Amanda ?

PeterKlaasi

Arachnopeon
This girl Amanda said she was getting a N. Chromatus on thursday and post the pictures. Has anyone seen her around the board yet ?

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Hahaha. Sorry, I've been busy the past couple days.

All arrived safe and happy. The 3" usumbara seems to be far more docile than I've ever heard them described, and he/she is already webbing away in the back corner. :mad: The 1.5" female chaco molted in transit and one of her back legs hardened up with a very noticable bend in it, but she had no trouble running down a live cricket in a small critter keeper, so I'll just wait for the next molt to work it out. The smaller chaco (freebie) is living happily in a seashell, and the 1/4" Nhandu chromatus is digging multiple burrows all around the sides of the vial it's in. All Ts ate their first night home. :D I was actually pretty amused because my redknee and my rosehair ate immediately like they always do, but all 4 new ones waited till they were alone in the room to even show the slightest interest in food.

Pictures...

Usumbara

1.5" Female Chaco

3/4" Unsexed Chaco

1/4" Nhandu chromatus

Those were all the new ones. Here's a couple pictures of my adult female G.rosea and my 2" female B.smithi. :D

My rose is in need of a good molt. She was wild-caught and hasn't molted since she was captured. Some of you may have read about the egg sac she laid and then ate shortly after I got her. That is why I'm sure she hasn't molted in quite a while.

The redknee is downright obese, but she barely lets the crickets hit the ground before she devours them... every single time. It's amazing.

jwasted

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol yeah it looks like she has some junk in the trunk. They all look pretty good and well kept.

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Thanks!

I forgot to mention that all 4 new Ts came from Scott's Tarantulas. I was thrilled with what I got and will definitely order again. The little redknee is from Glades Herp. They have a pretty high minimum order for shipping, but I live close enough to pick up Ts in person. The rose is from a local pet store.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Amanda,
Can you please post a pic of you "rosie" when she moults???

Thanks,
Steve

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Absolutely! I hope she does soon. I want to see how gorgeous she'll be. The pink in her carpace has become much more brown lately, but she still eats like a champ. Maybe she'll just be a weird rose and skip her premolt entirely. :?

PeterKlaasi

Arachnopeon
High I missed you from the board, now that you returned I was late ...
I really like the Usumbara. I didn't know what kind it first innitially was and thougght it was a murinus, but as I looked it up on google it said "Pterinochilus usumbara" wich is in the same family as the murinus. Is it as 'defensive' as the murinus? They say the murinus is more or less a advanced spider cause of it's venom and multiple bite wound inflictions. How's that on this one?

As for the N. Chromatus it's about the smallest spider I have ever seen. It's really cute. Probably just hatched from the sack...
The Rosea is looking good and the redknee? still has to show his colors and all in all are looking fine.

Last edited:

Amanda

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Actually, this one is a P.murinus. So many people have referred to the pictures as an usumbara, that I assumed that "usumbara" was the common name for P.murinus. {D My mistake. This guy/girl seems to be incredibly docile. I haven't taken it out to "play," of course... but scooting it out of the container it came in, and even nudging it off of the screen lid with a brush so I can open the tank, it hasn't shown even the slightest hint of skittishness, much less a threat display.

The little N.chromatus took out 2 flightless fruitflies on its first night, and I just snapped a few horribly blurry pictures of it munching another one. I love a good eater!

Speaking of good eaters... The smallest chaco ate 3 flightless fruitflies on Thursday night, but I decided to give him/her a small cricket tonight. I picked out the smallest small cricket I had, and also gave it a few fruitflies just in case. I came back an hour later, and she was munching cricket!

I expect the redknee to earn her stripes at the next molt. She only molted a month ago, but has a very prominent dark black patch on her abdomen, so she may do so again soon.

Steve Nunn

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hi Amanda,
Yours is a P.murinus, but it's the "Usumbara" form, the bright orange one, or RCF. Typical P.murinus are a lot more grey/brown then orange. They are the same species, just two different colour forms, that's all.

So, both names are correct, Usumbara is a common name for this spider (which originated form the mountain range this form is found in), but only in the colour form you possess :)

Steve

Last edited:

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
PeterKlaasi said:
So i got it right the first time then? It's a Murinus, those are dangerous right?

P. murinus is not "dangerous". They are simply one of the more defensive tarantulas and they're also quite fast. If given an appropriate set-up, an experienced and confident caretaker, and little handling or disturbance except when absolutely necessary, they aren't that bad. But still a more advanced species.

PeterKlaasi

Arachnopeon
yea. I have to admit I've seen some of the finest Rosea species on this board. I had a all over brown one once (when iwas 16) but we had to do it away because of my mother. The spider nearly gave her a heartattack

Mina

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Amanda,
Don't worry, your rosehair will moult, eventually. Mine did the same thing yours did. Laid an eggsack two weeks after I got her, we took the eggsack away after a month. I was told she would them moult, and I was glad cause she needed to. Well, she didn't. She ate like she hadn't ever been fed before, but no moult. It was 3 months before she moulted and she didn't even fast for a full three weeks before hand. She gained a half an inch after the moult, and from what I understand, none of that should have happened. Rosehairs!!!! Go figure.

PeterKlaasi

Arachnopeon
Well again a compliment on your collection Amanda :D
I do have another question for you experts here on the board tho however ...
Does anybody know how big the Ornithoctonus costalis get ? I mean in inches.
As far as I can tell it has a small belly body. and it's legs arent' spread wide apart and don't give the spider any real mass. so i was thinking it's a smaller species of tarantula, but ofcourse that could be due to the reason i only have seen baby pictures of the T and no adults yet...

Last edited:

MindUtopia

Arachnoking
Old Timer
PeterKlaasi said:
Well again a compliment on your collection Amanda :D
I do have another question for you experts here on the board tho however ...
Does anybody know how big the Ornithoctonus costalis get ? I mean in inches.
As far as I can tell it has a small belly body. and it's legs arent' spread wide apart and don't give the spider any real mass. so i was thinking it's a smaller species of tarantula, but ofcourse that could be due to the reason i only have seen baby pictures of the T and no adults yet...
O. costalis are on the slightly smaller side compared to other related species. I've never seen an adult (as they are fairly rare), but my guess would be about 4" based on scale in pics. You will see that nearly all old world species have less body mass than new world species, so they often appear smaller or when they are quite large, lankier, than new world species of comparable LS.