Please help!!

NikiP

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't beat yourself up over it. Until you know know you need to find help elsewhere, most people don't realize just how wrong pet store info can be.

Just learn learn from this rather then make the same mistakes again, then your T's death won't be meaningless :)

Julia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Aww... Very sorry for your loss. You come across as someone who is genuinely interested in learning all about how these critters live and function. You'll do just fine next time.

Now go, Young Jedi....and scour the For Sale section of these boards for your new ward. (Stay away from pet stores, ok?)

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm so sorry for your little one. But you learned alot from the experience, even though the situation sucked. Just wait, you'll be cruising the FS section soon, compiling a wishlist of ridiculous proportions. Good luck!

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Now go, Young Jedi....and scour the For Sale section of these boards for your new ward. (Stay away from pet stores, ok?)
There are also a number of members on these boards from Spokane. You might want to contact them and see if they might want to sell you something, or can suggest where you can get something locally.

Sorry to hear about your loss... but seriously... if Steve Buscemi was selling me a spider, I'd be temped to listen to him too.

peterock44

Arachnopeon
i live a few hours from spokane, im sure i havnt seen all the petstores there, but the few i have seen i would not recommend for tarantulas. your best bet is to find some nice juvie/subadult t's on these boards. they can be fairly cheap and with over night shipping being 20-30 bucks you usually come out cheaper or really close to the petstore prices, and you get a much healthier t.

Fyreflye

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You can't take this too personally- you went by the only information given to you, and you did try to do the best for your spider. I am very sorry to hear that he didn't make it through. :(

I agree that you should give it another go. Do you think that you will look for another A. avic, or will you try something different? Consider getting a few slings (spiderlings)! It is fun to watch them grow.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry to get off topic , but I live in Granite Falls . . . Thats pretty close to you . Have you ever wanted a N. chromatus before ? And tarantulas.com lives in seattle , and if you live close by , you get direct discounts .

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Where are you guys getting Washington from? The OP lives in Canada...

proper_tea

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Ack...

This was my fault. I saw Ghostmooners reply that included a repost of the OP's pics, and at a quick glance thought Ghostmooner (who lives in Spokane) was the OP.

Sorry for the confusion.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
what ? theres a place in Canada called Spokane ? Hahaha . Thats awesome . Theres a city in WA Spokane .
If there is, that's not where the OP is from...

smallara - Don't you think it's a bit inappropriate for your mood to be 'Hung over' considering you're 12?

On another note, I was about to go take a nap, but then you started posting. No rest for the wicked, I guess.

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
OP, you can try getting them online...
much better than trying to get a sickly one from a petstore while they cram heaters, UVB lights, misters and the like down our throats!

They're listed in one of the stickies in the Canadian board (which I see you're already a member of.. good show!) - you should check 'em out. Also, some Canadian members might be selling adult avics and I know there are a few who are selling some slings at the moment in the Canadian sell boards.

Sorry about your spider, and hope you find a new "twinkletoe"!

Saf

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sorry for your loss. Must be horrible to lose your (birthday present) pet so soon after getting her home. :(

My A. avic didn't last long either. It was my first T, many years ago, and he probably stuck around for about 6 months, and one day for no apparent reason, decided to check out of life. :(

Seems to happen with Avics, hence we have the term "S.A.D.S" (Sudden Avic Death Syndrome).

I hope it doesn't put you off like it did me for many years. I blamed myself, thinking I must've have done something wrong, and only recently got back into tarantula keeping.

They are amazing pets, and when well cared for (and with a little luck into the equation) can stick with you for many years.

Hope you get another one soon, and enjoy it's company for many happy years. :)

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Easy Joe, he is hung over today. :barf::D
Lmao . I asked my brother , what I am in one word right there and then , and he told me to close my eyes , and picked that . He wanted to see what would happen and what sort of comments . Apperantly it worked :p Hold on ill change it . And Joe , you can get your rest . No need not to right ? Hold on ill change the status .

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The OPs T probably died of dehydration because it's abdomen looks small. The heat lamp probably didn't help any. Plus you should have bought a spray bottle while you were buying the tarantula. It's not really your fault since you're new and you tried your best, but this genus is sensitive and can die pretty easily.

Im sorry , but your t is in tarantula heaven :( Better luck next time :) Sorry about your loss :(
While I understand you were trying to be nice, when a tarantula is in a death curl, you can't know for sure it's gone from that picture. Saying that it's "went to heaven" (implying that it's dead) means the OP could have disposed of it without putting it in ICU and having it possibly recover. That's why Joe replied the way he did and it was a legit response. Just be a little bit more careful, smallara. We don't want a live T going to waste, do we? ;)