• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans

aftershock

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have alot of S subspinipes mutilans plings since both my females gave birth to 35 small pedelings each. Alltogether 70. <edited> I am one of those stupid guys who handle my plings. I thought they were to small to bite. One of them(about 2") gave me a bite when i transfered them between their containers. It felt like beesting and then nothing. I waited and waited. Nothing. The morning after the top of my finger was a bit brown and some skin had fallen off. It looked a bit like when you get "burned" by a milliped. Besides that nothing.

I still handle them sometimes(stupid me) but I try tho transfer them in other ways.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steven

pede-a-holic
Old Timer
Yep it finaly happened to me,... i got bit in the thin part of skin between 2 fingers by a 14cm Yellowlegged Mutilans. :8o

I was cleaning up some leftovers of crickets with a tweezer,...
When i noticed a pede that seemed to be stuck underneath a corkbark that i just moved aside (what was i thinking,... a pede beeing stuck :rolleyes: )

anyway i tried to lift the bark with my hands instead of the tweezer,.... STUPID ME,... a mutilans turned around and snapped me between the fingers,... and DAMN !!!!!!!!!!! it really really hurts :eek: :eek:

It pierced my skin with his fangs,... can't described that pain what i felt the first seconds,.... :eek:

after that i felt a pain in my finger,... and it began to swell,...
there were 2 little "dracula / vampire" marks between my fingers.

shortly after that i felt a pain in my chest,... really not pleasant,...
(i consider myself a healthy young man,... so i can figure out what this could cause to weaker persons like children or so,... :( )

the pain in my chest didn't last long,.. at max. 5 minutes,...

the pain in my finger lasted for 1 hour at the same level,...

Now,... about 5 hours after the bit,... my finger still hurts on the spot where been bitten but is going numb from there on

Didn't noticed any other symptoms,...

Just wanted to share this experience ;)

Cheers

josh_cloud

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
yep. it happened to me. about 45minutes ago. i got hit on the top of the index finger at the joint closest to the tip. good puncture, a little bit of blood at first. about 10 minutes later a slight burn sets in. 20 minutes later, a bit of swelling. an odd thing is that the bite has made me sweat lightly. and the ac is on in the house (67deg.) other than that, no problems. it's hard for me to rate pain because i got hurt a while back, now i'm always on painkillers. actually though, the bite from a H. marginata hurts more.
bite + 1hr 15min.
30 minutes after initial posting, no symptoms

Last edited:

EightLeggedFrea

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My first bite report.

I was chomped by 1.5" pling. It was my own stupid fault it happened. I was nudging one of the plings, who was apart of a communal group of 5+ other centipedes. I did it with my index finger however and not my paintbrush. I don't why I did it I guess I just needed to know they were still alive. I had open their deli cup cage to mist them.

I nudged the small cluster of pedes only to one "jump" right right on my index finger and bite! It smarted a little, but I continued to perform maintenance on my other baby pedes (my lone female had bore these for me about a month prior). When I was done working, I asked my mom if we had any cigarette tobacco, which is what we generally use to treat bee/wasp/yellow jacket stings. I know pede venom is a little different from those, but I figured it would at least soak up the venom, what little was injected. We didn't have any, so I ended up putting some cortozone on it instead.

The pain lasted about 30 minutes, maybe 45 maybe less than 30. And it was more annoying really than anything. After about an hour, the "pain" was gone and all traces of the bite had vanished. All in all, not a horrible experience at all. But I guess it would be different story of an adult got me...

KyuZo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
so i was transfering my S. s. mutilans plings from my ten gallons to my 29 gallons tank using my hands. It was going pretty well until one of them decided to bite me.

It was like a bee sting. I woke up the next morning and totally forgot where it bit me. there was no indication either.

radicaldementia

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well I just got a friendly bite from one of my 2" S. mutilans plings. I was giving my plings water, and one started to try to climb out of his container. I've handled them before when they were smaller with no problems but this little guy had other plans in mind. As soon as my finger came near, it struck with blazing speed and got me on the index finger right under the first joint. I actually think he was trying to eat me, but I quickly and carefully flicked him off back into the container. There was no bleeding, but I could see the little puncture marks where he got me.

Almost immediately I felt a very sharp pain. For the first 10 minutes or so I was feeling fairly intense pain in my finger and the skin around the bite began to turn white as my finger swelled up. I also felt some tingling in my other fingers and wrist, but the pain stayed localized around the bite.

