Rearing Early Instar "Bark Scorpions"

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Australis said:
I'm particularly worried for my C.arctimanus. They have not eaten yet. I'm thinking of housing them together but was a bit worried as they are still small.
About 3cm length...male is 4 cm.
If they are plump dont worry about them not eating. Just try again every few days

Can I bunk them together ?
Did you reread this post?
http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showpost.php?p=666511&postcount=18
If they are adults then go for it. If not dont try it :)

How bout my babycurus tat are a bit bigger at 4-5 cm ?
hmmmmmmm I'm terrible at converting metric to standard. Adults are 3-4 inches so whatever that converts to in metric. A male jacksoni will have more bulbuous claws. See if any of yours are like that

Ryan C.

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
4-5 cm is about 2 inches. Like I said they are notorious for cannabilizing when young.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
RyanC said:
4-5 cm is about 2 inches. Like I said they are notorious for cannabilizing when young.
In that case they arent ready to be put together. The Centruroides he got may be adults. It seems like this is a smaller species if memory serves me correct.

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmmm.
Colors out and the male is like a skinny twig...a bit of spare tyres here and there. Is that considered fat ? The females are a bit rounded though

The arctimanus female is at 1/2 inch body length with the tail rolled up. male is about 0.7inches excluding the tail...tail will be double that number...
I see that they seem skittish so i tot maybe i shud put the other two babes in there with him...

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You might want to see for sure if they are adults. That is a fairly rare species you are dealing with so everyone is precious. I would hate for you to lose any of them

Australis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Yeah tell me about it...
Anyone have any idea how big they can get ?
Planning to ship thme into a bigger tub so that they can stretch their legs...is tat ok ?

emmille

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
whoah

would this be the longest thread? cool!!

i got my 4 C.hentzi last week and they are still around 1cm each. though they are still small i love them. this is my 2nd type of scorpion to have. my 1st one is H.spinifer. well, bark scorpions are cool!!!!!!! {D {D {D

i haven't had encounter a problem...hope you guys would help me out just in case!!! thanks!!!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
emmille said:
would this be the longest thread? cool!!
Its all Luc's fault that this thread is sooooo long. He tricked me into hijacking my own thread by talking about desert scorps hahahaha{D {D {D

Just messing with ya Luc. :)

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brian,

Took your advice regarding vertical structure and just completed a small viv set-up in a 1/2 gallon clear plastic jar for my newly acquired L. mucronatus.
I provided a few pieces of horizontal cover (small pieces of cork bark atop 2" of peat/topsoil substrate) placed upon the substrate and used a 7" x 3" piece of 3/4" cork bark as a vertical structure. However, I modified the vertical cork bark structure by attaching pieces of dried sphagnum moss to the bark then by drilling multiple 1/2" diameter x 1.5-2" holes along the sides of the cork bark to provide compact shelters for the L. mucronatus, which all adopted the holes overnight.
As one of the fems is definitely gravid and I suspect the second fem is as well, this set-up will provide for a moisture retentive area (the cork bark under the moss) and a place for the "kids" to "hang-out" during ecdysis.
Hell, I might even grab up a few C. margaritatus and try breeding them in a larger set-up to see if such a set-up reduces the high-rates of mortality?

Take care...Luc

Prymal

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Brian,

Suuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrre, like it took a lot of arm-twisting to get ya talking 'bout desert scorps! LOL

Take care...Luc

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Barkscorpions said:
Hell, I might even grab up a few C. margaritatus and try breeding them in a larger set-up to see if such a set-up reduces the high-rates of mortality?

Take care...Luc
I tried that with little success. After molting, it seemed the others had a race to see which could eat the newly molted once first. They were all well fed too so I guess it is just in their blood to kill their siblings. C marg/gracilis are the most challenging to raise IMO. The babies are very small but at least they do attack large prey. Even under optimum conditions you should expect several deaths but at least it wont be due to molting with the vertical climbs added. On another high note, they usually kick out a bunch of young so it is easy to get some survivors.