I thought sling fangs hardened in 2 days...

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 1.25-1.5" pokie sling appears to have black fangs...actually they are slightly lighter than jet black with a red hue. Anyway, it seems to be acting as if its still waiting to harden up. Its been hiding in its burrow for days since its molt on Sunday, it never worried about its burrow before, except when it was looking to hide.

So am I off on the hardening period? Is it 2-4 days or more like a week for a sling this size?

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'd say more like a week for a larger sling..I fed my now 3/4" L. parahybana sling today and it molted last Saturday.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I like never feed any spiders within a week of a molt... ever..

-Sean

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Crap, well it needs to eat by Friday. I have to go out of town and Im not sure if I can get back in the next few weeks...and my wife aint touchin' no roaches, crickets and definatly wont be-head em and split them open for the sling.

Kind of sucks!!!

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
If you're worried about going weeks without feeding it, maybe you could give it a pre-killed full grown cricket and it'll just eat when it's hungry.

Aurelia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
If you split open the cricket so it doesn't have to use its fangs to pierce a hard exoskeleton, I think there should be less of a risk of it injuring itself trying to eat.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
If you're worried about going weeks without feeding it, maybe you could give it a pre-killed full grown cricket and it'll just eat when it's hungry.
That would be a good idea if dead things did not have a tendency to rot from the inside and then grow monstrous mold structures. In a small setup for a sling that would be the death of it.

hairmetalspider

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Crap, well it needs to eat by Friday. I have to go out of town and Im not sure if I can get back in the next few weeks...and my wife aint touchin' no roaches, crickets and definatly wont be-head em and split them open for the sling.

Kind of sucks!!!
Pft. Maybe your wife could suck it op for the sake of your T's?

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I hope, but touching bugs may be her limit...especially roaches. She has done a lot things that she said she wouldnt do...but at some point she will reach her wits end.

Here's hoping for another break through!

In the meantime, its next meal will be a biggin' in hopes it will tide it over until I get back for a visit at least.

GOMER113

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That would be a good idea if dead things did not have a tendency to rot from the inside and then grow monstrous mold structures. In a small setup for a sling that would be the death of it.
Yeah, that probably wasn't the best idea, but it's the only thing I could think of other than having someone else look after it. :eek:

jukahman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
that kinda sucks...i hope you could find someone willing to feed your T's...:)

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It'll be a week tomorrow since its molt and my 1.5"(maybe a tad bit less) Pokie still hasnt come out of its burrow.

Im feeling Im about to get in a bind, I leave tomorrow morning. My wife isnt willing to handle the roaches to feed it(I literally had to wake her out of a nightmare last night that featured my roach colony escaping!)

How long could a sling go without feedings? Its been about 2 weeks since it fed last...maybe a bit longer, but it was fed well. It is misted 2-3 times a week.

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
little bugger game out this afternoon/evening for the first time in a week. It hovered about the entrance of its burrow with about 3/4 of its body out. Whe I picked up the container is literally slithered back into the burrow backwards(ive never seen that before).

I placed two pre-killed and "cleaned" roach nymphs at the opening. One was carapace sized, the other was a tad bigger than abdomen sized..but considering how small his abdomen is, it may be about the size of a full abdomen.

That way it has a choice of "normal" meal, or a big, full on Thanksgiving gorging.

I'll check in the morning before I head out to see if it decided to eat. Here's to a lobster(roach) feast.

deez8legz

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I hope, but touching bugs may be her limit...especially roaches. She has done a lot things that she said she wouldnt do...but at some point she will reach her wits end.

Here's hoping for another break through!

In the meantime, its next meal will be a biggin' in hopes it will tide it over until I get back for a visit at least.
Might I suggest investing in a pair if feeding tongs. No touchy for the wifey! Voila.;)

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That means she has to be skilled enough to catch a 1/4 inch nymph, de-capitate it and split it with tongs...I cant even do that yet:D

It looks like the sling ate the bigger nymph last night. Im hoping it will hold it over for 2, maybe 3 weeks.