Sads

scott99

Arachnoknight
how common is SADS. because I want to get a Avicularia metallica, but I'm afraid of it having SADS. Should I just get a psalmopoeus cambridgei or what.:eek:

Last edited:

ALBO2

Arachnopeon
I'd hit the search function for Avic care. Lots of people here know their stuff on how to raise these guys. Proper cross ventilation is critical, along with not drenching the enclosure with excessive misting. I've had my A. metallica slings for a year or two, and with proper care they're growing up happy and healthy.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
SADS isn't common at all, mainly because it doesn't exist. Give them cross ventilation and don't make the tank a swamp.

horanjp

Arachnosquire
I vaccinated my avics last year against the SADS going around this season and they now all have arachnid autism. I blame the government.
Don't fret too much about it. Get an avic avic sling after you do plenty of reading and take the plunge. Metallicas are pretty cheap too, so it's not too sad if things don't work out. When you think you're ready, go ahead and get one. They're a really neat genus.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
The highest loss rate for slings is with Avicularia. Many beginners don't have a feel for them and lose theirs. Until you get more experience with terrestrials, you should probably hold off. There's no rush and we don't need another 'My Dead Avic' thread.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Wow. I have seen "SADS" mentioned, and assumed it stood for "Sudden Arachnid Death Syndrome" This gave me one of those face-palm moments when it dawned on me that the 'A' stands for "Avicularia". I guess it never occurred to me because I don't follow Avic discussions very closely.

cold blood

Staff member
SADS is like bigfoot...people talk and talk about it, but its not a proven problem. I actually put more weight on bigfoot being real.

SADS is actually just a description of symptoms and not an actual disease or anything...like having a fever.

The problem, more often than not, lies in the persons husbandry and not with the t (or genus) its self.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
as far as I am aware, have learned, and have been taught by experienced Avic keepers, the A. Versicolor is the only Avic i know of that needs more than average ventilation. Aside from that I know people who raise Avics and have had great success with average cross ventilation, slightly moist sub, water dish and smilin' spiders

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I wouldn't get an Avic if I was you. Ts are a known vector of SADs and it can be passed on to humans, you will end up with symptoms like the flu and it could lead to Ebola-like symptoms and you will die. Avoid this genus at all costs.

MrCrackerpants

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I vaccinated my avics last year against the SADS going around this season and they now all have arachnid autism. I blame the government.
You, my friend, deserve multiple dancing monkeys for this eloquent comment.

:3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3::3:

bchbum11

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
As was already mentioned, SADs does not exist... It is simply an outdated term that was invented to describe the above average mortality rate in Avic slings. Most recommend keeping them on dry substrate with good cross ventilation and regular light misting of their webbing to provide drinking water. I'm sure other methods could be successful also, but that is the one I've used with very good results for 7 different species.

If you're set on one of the 2 species you mentioned, I would go with the Avic and get 3-4 slings just in case one doesn't make it. If all of them survive (which is likely), then you'll have extra adults to trade and expand your collection in a couple years. A metallica are fairly inexpensive, and taking care of 3-4 slings really doesn't take much more time than taking care of just one. Psalmopoeus is more of an intermediate species. While they aren't hard to work with, they are faster, more unpredictable, and pack a stronger punch venom wise than Avics do. It sounds like you're relatively new to the hobby (correct me if I'm wrong), so a Psalmo probably wouldn't be the best choice.

brezo

Arachnosquire
Go grab one! I dont know how terestrial T experience should help you with avics since its totally diferent specie to care for and has its own needs. Crucial is ventilation. Ventilation ventilation and again ventilation!! I had avics as my first T, actually 4 of them, and all are now, 3 inch +.

PS: i dont mist mine. They have a big water dish at their disposal.

Sana

Arachnoprince
I've heard others suggest that for your first avic, starting with a juvie or a sub adult is a great way to go. Apparently the larger the avic the more forgiving it is of husbandry issues. That isn't meant to mean that they are bomb proof at larger sizes, just that they aren't as delicate as slings. I got my first avic as a sub adult, and thankfully she was pretty forgiving of my early mistakes. She's been a great teacher of proper husbandry for the genus and I feel confident that I could now care correctly for a sling of the same species. If she had been a sling when I brought her home though, I doubt that I would be sharing a positive experience today. Proper husbandry is ridiculously important for avics.

eldondominicano

Arachnobaron
I've heard others suggest that for your first avic, starting with a juvie or a sub adult is a great way to go. Apparently the larger the avic the more forgiving it is of husbandry issues. That isn't meant to mean that they are bomb proof at larger sizes, just that they aren't as delicate as slings. I got my first avic as a sub adult, and thankfully she was pretty forgiving of my early mistakes. She's been a great teacher of proper husbandry for the genus and I feel confident that I could now care correctly for a sling of the same species. If she had been a sling when I brought her home though, I doubt that I would be sharing a positive experience today. Proper husbandry is ridiculously important for avics.
Husbandry for any spider will be easier the larger they are. Slings always require more maintenance

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It's about as common as bad husbandry practices. Where you find one you'll find the other ;)