Am I Too Old for Ts?....

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
im 28 and have been in the hobby for only 1+ yrs... i believe from 12 to 100 you're never too old. (only reason i say 12 and up is because i know I WASN'T responsible and mature enough before then ... hell ... even AFTER then) .. if its somethin you and your son share interest in dont let go of it. My .02$

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm 27. I've had tarantulas Since I was 13, but it didn't become a serious hobby until a few years ago. You'll find that tarantula have a higher level of sophistication (let's just leave it at that) compared to your typical exotic pet crowd.

Zoltan

Cult Leader
Old Timer
I don't think you're too old for it at all. I plan to keep tarantulas for as long as I am able to care for them... and after that, I'll just find someone else to care for them and stick to observing.

Boatman

Arachnosquire
Thanks for all the positive feedback. It makes me feel good, especially since I have no intention of quitting anytime soon. I'm just getting warmed up!...

:biggrin:

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for all the positive feedback. It makes me feel good, especially since I have no intention of quitting anytime soon. I'm just getting warmed up!...

:biggrin:
That's what I like to hear. I got my first tarantula at 20 and am still going strong at 31.

kwacky

Arachnosquire
I'm 41. Had my first T when I was 17. Had a large collection by the time I was 20. Last spider died about 3 years ago. Just bought myself a nice little Platyomma and I know by the end of the year he/she won't be alone. Go for it.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
30 here. As long as i am still able to care for them, i will have them.

HoboAustin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm 15 and have no intentions of stopping the hobby. I just can't wait until I can get a real job then go crazy with tarantulas {D

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Well, I'm 62 and I got my first rosie when I was about 47. She's still with me BTW.

I've found that most T keepers, especially the younger ones, start out with good intentions of staying in the hobby for many years but then, after about 5 years or so, the novelty wears off and family and supporting your family take priority.

mmfh

Arachnobaron
I agree that this is a great hobbie for parents and children. I think its great to have something that both are interested in and you can share the excitements and disappointments with.

Prometheus

Arachnoknight
I am 29 and have been keeping T's since I was 10. Your only too old when you stop breathing! But don't let death stop you either :)

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I've found that most T keepers, especially the younger ones, start out with good intentions of staying in the hobby for many years but then, after about 5 years or so, the novelty wears off and family and supporting your family take priority.
There does tend to be a quick turnaround time in the hobby for some. I'd guess that the majority don't last longer than a couple years, at least that's the impression I get. Those that do stick around seem to be in it for the LONG haul.

nikki9093

Arachnosquire
im 41 and only have been addicted since last november when i got my first sling from jamie. i now have 17. lol. age really is just a number...and quite frankly, my Ts will probably out-live me. lmao.

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
34 here. Been in the hobby for almost 3 years now. I don't see myself getting tired of my B. boehmei and B. smithi anytime soon ! It would be so awesome to have both of my Ts still alive by the time I retire...

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'll be 38 years old this year and sometimes I feel like a big kid, especially when it comes to these things. We (my son and I) got our first T two years ago. Lately, my additiction has been getting worse. What's the average age of T keepers?
Are you out of your freaking mind? There is no such thing a "too old for Ts!" I'm 68 and just finished a 3 month tour of the American southwest, looking for wild tarantulas. And I had an OUTSTANDING good time doing it!

Much more at The Hunt in Laredo and Beyond

Enjoy!