P. metallica breeding in the U.S.!!

Swifty

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry for the poor quality photos folks, but that wasn't what was important at the moment...

Lets cross our fingers Scott!

I'm going to try to get some better shots, but this was the first encounter, and I didn't want to disturb :D

Last edited:

Jakob

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh no you didn't! :eek:

I wish you a lot of luck and please keep us updated!

Later,

Jake

webspinner

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Good luck Kelly, looks like you might be on your way on becoming a rich man.

AphonopelmaTX

Staff member
I thought there were only one or two egg sacs brought into the states. Were there wild caught adults brought in, more sacs, or are those two related? Either way it's very cool to see so much blue and yellow. :)

-Lonnie

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Im really anxious to see the outcome of this! (and the price of *possible* spiderlings which hopefully should be less than what weve been seeing lately. )

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
AphonopelmaTX said:
I thought there were only one or two egg sacs brought into the states. Were there wild caught adults brought in, more sacs, or are those two related? Either way it's very cool to see so much blue and yellow. :)

-Lonnie
If Scott or Kelly don't mind that I answer this...

They are definitely not wild caught. They are of European c/b bloodlines. I can't remember if there are 2 or 3 bloodlines currently in the US right now (mainly because I don't have any metallica myself! :mad: ) but absolutely c/b none the less.

Scott and Kelly, I wish you guys the best of luck! Y'all can do it...errrr they can do it...ummm...as long as someone friggin does it! :}

*fingers crossed*
Atrax

FryLock

Banned
Old Timer
IME you can get most pokes to adulthood in the same time frame males and females iv only done it with P.reg but im sure it can be done with any good luck with a sac :)

Angelo

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
holy <poop>!!! your making history swifty!!!! :eek: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

RazorRipley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Gonna have to race Jacobi though... dont forget <edited>

Last edited by a moderator:

Tony

Arachno-pragmatarian
Old Timer
Atrax said:
If Scott or Kelly don't mind that I answer this...

They are definitely not wild caught. They are of European c/b bloodlines. I can't remember if there are 2 or 3 bloodlines currently in the US right now (mainly because I don't have any metallica myself! :mad: ) but absolutely c/b none the less.

Scott and Kelly, I wish you guys the best of luck! Y'all can do it...errrr they can do it...ummm...as long as someone friggin does it! :}

*fingers crossed*
Atrax
Its confusing isnt it? The three I have are dated with 3 dates, so thats 3 eggsacs, plus last summers babies. Thing is, the females that are around now are being bred with males from that same time, so I hope we had 2 eggsacs back then (and people kept track of them!!!!) Plus, 3 eggsacs may have the same father...Only the origianl breeder knows for sure what's going on....
There are others doing it here too ya know ;)
T
(good seeing ya again gary and meeting eric...)

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
monantony said:
There are others doing it here too ya know ;)
T
(good seeing ya again gary and meeting eric...)

I wonder who else is breeding them? Oh well, if they wanted folks to know, they would probably have pics up too, huh?

Yeah, good as hell to see you too Tony. Look foreward to hangin' with ya at the conference next year as well.

Later.
Atrax

rosehaired1979

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Kelly and Scott good luck I hope the egg sac is successful and yall have lots of slings to sell :)

MrDeranged

He Who Rules
Staff member
Whoo Hooo Kelly. I'm guessing that you wouldn't have bothered posting if he didn't get an insert...? I'm sure I don't have to tell you to keep me informed... ;) Fingers and Toes are crossed ;)

@RazorRipley - Seeing as:

1. Michael's female isn't mature yet &
  2. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person in the US with mature males at this time

I don't think we'll have to beat him anytime soon...

No more personal attacks or it's vacation time.....

@ Michael - You know I'll have one for you by the time she matures too ;)

@ Everyone else -

To my knowledge, there are currently at least 5 bloodlines of P. metallica in the states. The first batch which came in last year had 2 bloodlines and the more recent one had at least 3 or 4. If there were 4, the fourth came in with very very limited numbers

Thank you all for the well wishes, we hope it works out too!!!!

Scott

Martin H.

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hi FryLock,

FryLock said:
IME you can get most pokes to adulthood in the same time frame males and females iv only done it with P.reg but im sure it can be done with any good luck with a sac :)
in my experience there are a lot of species of which males and females of the same eggsack, raised under the same conditions(!), often mature arround the same time (sometimes the females mature even before the males), even when you don't power feed the females and cool down the males. => females are often mature at a much smaller size than most people do assume! (e.g. last year I got an eggsack from a "smaller" Poecilotheria rufilata female: bodylength ~ 4,5-5 cm (messured without chelicera; with chelicera she had about 5,2 cm, but had been a bit skinny at that moment when I messured her. At this time her legspan has been 16 cm [diagonally and fully stretched]. The eggsack was not been really big and contained only few larvaes. About 30-40.)

all the best,
Martin

LaRiz

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For the most part, we've been taught that males mature quicker than females do. Of course there are so many factors involved that would inhibit or speed up the process to an ultimate/sexual maturing molt, so I can't get into that. But...like I've always said, tarantulas will make an ass out of you.
They don't follow rules, or follow what we think we know about them. More and more, I'm starting to believe that some Poecs will breed earlier than we think. Example: Poecilotheria subfusca. She's young and small, but she managed an eggsac (only one baby survived from a cooked eggsac). That sac was laid only 1 month and 3 weeks after she bred. Her second sac (only two days old now) was made only 2 months after the last male was with her.
Kelly, things are looking good for you. The female in the pic is totally dilated (for lack of a better word) and ready to accept the males offering. Good luck man!
I, myself, am only an instar away (hopefully) from pairing up my biggest female. He's ready to molt, but man they take long!
john

Last edited: