Aggresive / Defensive stance

avion

Arachnopeon
I read the sticky on the differences between aggressive and defensive behaviour of tarantulas with great interest, sorry I can't remember who exactly wrote that piece but it was very good!

Through my browsing of the site I've come across people mentioning aggressive stance and defensive stance, albeit in different posts.

Now I presume, please correct me if I'm wrong, but an aggressive stance is the tarantula rearing up and either preparing to strike or just to strike fear into whatever is bothering it.

However, what do people mean by a defensive stance? Is that when a tarantula tries to curl up into a ball (all it's legs drawn in close to the body)?

Any clues for an old man new to tarantulas?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
People shouldn't really use the term aggressive for tarantula behavior. Aggressive means an animal will go out of its way to attack you without necessarily percieving you as a direct threat. Defensive means they will readily threaten or attack you if they percieve you to be a threat. Some tarantulas are much more defensive than others but none are really aggressive.

An "aggressive stance" and a "defensive stance" are the same thing, just one is a more appropriate term than the other. "Threat posture" is a more appropriate term than either.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
People shouldn't really use the term aggressive for tarantula behavior. Aggressive means an animal will go out of its way to attack you without necessarily percieving you as a direct threat. Defensive means they will readily threaten or attack you if they percieve you to be a threat. Some tarantulas are much more defensive than others but none are really aggressive.

An "aggressive stance" and a "defensive stance" are the same thing, just one is a more appropriate term than the other. "Threat posture" is a more appropriate term than either.
This is a perfect description. :clap:

avion

Arachnopeon
Ah okay, so they mean the same stance. Think I prefer "threat posture" better too.

thanks guys.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer

I third this.

seanbond

Arachnoking
Old Timer

i one.....

This is a perfect description. :clap:
two...

I third this.
three...

fourth this

deathcrew

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I tend to disagree with this, I had a A.seemani that would more than go out of it's way to sink it's fangs in you! It would rush out of it's hide if you got to close to it's tank! And forget about reaching in to try to clean it's cage or water it! I think it wanted it's 2 pounds of flesh!!

Ms.X

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Deathcrew-still sounds "defensive" to me. It didn't want you near it's enclosure because it was protecting it's home. Just because some T's will hide when you are doing maintenance, and others try to scare you away, it does not mean the "scary" ones are being aggressive, they are just actively protecting their territory from a perceived threat. Do you honestly think your T understands that you are just trying to do housekeeping?

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
You've described a T being defensive, not aggressive. If I intruded onto your property or attempted to rearrange your furniture, would it be fair to call you aggressive when you came at me to defend your home?

I tend to disagree with this, I had a A.seemani that would more than go out of it's way to sink it's fangs in you! It would rush out of it's hide if you got to close to it's tank! And forget about reaching in to try to clean it's cage or water it! I think it wanted it's 2 pounds of flesh!!

deathcrew

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
You've described a T being defensive, not aggressive. If I intruded onto your property or attempted to rearrange your furniture, would it be fair to call you aggressive when you came at me to defend your home?
YES, I would call that aggression. If I were to stand in front of my house and tell you NOT to come any closer, that would be defensive.

BigDaddyJ

Arachnopeon

Ok now for the reply that I had already had wrote but mother nature decided to cut my power. But things are back up and running so here it goes. Defensive and agression are deff two different things. Deffensiveness in a T would be one that throws a threat pose kind of warning. Agressiveness would be one that would go out of its way to bite and or chase u for example deathcrews T. Yes it may not know he is doing general house keeping but this T obviously has a bad attitude. I think you all are making this harder than it truely is. This can be debated till we are all blue in the face but what does it really matter. In my opinion its cut and dry a T is either docile or not.
:cool:

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
We've split these hairs before.

AGRESSION
1: a forceful action or procedure (as an unprovoked attack) especially when intended to dominate or master
2: the practice of making attacks or encroachments ; especially : unprovoked violation by one country of the territorial integrity of another
3: hostile, injurious, or destructive behavior or outlook especially when caused by frustration

DEFENSIVE
1: serving to defend or protect <defensive fortifications>
2 a: devoted to resisting or preventing aggression or attack <defensive behavior

Ts are defensive, NOT agressive.

By defenition, defending one's home is NOT a form of agression.

deathcrew

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
We've split these hairs before.

AGRESSION
1: a forceful action or procedure (as an unprovoked attack) especially when intended to dominate or master
2: the practice of making attacks or encroachments ; especially : unprovoked violation by one country of the territorial integrity of another
3: hostile, injurious, or destructive behavior or outlook especially when caused by frustration

DEFENSIVE
1: serving to defend or protect <defensive fortifications>
2 a: devoted to resisting or preventing aggression or attack <defensive behavior

Ts are defensive, NOT agressive.

By defenition, defending one's home is NOT a form of agression.
The T. I'm referring to is described (no pun intended) to a "T" in the aggression section.

deathcrew

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Man...why do some folk on here want these creatures to be labelled aggressive? Then they wonder why tarantulas get a bad rep! I gone get me some bottled water...shoot!
I'm only saying ONE of the many I have is SATAN and if it was still here today I would post a vid. so you could see what I'm talking about. I have some that are labeled very defensive and are very docile. Nobody is going to tell me that THIS T wasn't aggressive.