Its now been about 20 minutes, still feel a sharp pain at the bite, but its subsided a lot. The skin is very sensitive at the bite mark. My finger is a bit swollen and has a strange warm tingling feeling, kind of like how your finger feels when it warms up after being very cold. I also am feeling some muscle cramp-pain in my finger and part of my hand, but its very minor.

Now been about 45 minutes. Pain is mostly gone, finger is still swollen and it has a mild achy feeling, but its nothing to complain about....I am going to sleep now, I will update in the morning but I am guessing there will be little to no trace left.

Next day, my finger is still a little swollen, but otherwise no trace of the bite.

Last edited:

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Got bitten by a 5-inch long one on my right thumb about an hour ago. No immediate pain apart from the mechanical pain from the fang puncturing the skin. One puncture. Minimal or no swelling, but the area has turned red. Regular bursts of pain from the site, though nowhere near "the most intense pain you would ever experience", as some bite victims have claimed. This pain is easily half as intense as when I got bitten by my Phlogiellus inermis (a tarantula), and perhaps 50 times milder than a wasp sting.

In short, THEIR BITE IS OVER-HYPED. Here's one of the six I have; could possibly be the one that bit me.

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
This is getting addictive.

Last night, at about 1.40am local time, I set about trying to get bitten by one of my 5-to-6-inch long Sc. subspinipes mutilans. I handled one, got it onto my right hand. It must have decided I smelled like food, because it proceeded to bite me 3 times in 3 different places at the base of my right index finger. I gave it perhaps 10 seconds of bite time. Because of the 3 bites there were and still are 6 puncture wounds, 1 of which began to bleed a little. Initial pain was sharp, but that was probably the mechanical pain caused by the fangs. I quickly put the pede back in the tank, and soon the puncture wounds turned into white, slightly raised lumps, and there was a constant sharp pain as well as a tingling feeling. However the pain was manageable. By now it has been almost 12 hours since the incident and there is no more pain or swelling.

Tonight I would like to try getting bitten again to confirm the symptoms. It must be noted that this pede bit me THREE times and had its fangs in my skin for almost 10 seconds, and that it is over 13cm in length.

These pictures were taken approximately 10 minutes after I got bitten.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well...i finally got bit just 15 minutes ago.
i fed my smallest adult (about 3") a cricket by hand (yes,instead of tongs),knowing i might get bitten.
anyways,the pede striked but missed the cricket and got me.
the other pedes around it panicked and ran over it,so it let go almost immediately.
not much pain from the bite itself.
just slight sharp pain.
it just tingles a little,nothing much.
only slight swelling,almost unoticable.
the minute i got bit i squeezed as much blood as i could out then proceeded to do some maintenance.
several minutes later i just prepare some hot water and have my finger in it now.
we'll see how bad it really gets.

update:
the tingling lasted for only about 20-25 minutes after the bite...
took a bath and went out and i felt no effects from the bite.
the wounds are already closed up and unnoticeable the next day.
im disappointed,honestly.

Last edited:

Draiman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A handling video gone wrong...

I was actually planning to make a(nother) handling video, first of this adult 6" Scolopendra subspinipes mutilans, and then of my (probably more venomous!) unidentified 6" Scolopendra sp., but I guess I'll have to put that off for now... Maybe tonight.

20 minutes after the bite, and I'm getting some mild "bone ache" in the wrist, pain in my lymph nodes in my right armpit, plus plenty of swelling and bleeding at the bite site. There was also a bit of numbness and that familiar tingling feeling around 5-10 minutes post-bite, but it seems to be gone now. Nothing out of the ordinary though, pretty much the same effects as I got with the dozen-odd bites I have had from this species. The pain in the lymph nodes is a first though, but I think that's because I was bitten right on top of a large vein in my arm. I had entertained the unsavory prospect of developing a sensitivity to this species' venom before, considering the number of times I have allowed myself to be bitten, but now it's pretty clear I haven't. Nonetheless this guy really dug deep (I watched as he embedded his entire left fang into my skin and flesh)! Watch how I waited for him to let go, but he didn't so I had to look for my pair of tweezers but couldn't find it lol.

Either I am really insensitive to S. subspinipes mutilans venom, or it's simply weak. A bite from my other pede (unidentified, but likely a color variant of S. subspinipes subspinipes) would be a lot more "fun"...

OR I may be resistant to venom in general?

