbed my finger with 2 of her legs and tried to pull herself up to bite me as I pulled my hand out. She was close, but she slipped off at the last second. Lesson taught. That video bothered me the first day I saw it.

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My rosea was a total sweetheart and then after about 4 or 5 months, she turned into this total ORNERY "B word". She would slap at anything that moved, never hardly ate anything, reared up at any movement.... She was in premolt forever it seemed! The moment she molted out (about 3 months later) She was as happy as a fat kid with cake!

chuckles

Arachnopeon
Well last night i tried the whole puting your hand down in front of her and gently touch her rear end to make her move forward and she went right onto my hand and just sat there. that was the coolest thing ever because it was the first time i had ever held a T that size. her legs are about 2 inches long. Her pink hair is really vibrant and actually really pretty. i Will try and put some pic's up of her.

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I purchased an RCF from petco a couple weeks ago and they had it on wood chips and very high humidity. I handled it in the store and it acted fine, it threat posed me once, but since I got it home and housed in the right conditions, it's gone nuts. Raising it's abdomen at me and kicking hairs, threat poses, and attxking anything in it's enclosure that moves. I like it though because my other rosea just sits and when it does move it's super slow.

ArachnidJackson

Arachnopeon
OH MY....I very much dislike that video. It has a few good tips, but my heavens she seems....Oh no, I just don't know about this clip at all. I immediately get a headache from her voice.
I liked it the first time I watched it a month or so ago, but now....yack.
I'm sure she is a nice lady though =D

Steve Calceatum

Arachnolord
Old Timer
This thread is quite humorous, and seemingly full-circle for me, lol!!!

First, you should never EVER go after a T bare-handed. Just because you can does not mean that animal will let you get away with it every single time. As I stated before, get your T in a cup when removing it from the enclosure.

Tarantulas are 110% defensive in their enclosures, even if only at a slight. Once in a cup and out, their personalities change. Yes, you can calm a T using this method, though not permanently. Once back in their home, they will become defensive again.

When I get home, I'll edit some old footage together, and make a video on this subject to illustrate how to work with a defensive T.

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Mine was spawn of satan when I brang her home from the pet store. She would have venom dripping of her fangs because I farted near her enclosure. After she got use to her home and I got use to her we got along fine. Shes the nicest little thing ever now.

chuckles

Arachnopeon
xsyorra i did what you said and got a cup and brought her out of her tank and then held her close to the ground and she walked around on my hands and arms and was really nice. i only try and hold her a day after i feed her just because i had a snake and i tried holding it after she ate and she bit me. so i didnt want to take a chance on my T to bite me. lol but she is really awesome and i am glad i bought her for my first T. i was going to get a cobalt blue hair but all i have ever heard about them are that they are very defensive.

Slappys_g1rl06

Arachnopeon
Mine was spawn of satan when I brang her home from the pet store. She would have venom dripping of her fangs because I farted near her enclosure. After she got use to her home and I got use to her we got along fine. Shes the nicest little thing ever now.
HAHAHA you said fart! {D

And, sheesh, you could be talking about anybody's experience with a new girlfriend for all we know in your reply! :} LOL, that reply was too hilarious! Love it!

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
...She would have venom dripping of her fangs because I farted near her enclosure....
She could also have been drooling. I have caught our G. rosea doing it several times. At first I thought it was venom, but if you looked closely it was coming from her mouth and then descended the fang. It's hard to tell the difference, but its seems a more likely scenario for a G. rosea IMO.:D

and there is no such word as 'brang':p