So my buddy disagrees with us...

Blaze

Arachnopeon
his argument: he hates tarantulas because he believes they are useless. he says there is no point to them. he states : 1. they cant be trusted because one of my tarantulas bit me (Brandon3000) quite some time ago.
2. he does not like the way they walk because he says its creepy.
3. theres nothing beautiful about them.

now my objective is to give him the opportunity to see how magnificent these creatures really are. any ideas on some arguments i can present to him? he says that he will appreciate them if i show him a reason to because in his eyes, they're useless.
need your help AB :angelic:

venom81

Arachnopeon
tarantulas are important in our world, and how they may someday save lives. Currently, exciting and promising research studies are being conducted into a peptide found in tarantula venom that can be used to treat brain tumors, muscular dystrophy, Parkinson's disease, atrial fibrillation that leads to heart attacks, neuropathy (pain originating in nerve fibers), and sickle cell anemia...or something like that i guess.

captmarga

Arachnobaron
Well, in my own opinion, fire ants are useless...

Once a person is dead set on opinion, it's often not worth arguing or debating with them. Some people don't like dogs, others don't like cats, and you can't convince one of the merits of the other.

Tarantulas are part of the food chain - they are eaten by larger predators and they themselves help keep the insect population in check.

Someday studies of how arachnids regenerate perfect limbs after a molt may help find a similar gene coding in humans.

Good luck with your buddy...

Marga

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
he hates tarantulas because he believes they are useless: the only animals that are useless are guinea pigs
they cant be trusted because one of my tarantulas bit me quite some time ago: all animals will bite, so will children and drunk men
he does not like the way they walk because he says its creepy: this is false
theres nothing beautiful about them: there's nothing beautiful about HIM...and he smells

So there

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
he hates tarantulas because he believes they are useless: the only animals that are useless are guinea pigs
they cant be trusted because one of my tarantulas bit me quite some time ago: all animals will bite, so will children and drunk men
theres nothing beautiful about them: there's nothing beautiful about HIM...and he smells

So there
Lol, Jeff...you just made my sig. ;)

jim777

Arachnosquire
My Dad used to say, "Don't ever spend time trying to teach a pig to talk. You only succeed in wasting your time, and you annoy the pig".

The situation with your friend is the same. He doesn't like T's, he doesn't like T's end of story. You don't need to convert the unwashed masses ;) Dismiss his criticism with a quick "your loss" and be done with it. It's like trying to convince someone a type of music is worth their while; it usually cannot be done.

Which reminds me, if you see a link on Facebook promising free tracks from the new Nickelback album, don't follow it! It leads to a site with free tracks from the new Nickelback album. LOL

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Lol, Jeff...you just made my sig. ;)
nice ::fist pump::

Which reminds me, if you see a link on Facebook promising free tracks from the new Nickelback album, don't follow it! It leads to a site with free tracks from the new Nickelback album. LOL
That's both funny and an important public service announcement, all in one. Thank you for the warning Jim

LV-426

Arachnobaron

So there
On a rampage lol

Sage

Arachnopeon
State that fear (finding something creepy) comes from ignorance. Tarantulas have their own breeding habits and instincts just like any other critter. Once you know more about them they just look like any other creature/animal. Just because they don't carry little briefcases, wear converse sneakers or listen to loud music, doesn't mean they're creepy. It just means they're different. Like I said, the people who find tarantulas creepy, or fear sharks or snakes just fear them because being human often means fearing the unknown.

Arachnoholic

Arachnopeon
Fear of spiders is incredibly common and fear breeds dislike, hatred etc. However it is very very irrational to fear or dislike something just because you don't understand it. I find everything about tarantulas to be fascinating. I believe everyone is entitled to their opinions as long as those opinions arent pressured on me or anyone else for that matter. +1 to Tarantulas

Vespula

Arachnodemon
Doesn't trust tarantulas? I trust my tarantulas more than I trust most of the people I know. And that's a fact.

Amoeba

Arachnolord
"Well there seems to be a problem here
When the scale of emotions seems too clear
Now They rise and fall like wall street stock
And they have an affect on our peace talk

Our opinions. Mmm. Mmm.
My opinions. Mmm. Mmm."

Listen to Nirvana about this one. People are going to think what they want to think.

smoothie4l

Arachnopeon

So there
You just made an awesome point, you get virtual high five for that. Although personally house flys might just be the most useless if you don't count feeding my little house spiders.

vickywild

Arachnoknight
Unfortunately it's kind of to be expected when you are in to such a hobby. It's outwith the norm really isn't it. And it annoys me beyond belief but hey, it's them who're missing out :)!

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The guy sounds like a small minded idiot to me.