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdDvm9f2kgQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xdDvm9f2kgQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

KenTheBugGuy

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Bit

One tagged me. At first I thought oh this is not bad but then the pain started to spread. Was not unbearable but it did hurt for sure and don't really want to experience that again. I also developed some pockets that itched under the skin where it bit. Those eventual broke open from itching and were slightly infected but healed in a couple weeks.

oh and my joints hurt also on the finger it bit me.

super-pede

Arachnobaron
been bit 5-10 times.Swelling and burning is the usual.I got bit by a 4 inch today (inside of the elbow)and it hurts!severe throbbing pain in the area most likely from a fang hitting a nerve.

micheldied

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was bitten today, at about 7.55pm.

Was handling the almost 7 inch pede, when she (probably not a she... But I will refer to it as a she) dropped the cricket she was eating by accident.
At this point, she sank her fangs into my left wrist, but let go almost immediately and began searching for her food, running up and down my arm.
Then I got her onto my right arm because she was climbing too high up, and she bit me about 5 times on my forearm, in several places.
Most were shallow bites though, not drawing much blood, she was probably just searching for the cricket.

There was almost immediate swelling, but tiny, like a bed bug bite.
No real pain, just felt slightly tingly.

I put her back into her container and gave her the remaining of the cricket and carried on with my day, dinner etc.

I made no attempt to squeeze the venom out.

It is now 8.27pm here, and I feel nothing with the bites.
The tingly feelings were gone by about 20 minutes post-bite.
The little swells have mostly disappeared now.

In total, 6 bites, but all were shallow and there was either little to no venom injected at all.
I have been bitten before by this species, and effects were mostly the same, no real pain, a little swelling, and a tingly sensation.

9.10PM update, there is a slight muscle ache in my left shoulder, however not on my right shoulder.
I was bitten 5 times on the right forearm, and only once on the left arm.
Also, I did a lot of physical stuff, so the ache might not even be related to the bite, but I though i might as well post it.
There's probably not going to be any further symptoms.

Edit: Just realized that there was another thread for this species, sorry mods.
You can incorporate this thread into that one.

Here are the pics.
Very unclear though....
This is the pede that bit me...

And these are the little bumps, which may be hard to see...

Turns out I was wrong, further effects have occured.
These involve slight muscle aches in the arms, though almost unoticable unless I flex the muscles.
Slight fatigue in the chest, though this may be due to the fact that I am sleepy at 1am in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
wah, wah

biter: 4 1/2 in. scolopendra subspinipes mutilans
bitee: me, 13 year old, 5' 3", 105 pounds, reasonable tolerance for pain

this pede is legit aggro. i was putting its hide back into its enclosure, while it was on the other side, and as soon as mine hand touched the sub this guy was on me. i got bit on the middle of my right middle finger. the bite caused no bleeding, but while it was munching, it was able to get some venom in there. there was a *little* pinch and i thought "oh s***!" then i gently shook it off of my finger and and said, "oops." immediately after the bite i couldnt find any marks, but i could feel the venom taking effect. it wasnt painful, per se, but it hurt. it felt like there were needled trying to come out of my finger. yes, out. within a minute, small white swelled areas began to appear. it still wasnt that painful. the area around the bite began to swell within five minutes. in the next ten minutes the pain was just annoying. it is now about an hour or two later and the pain is almost gone and my finger is just slightly swelled. if this pede lives for more than a week, i will definitely be using 10" tongs from now on!:)

Spiderman937

Arachnopeon
Scolopendra Bites

I have to admit that One of the worst bite experiences I ever had was from a wild caught 8" Scolopendra when I was in Hawaii 15 years ago. I must have spooked it, usually they are able to be handled if you are really careful. Some bites are mild, but some can be absolutely terrible. Got bit on the finger. Extreme pain and swelling. Swelled so bad my finger skin split, my hand and wrist was swelled. The pain took days to reduce, and the swelling stayed for a while. When the swelling would seem to go back down, it would itch very bad, I'd scratch it, then would hurt and swell again. After about a week I was ok. I have had mild bites since then and nothing that bad exept when one bit twice in the same arm bicep last year. Again lots of pain and swelling, nausea, stomach cramps, and lying on the bathroom floor for hours waiting to puke and crap more fluids out both ends with red stuff. I was ok the next day. The rattle snake caused more swelling and muscle aches though. I'm posting a pic of the recent one that got me good. Here is a link to a bite report that shows bad news for one Scolopendra bite victim. http://www.ispub.com/journal/the_in..._a_centipede_scolopendra_moritans_bite-1.html

Last edited: