Sick S. Cal? Please help

orlefx8d

Arachnopeon
I live in a cold climate and I had a power outage yesterday for 7+hrs and the temperature dropped in my house quite a bit(around 12 degrees C.) One of my inch and half Stromatopelma calceatum seems to be the only casualty it has been curled up, up high in its container in the typical spider death position for nearly 20hrs now. I'm sure it was in premolt before the power outage and now I feel as if it will die if I do nothing but I know not to bother a T in premolt. I think the problem may be environmental as the last cricket I tried to feed it is still at the bottom of the container and as its an S. Cal I didn't want to chance retrieving it. I really want to try to rehouse to try to save its life. Any advice would be appreciated, quickly please.

JadeWilliamson

Arachnoknight
Has it moved any? If it's upside down and looks like it could be molting obviously leave it alone. But I haven't ever seen a T that small take 20+ hours to molt. If it hasn't moved, I would prod it gently (please don't use your finger) to try to milk a response. If there is still no movement, rehouse it to an ICU.

That's the course of action I would take.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ah! Another Canuck!

I live in a cold climate and I had a power outage yesterday for 7+hrs and the temperature dropped in my house quite a bit(around 12 degrees C.) One of my inch and half Stromatopelma calceatum seems to be the only casualty it has been curled up, up high in its container in the typical spider death position for nearly 20hrs now. I'm sure it was in premolt before the power outage and now I feel as if it will die if I do nothing but I know not to bother a T in premolt. I think the problem may be environmental as the last cricket I tried to feed it is still at the bottom of the container and as its an S. Cal I didn't want to chance retrieving it. I really want to try to rehouse to try to save its life. Any advice would be appreciated, quickly please.
Jade's points are all good. Because the tarantula is obviously pretty sick I don't think you have to worry about a bite. And, even if it did, it's so small I'm sure you'd survive to tell all your grand-kids!

:biggrin:

Use a teaspoon, tablespoon, or serving spoon to move it gently. Get it out of its cage and into an ICU for 3 or 4 days at least. In the meantime get rid of the cricket since your tarantula won't be interested in eating it for some time to come under any circumstances.

A few of us who live in the far north also live in areas that suffer frequent power outages, being often quite isolated. We've managed to develop the practice of keeping a bunch of the disposable, chemical hand warmers around for emergencies like yours. (See below.) When the lights go out and the house temperature drops into the low 60s F (mid teens C) we group all our tarantulas together on a comforter, sleeping bag, nest of blankets, etc. Then we activate one or more of the hand warmers and place it/them in the middle of the group or scatter them around the group, and cover the whole shebang with another comforter, sleeping bag or several layers of blankets. There is a small fire hazard with this system, and a chance of overheating or burning some of the nearby cages. Stick your hand under the covers between the cages from time to time to assess whether you need to add more or remove some of the warmers. Or, replace them as they expire. Some people place them in aluminum foil trays or bowls as a precaution. You have to employ a little common sense and plan accordingly.

Here are some links to show you what I mean. But, I'm not necessarily endorsing any brand or vendor/source.

Grabber MyCoal

Grabber Warmers

HeatMax Hothands

Little Hotties

If this sort of thing is distressingly common in your area, consider buying an adequate number of the very largest, more inexpensive, Styrofoam picnic coolers you can find. For these, only one hand warmer per cooler is often enough.

Best of luck.

Last edited:

orlefx8d

Arachnopeon
Thank you both very much I will keep you posted on its condition. And Stan thanks for the wonderful book I have a copy on my end table at all times.

orlefx8d

Arachnopeon
I sadly regret that despite all efforts my poor little S Cal has died. Thanks again for the advice and if this situation happens again I am more prepared to deal with it.