THIS Close to Death

Obelisk

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I had a similar experience with my 3" A. avic. After taking the cricket, it decided that it didn't want to let go of the forceps. So it ran up the tongs, up my arm, and kept evading my hand by running from shoulder to shoulder. I ended up just sitting on my bed to see where it would go next.

I saw it on my bed right behind me a second later. It was still able to slip out of one of my hands twice when trying to grab it. Only when I cupped it with both hands was I able to finally put him back. Also, it dropped its cricket halfway throughout the stunt. There's my story AB :razz:{D:eek:

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
zounds and poo

in my non-insane world i put spreading the good word above the life of a t. of course, that is a false comparison as the little avic was not really in any danger. i would say the ppl doing bathroom work are putting their spiders in more danger than BS's was ever described as in

also, the OP has had tarantulas for about a month or so. so AWESOME SUPER CHARMING way of handling this.

i remember why i stay out of t-chat. too many soft brain posts, too many ppl galloping around on their high and wrong horses, too many ppl looking to rack up a little e-peen.

oh, and for the record... if i tell someone a bunch of reasons not to be afraid then them reading that is my telling them they are scared pretty reasonable. just because there is no actual "you are afraid" doesn't mean that is the connotation. jesus christ... i feel another AB vacation coming up. i can only stand y'all in small doses these days

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i would say the ppl doing bathroom work are putting their spiders in more danger than BS's was ever described as in

also, the OP has had tarantulas for about a month or so. so AWESOME SUPER CHARMING way of handling this.

i remember why i stay out of t-chat. too many soft brain posts, too many ppl galloping around on their high and wrong horses, too many ppl looking to rack up a little e-peen.

jesus christ... i feel another AB vacation coming up. i can only stand y'all in small doses these days
My E-Peen is shrinking Caco :p I have had just bout's all's I cans stands = can't stands, No more.....:D After Midnight tonight, I shall turn into a Pumkin and ONLY Lurk. My vacation will be in your area, so maybe you'll take my appology 4 taking your Posts wrong in the beginning, and go Hiking 4 bugs w/ me in Angeles Crest :cool: Have a good one ;)

- Jason

Mister Internet

Big Meanie Doo Doo Head :)
Arachnosupporter +
oh, and for the record... if i tell someone a bunch of reasons not to be afraid then them reading that is my telling them they are scared pretty reasonable. just because there is no actual "you are afraid" doesn't mean that is the connotation. jesus christ... i feel another AB vacation coming up. i can only stand y'all in small doses these days
Sounds like somebody forgot what the Internet is like...

Seriously, you're letting stuff like this bug you more than it should... if the 20 people involved in this thread were standing around at a bar talking about this, the same stuff would come out. It's just hard to get the "gist" of how people are saying stuff when you can't see their faces and gestures and all that... most of the time, I just say what's on my mind. I don't like smiley faces as a rule, and I don't care to coddle people or reinforce in their minds what a beautiful and unique snowflake they are. I've got other crap to do. :)

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

I don't like smiley faces as a rule, and I don't care to coddle people or reinforce in their minds what a beautiful and unique snowflake they are. I've got other crap to do. :)
Ahhhhhhhhh, B 4 I shut-the-Heck up Tonight, what shape snowflake am I, Mr. Internet ? Or is that not allowed to be asked *sigh* :) = Big SIGH of releif I bet, huh :razz: Never meant to annoy You, or anyone else on AB.
I will say my peice this Evening - and maybe it wont be Deleted, or remebered - I bet you are Busy, but, {U R an Administrator of site} for whatever it's Worth, give a sincere smile a try, You might like it :)

Last edited:

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Wow, so much nerd rage in this thread.

:rolleyes: :embarrassed:

Anyhow, yes, investing in some long tongs = a wonderful idea.

My mom still, after a year, WILL NOT touch the T's, big or small. She'll help me water them and whatnot, even buy 'em for me, but won't touch 'em.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry Cori

Wow, so much nerd rage in this thread.

