Beginner Questions

Angel Minkov

Arachnobaron
This is what happens when we don't have good topics to talk about; tl;dr just feed your spiders food.
True. I only visit the forums nowadays to talk to breeders because of my projects. I registered here to "update" my knowledge, because people in my country have been spouting the same stuff for 6-7 years now. Besides visiting to talk to a handful of people, I also visit to check for Poec54 posts, because they're always packed with interesting info.

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
I'm not arguing with anyone, just telling it how I see it. Go to posts #6/10 on that "odd" thread....I'm not the only one who sees it this way;)

According to post #9, you agree....hmmmm
The arguing part wasn't directed at you, it was at the thread since it's what seems to have happened. I realize that wasn't very clear.

And yeah, I know people sees it differently(see post #13 in that thread) and that was my whole point, you need to agree on the definition before discussing it further or it will be a pointless debate.

And according to post #9, I didn't know any other definition since I wasn't really familiar with the term, but if we're talking feeding crickets, I'm on the side of providing them food and water at all times, it just seems logical.

Azulupei

Arachnopeon
Going to interrupt the debate with a different question. Is a hide necessary for a 1" G. pulchripes sling? Like I said, it will be in a 16 oz deli cup and I didn't find anything small enough at the local pet store or Petsmart.

BobGrill

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Going to interrupt the debate with a different question. Is a hide necessary for a 1" G. pulchripes sling? Like I said, it will be in a 16 oz deli cup and I didn't find anything small enough at the local pet store or Petsmart.
You could just have created a separate thread for this.

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I like to provide at least a couple leaves off a fake plant or small bit of cork ark for them them to build a burrow under. I just make a small depression in the sub, lay the leaves or bark over it and voila, simple hide/ beginning burrow. :)

cold blood

Staff member
It shouldn't be too difficult to find a hide. I'd look in the woods before the LPS...heck, a dry leaf would work. The hide will generally just be a starting point for the burrow and the hide (and decorations like plants) are likely to become buried as sub is brought from beneath and brought to the top.

Just keep it nice and simple....easiest for you, easiest for the t as the more cluttered it is, the more hiding places prey has.

I'm actually glad you kept it here....starting new threads for every question is kind of a pet peeve of mine on the forums...the more spread out the info is, the less effective the search function will be.

cold blood

Staff member
Here's an example. Hide, small plant (just to add color) and some moss that I can dampen and a water bottle lid for a dish.

Attachments

Azulupei

Arachnopeon
It's okay. No worries! And cold blood, wouldn't bringing in a leaf from outside be harmful? I'm worried it could bring in pests and who knows w

Sam_Peanuts

Arachnobaron
A hide isn't really necessary at 1" because they'll likely burrow, but it's a good thing to have in case they're lazy since they'll be less likely to kick hair if they have a place to hide. When I didn't have anything, I used a grapefruit leaf from my indoor attempt at a grapefruit tree.
It's not too hard to check a single outdoor leaf for pests and as long as it's not near somewhere that is sprayed with pesticides, it should be fine.
If you're still worried about the leaf, go with a fake one as ratluvr76 said.

cold blood

Staff member
It's okay. No worries! And cold blood, wouldn't bringing in a leaf from outside be harmful? I'm worried it could bring in pests and who knows w
I've been using wood from outside for 15 years without issue, a dry leaf is even less of a worry, wash it and you're good to go.

I will say that I'm lucky to have expansive areas of woods that are protected areas, I don't get it from the back yard where the neighbor's lawn chemicals could be present.

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I've been using wood from outside for 15 years without issue, a dry leaf is even less of a worry, wash it and you're good to go.

I will say that I'm lucky to have expansive areas of woods that are protected areas, I don't get it from the back yard where the neighbor's lawn chemicals could be present.
I was about to say, guess that highly depends on where you live at. Right next to a nuclear power plant or a chemical plant might not yield good results :p

ratluvr76

Arachnodemon
I was about to say, guess that highly depends on where you live at. Right next to a nuclear power plant or a chemical plant might not yield good results :p
Well that leaves the collecting of wild barks and leaves out for me then lol, there are 4or 5 BIG chemical plants within a 20 mile radius from my house lol.

tonypace2009

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I gave up on giving my Gramastola Pulchripes a hide they dig up and burry everything especially the water dish. Have 5 of them about 2"DLS they only stop digging to eat and molt. One of my hides is now at the bottom of the inclosure may it rest in peace.