Can tarantulas be picked up with forceps/tweezers?

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i like using a fork to pick my spiders up.

of course you can't you might injure them.
best to use a cup to pick them up

and don't feed those
they stink for a reason

moose

xStainD

Arachnopeon
Never use anything metal/sharp to pick up a T. You could do some serious damage with a pair of tweezers. Also, just stick to crickets/roaches/mealworms. No wild caught insects.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As mentioned, no you cant. Always cup a tarantula or use a long paintbrush to gently shoo it into another container.

Rabid538

Arachnoknight
Old Timer

and don't feed those
they stink for a reason

moose
Haha, I made that my signature if that is alright with you. :worship:

Sutekh

Arachnopeon
Yes they can. Just ask my P. cancerides..."that just happened".

Now...would I suggest doing it often? No. But I have rubber coated forceps that are very long and somewhat flexible...all of which helps me control the pressure on the T while applying enough that the T doesn't fall out.

Most importantly, only the carapace should be grabbed in this manner.

So...it's tricky, risky, and not recommended. But CAN it be done, yes it can.

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yes they can. Just ask my P. cancerides..."that just happened".

Now...would I suggest doing it often? No. But I have rubber coated forceps that are very long and somewhat flexible...all of which helps me control the pressure on the T while applying enough that the T doesn't fall out.

Most importantly, only the carapace should be grabbed in this manner.

So...it's tricky, risky, and not recommended. But CAN it be done, yes it can.
Posts like these confuse people. Others are telling him the best for the t but then you come in and say that with rubber coated ones, you can pick them up without hurting them, but it is risky. Why would you even do it if you admittedly say its risky? Do not listen to the post above, there are other methods like picking them up in a cup. If you want to view the ventrally you can get a acrylic container from containerstore.com

Mez

Arachnoknight
I have a pair of 12" tweezers with foam padding on the end for emergency escapees. Never used them yet. Mine are behind a small enclosure (for wall catching) and a big cup for ground catching. Its just a final precaution I take. Behind that is something a lot heavier.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

Posts like these confuse people. Others are telling him the best for the t but then you come in and say that with rubber coated ones, you can pick them up without hurting them, but it is risky. Why would you even do it if you admittedly say its risky? Do not listen to the post above, there are other methods like picking them up in a cup. If you want to view the ventrally you can get a acrylic container from containerstore.com
And who the hell are you to tell someone not to listen to a post? Every post should be heard, whether someone takes their advice or not is a different matter.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i like using a fork to pick my spiders up.....
moose
moose,
I hahaha... till I had a hiccup..
I use pitchfork (hay fork or devil kind) I grow em big around here, hehe I pitchfork them, LOL

but in the serious note, I would not recommend use any forceps or tweezers or even forks,
Catch cups with lids is best and safe way to capture spider with out touching

DamoK21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
as oready said....

The only time that anyone should even use the "restraint/pinch grab", is when an injury has occured, and you need to preform, some medical "assistance"... That being said, if it is a neccesary thing to do, dont use tweezers.

Other wise, i see no readon for picking a spider up any other way than, a cup, with lid (dellicup), a paint brush or a long blunt item with padding around the end, and gently coax the spider into the cup, and place the lid on top... simples ;P

Poxicator

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Perhaps someone should tell Ray Gabriel not to use tweezers as there's a pic in the recent BTS journal doing so with a Poecilotheria.

The important thing is to catch/lift/examine your Ts with the method you are most comfortable with and one that reduces the risk to the T and yourself.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Perhaps someone should tell Ray Gabriel not to use tweezers as there's a pic in the recent BTS journal doing so with a Poecilotheria.

The important thing is to catch/lift/examine your Ts with the method you are most comfortable with and one that reduces the risk to the T and yourself.
Perhaps we should clear that using tweezers for picking up tarantulas with out hurting them can be very tricky and require quite a bit of practice (Ray seems to know what he is doing ;))
so to be in safe side
Catch cups with lids is best and safe way to capture spider with out touching

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Seems to me that using instruments to pick up a spider is kind of a no-brainer. Of course it isn't a good idea to use forceps, it can easily injure the animal by crushing it or by folding a leg/palp under and breaking it. Not to mention the damage they may inflict on themselves trying to get away.

Now, that said, this doesn't mean that with the right combination of tools and skill it can't be done. Anybody who tries this for the first time is putting their spider at risk. Obviously, some people have figured out the right tools for the job and have a light and smooth enough grasp to do it without injury to the animal.

It is possible for two people to disagree and both be right at the same time. In fact, it happens a lot in the real world.

Last edited:

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I have not picked up many spiders with tweezers (only one that I can remember actually), but I've seen that if it's done by the right hands, the risk of injury is low.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I mean, is it physicaly possible? Yes. Is it recommended? No.

Can you pic your nose with a scalpel? I wouldnt do it.

Geeeeeeeezzzzzzzz.........

PhobeToPhile

Arachnoknight
I picked my nose with a scalpel once. Once...
I note you are not stating whether you are now, ah, "nasally challenged". Or quite possibly "extremely unchallenged", dpending on how that went ;).

But yes, to me this is one of those things that just screams "Don't try this at home." Too easy to injure the spider if you don't know what you're doing.

Last edited:

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer

and don't feed those
they stink for a reason

moose
:D {D lmao!!! in that case, the next time i pick up my T... ill be using my chop sticks ....;P

Peace!!!

MrEMojo

Arachnosquire
eww! I cringed when I saw the title. I wouldnt try it. There are other proven methods soo why risk it.

Peace

kylestl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I have a pair of 12" tweezers with foam padding on the end for emergency escapees. Never used them yet. Mine are behind a small enclosure (for wall catching) and a big cup for ground catching. Its just a final precaution I take. Behind that is something a lot heavier.

---------- Post added at 10:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

And who the hell are you to tell someone not to listen to a post? Every post should be heard, whether someone takes their advice or not is a different matter.
I will tell someone to ignore a post when they admittedly say it is risky.