:rolleyes: :embarrassed:

Anyhow, yes, investing in some long tongs = a wonderful idea.

My mom still, after a year, WILL NOT touch the T's, big or small. She'll help me water them and whatnot, even buy 'em for me, but won't touch 'em.
But being a NERD, apparently, is all the RAGE nowadays {Y I am signing off soon 2 just Lurking} :D I have enjoyed our phone Conversations much - call me like Blondie
:)

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +
Ahhhhhhhhh, B 4 I shut-the-Heck up Tonight, what shape snowflake am I, Mr. Internet ? Or is that not allowed to be asked *sigh* :) = Big SIGH of releif I bet, huh :razz: Never meant to annoy You, or anyone else on AB.
I will say my peice this Evening - and maybe it wont be Deleted, or remebered - I bet you are Busy, but, {U R an Administrator of site} for whatever it's Worth, give a sincere smile a try, You might like it :)
I mean absolutely no disrespect here, but I honestly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Not a flaming clue. It's like you're typing in some kind of computer language I don't know.

I wasn't talking to you anyway, I was busting cacoseraph's chops a bit... carry on...

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that it is good that you recognized that the situation was not only traumatizing for yourself but the tarantula as well. Although Avicularia sp. can be fast and at times rather finicky, it is not likely that even a full grown specimen is going to bite. Hair flicking and poop shooting is another matter entirely... and not to say that the occasional specimen is going to show some defensive nature, but generally this is misunderstood as defensiveness when in reality often a hunger response or 'flight' nature when presented with a threat.

Generally even if you hard press some species of NW they are hard to get to bite. Even when you do get bit, like I did once with my A. metallica, it is often nothing to worry about, less than a bee sting. You are more likely to get an infection that causes more issues from playing with your dog and getting scratched than you are to suffer more than a pin prick much similar to that of a thorn and some itchyness more than anything else. And even in my situation it was complete lack of using my brain that got me bit. I was trying to feed the tarantula with my fingers. When they are hungry, they hardly can discriminate with their poor eye sight between a cricket smelling finger and the actual cricket.

Your fears are unwarranted when dealing with the majority of Avicularia sp., because they are highly reluctant to bite and when they do it is very minimal.

I agree with the bathtub not being a good place to re-house tarantulas. I prefer to do it on an open floor in a room with the door blocked off. But that is only when trying to re-house something extra special... like a p*d off P. irminia, OBT, etc....etc... The only time I have used the bathtub as after a very thorough cleaning of the tub and all surroundings, removing all chemicals from the room, and never with tarantulas but instead I prefer to only use the bathtub for rehousing when dealing with centipedes.

All these years I have been keeping perhaps I have been doing something wrong, but rarely do I see the need to remove cricket balls, and whenever I feed I only feed what they eat as I drop it in. No free-ranging crickets, I have had too many problems with live crickets causing issues with molting specimens. When I feed if a cricket goes uneaten for a few minutes, I crack the cage and chase them out because it is easier to get a live cricket out than it is to go hunting for a decaying cricket carcass. It happens... but I try to keep the decaying crickets to a minimum because they are awesome at causing mite outbreaks and mold.

When you are caring for your tarantula try to calm yourself and realize that the majority of your fears are not realistic fears when dealing with these creatures. Try to realize that in the worst case scenario your going to probably end up with a couple bumps and an itch comparable to that of an ant bite, nothing to write home about. And if you get tagged by something a little more potent, most of the effects are exaggerated and although painful you are unlikely to suffer anything long-term, and none of your body parts are going to suffer from necrosis like if you are dealing with hot snakes.

So try qualm your anxieties before doing rehousing or cage maintenance. Try to keep outside distractions and noises to a minimum, give yourself a quiet and peaceful atmosphere to work in and take measures before you start to help contain any possible escapees or other issues that may arise. One smart thing to do is shut the door, put a towel under it and make sure your dog isn't around. Even a barking dog can cause issues even if they are not in the room.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Nate

Oh yea, learn how spiders react to different stimuli. For example, breathing on a specimen is likely to invoke a defensive response more than a confident and well placed hand. They perceive being breathed on as something might be getting ready to eat them. Loud noises are likely to invoke the same response, like that of a dog barking, which they can most certainly feel through vibrations inside their artificial environment.

GartenSpinnen

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Seriously, you're letting stuff like this bug you more than it should... if the 20 people involved in this thread were standing around at a bar talking about this, the same stuff would come out. It's just hard to get the "gist" of how people are saying stuff when you can't see their faces and gestures and all that... most of the time, I just say what's on my mind. I don't like smiley faces as a rule, and I don't care to coddle people or reinforce in their minds what a beautiful and unique snowflake they are. I've got other crap to do. :)
Am I a beautiful and unique snowflake? {D

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I know that you did Not mean it that way Mr. I

I mean absolutely no disrespect here, but I honestly have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. Not a flaming clue. It's like you're typing in some kind of computer language I don't know.

I wasn't talking to you anyway, I was busting cacoseraph's chops a bit... carry on...
1st off: SORRY 2 DERAIL :eek:

In a weird way - I was bustin' your chops - as I always resented how You SUSPENDED me {or well, if Not you Directly, because of how I was sassy in my REPLYING comment 2 U - & I sincerely appologize for that Immature behavior = I see it a tad differently now}, for what I perceived, as an unfair treatment 2 Me, in a Warning Thread I participated in - towards what I knew to be through multiple FACTS, a "Rip-off Artist", on AB :embarrassed:
{who @ same time....also got Away w/ vernacular "Pr*ck" while simutaneously, I got sensored by You, for combining letters B & S, then used his "Allowed" wording after = I thought was Funny :rolleyes:}

Interesting to add, I feel: {in month during Suspension} I was BANNED Permanently from T's US {regardless of what they claim}, 4 saying litterally: "D*rn-It", in CHAT BOX - then Debating it's use {D :rolleyes:

My self-silencing Tonight Mr. I - will allow me to stick 2 shutting the Heck up, Thus doing a better job of "Listening", so that I may take in more Information & Knowledge, via helpful AB participents :) Unfortunately, I must admit, that it has been Long Over Due. Maybe when I learn better how to Type {avoiding confusions}, and attempt to share later on, Some of what I have gathered in the Hobby, that is Pertinent & more useful, in a Better - more efficient way {yet still Funny 1 :D} = then I will be more Helpful & perhaps, gain more RESPECT.

I just like to Laugh & Smile more-than-Avg. member - and Joke around 2 much. MANY I feel though - Take Tarantulas too Seriously on AB - and could use a Coke & a Smile :)
{Thanx 4 listening 2 me - Appreciated, among other things - & maybe someday, we'll have a Beer - perhaps an I.P.A. ;)}

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
jesus christ

well i will be the one to say it i think maybe this thread got tooken a little bit to far maybe the admins should consider deleting this because all were doing is setting around slamming each other and well if we turn our backs on each other than the hobby will start sucking serious spinnerets lol T humor but ya know just my opion

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
well i will be the one to say it i think maybe this thread got tooken a little bit to far maybe the admins should consider deleting this because all were doing is setting around slamming each other and well if we turn our backs on each other than the hobby will start sucking serious spinnerets lol T humor but ya know just my opion
If people will quit responding then this thread should die on it's own.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I'm glad yer wee one is allright. Stupid stuff happen when yer new, but ye learn from it. Take it as an experience, and shake it off.

