Grammostola Pulchripes help

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My G. Pulchripes is probably about 3-4" and I have been keeping it in a critter keeper for about a week or two now. And the other day I tried to move it into a ten gallon. It freaked out. It ran from side to side and climbed up the walls every chance it got and even fell a few times. I immediately took it out and put it back in the critter keeper. Well I tried keeping the keeper in the 10 gallon a few days. Then I tried again today while it was eating, I moved it into the ten gallon, same reaction. When I bought it from the pet store it was in a little glass tank probably like a one or two gallon. What should I do?

Arachnoholic420

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
First off you need a smaller Enclosure like 5g , sholud be fine... second could that your substrate is to wet or damp... these guys like dry...... so let your substrate dry out... third leave her be and let her get used to her new home.... they are pretty hardy.... they just dont like damp substrate...

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks, I had just bought the substrate though, the dry coconut fiber so I don't know, I'm just worried about it falling, would the substrate be harmful to fall onto? If it climbs to the top it will be falling about 5 or 6 inches

Roski

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Generally climbing space is restricted to 1-1.5X the leg span of the T (if the T in question is a terrestrial). Coco fiber is a great substrate, very puffy on the surface when kept as dry as a pulchripes needs, and should be able to cushion a fall. It couldn't hurt to add another inch or two of substrate, though.

axle37

Arachnosquire
Generally climbing space is restricted to 1-1.5X the leg span of the T (if the T in question is a terrestrial). Coco fiber is a great substrate, very puffy on the surface when kept as dry as a pulchripes needs, and should be able to cushion a fall. It couldn't hurt to add another inch or two of substrate, though.
what is the term for non-terrestrial t's and what specs should the tank meet in that case?

SC Tarantulas

Arachnoknight
what is the term for non-terrestrial t's and what specs should the tank meet in that case?
The term is arboreal. For these T's floor space is not as important as vertical space (lots of area to climb)
As far as "specs."..... this all depends on the size of the T.

LucasNorth

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My G. pulchripes is similar, whenever I rehouse (or replace substrate) she will spend a couple days on the side. Leave her be while she adjusts, and just my two cents but I wouldnt recommend rehousing when she has a full abdomen.
I do the majority of my rehousing after a molt for this exact reason.

Glubu

Arachnosquire
Although I'm a noob at spiders and that I don't keep any pulchripes I just wanted to say that my female G. rosea did the exact same when I moved her.
After a while on the side she climbed down and now she is just on the ground webbing everything.

MissChelly

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah, it's possibly the wet substrate. I noticed that with mine when I first got him and had to take him out till the substrate dried. Then he was happy and doing the typical "re-modeling." :p

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Ahahah, back before the rookie cop rose through the ranks to become sheriff substrate!

kelvintheiah

Arachnosquire
this is good even though it is an old thread. im planning to get g. pulchripes as one of my first T.