The good thing though is that yer wee one wont be traumatized. s/he wont remember at all, it wont have its wee feelings hurt. As long as it's alive, it's chuffed enough. But ye should get some longer tongs when ye have the possibility to do so, and in the future, maybe don't let yer jumpy dad lead the show. Wont do none of you no good if the wee one gets squashed in the course of his therapy. Slowly ease him into it instead. Safer for spider, safer for daddys heart

Good thing I'm back, so I can restore some of the calm :D

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm glad yer wee one is allright. Stupid stuff happen when yer new, but ye learn from it. Take it as an experience, and shake it off.

The good thing though is that yer wee one wont be traumatized. s/he wont remember at all, it wont have its wee feelings hurt. As long as it's alive, it's chuffed enough. But ye should get some longer tongs when ye have the possibility to do so, and in the future, maybe don't let yer jumpy dad lead the show. Wont do none of you no good if the wee one gets squashed in the course of his therapy. Slowly ease him into it instead. Safer for spider, safer for daddys heart

Good thing I'm back, so I can restore some of the calm :D
Where have you been?!

Mister Internet

Arachnosupporter +

1st off: SORRY 2 DERAIL :eek:

In a weird way - I was bustin' your chops - as I always resented how You SUSPENDED me {or well, if Not you Directly, because of how I was sassy in my REPLYING comment 2 U - & I sincerely appologize for that Immature behavior = I see it a tad differently now}, for what I perceived, as an unfair treatment 2 Me, in a Warning Thread I participated in - towards what I knew to be through multiple FACTS, a "Rip-off Artist", on AB :embarrassed:
{who @ same time....also got Away w/ vernacular "Pr*ck" while simutaneously, I got sensored by You, for combining letters B & S, then used his "Allowed" wording after = I thought was Funny :rolleyes:}

Interesting to add, I feel: {in month during Suspension} I was BANNED Permanently from T's US {regardless of what they claim}, 4 saying litterally: "D*rn-It", in CHAT BOX - then Debating it's use {D :rolleyes:

My self-silencing Tonight Mr. I - will allow me to stick 2 shutting the Heck up, Thus doing a better job of "Listening", so that I may take in more Information & Knowledge, via helpful AB participents :) Unfortunately, I must admit, that it has been Long Over Due. Maybe when I learn better how to Type {avoiding confusions}, and attempt to share later on, Some of what I have gathered in the Hobby, that is Pertinent & more useful, in a Better - more efficient way {yet still Funny 1 :D} = then I will be more Helpful & perhaps, gain more RESPECT.

I just like to Laugh & Smile more-than-Avg. member - and Joke around 2 much. MANY I feel though - Take Tarantulas too Seriously on AB - and could use a Coke & a Smile :)
{Thanx 4 listening 2 me - Appreciated, among other things - & maybe someday, we'll have a Beer - perhaps an I.P.A. ;)}
Ok, for real. I'm really not trying to be cruel, but if what you type in your posts looks correct or meaningful to you, then something has gone seriously wrong somewhere... medical or chemical circumstances are about the only way I can dismiss it and remain charitable. If you want your mind blown, just hit the spell check button and follow the friendly suggestions...

Second of all, you have been suspended in the past for discussing our moderation in public. You are so borderline in this post that I'm inclined to suspend you again. You have gotten infractions on almost a weekly basis since you've joined because you simply can't be bothered to post correctly, follow the rules, or listen when we ask/tell you to change something about the way you're participating. I'm not sure what to do with you at this point... I either have to assume that you hate it here and want to get banned, or that you are "special" and can't really understand what we're saying to you. Neither of those options looks all that good for you, eh? So which is it? You want to leave or you want to listen up and follow the rules? This is "public embarassment", and it's usually the last resort before we swing the ban hammer. Your choice, brother. We will simply execute your chosen plan of action.

I can appreciate your laissez-faire attitude, but that's not how this place works. If we let everyone operate laissez-faire, the community would implode in a week. Please follow the rules. Thanks.

p.s. - I'd still have that beer with you... as long as it doesn't involve any typing. ;)