Deadly Creatures

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I would have to dissagree with the speed of hahni.I would put then at pokie speed across the ground.
These move very fast across the sand.
And my ones have shown no signs of being able to climb glass which is a bonus.They have also shown no signs of aggression.
BTW the most deadliest spider is the one that just bit you.

chris_vegas

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Not sure any spider can truly be described as deadly anymore. You'd have to be either very unlucky or stupid to die from a spider bite in this day in age.

...yet I've seen posts in the tarantula forums refering to T's as deadly, so no wonder people still think widows are the devil incarnate lol.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Not sure any spider can truly be described as deadly anymore. You'd have to be either very unlucky or stupid to die from a spider bite in this day in age.

...yet I've seen posts in the tarantula forums refering to T's as deadly, so no wonder people still think widows are the devil incarnate lol.
That's untrue......
There is no antivenin for Sicarius.I am pretty sure you could call this species "deadly".
If this species came into contact with people,the way widows do........it would be a whole new ball game.
Paul

What

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A person could die very easily from a severe allergic reaction to the venom... Heck, you can die very easily from A. robustus if you do not get immediate medical attention...

But you are correct, there is a much lower incidence of death now, with modern medicine. I still would not tempt fate with any of these...
(Well, ok, maybe latros, loxos, and Sicarius...but they are not at all likely to bite... :eek: )

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
As far as keeping them, Bjorn nailed it. Sicarius and Atrox probably have nastier venoms but as they can't climb glass, they wouldn't be nearly the problem that Phoneutria are. I would never keep one, just too risky with their speed, athleticism, vision, and venom!

Paul, you say sicarius are at pokie speed? I figured they'd be much faster than that

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As far as keeping them, Bjorn nailed it. Sicarius and Atrox probably have nastier venoms but as they can't climb glass, they wouldn't be nearly the problem that Phoneutria are. I would never keep one, just too risky with their speed, athleticism, vision, and venom!

Paul, you say sicarius are at pokie speed? I figured they'd be much faster than that
You could be right there mate.....I am going by how fast my slings can move and they are as fast as any of my pokies or H.mac.
I think when these get bigger.....then you will see true speed.
From my short time with them,I don't think they can climb glass but I would not take a chance using plastic,they may be be able to climb that due to the roughness of the surface compared to glass.
I would never dream of keeping these in anything but a smooth sided glass enclosure with high sides (no corners or rough edges that is).
The person who bred these also assured me they are not an aggressive species and so far,I see no reason to dissagree.
paul

Last edited:

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
jeesh...long post...might be worth reading.

Sicarius and loxos both have an amazing burst speed and can be very unpredictable when they will step on the gas. Their main defense is standing dead still. When handled the two react totally different though. Loxos are very delicate and can loose limbs very easily so they tend to keep moving. Whereas sicarius are tough and armored and can be picked up by a leg or two without so much risk of injury ..they go lifeless immediately. Small birds gotta be their main predator (imo) and when scooped up they become like an old smashed match-book ...probably tasteless, lifeless...seemingly not all that exciting to eat. When on the ground and touched or confronted by something large both Loxosceles and Sicarius flatten themselves against the ground. Loxos do this in an odd stance...sorta twisting their legs in a fashion that bends them down and backwards keeping their eyes up to keep track of whats bothering them ...they cant take too much weight because of their fragile body and limbs.. so they stay ready for flight ...and maybe attack. Sicarius spread flat and if weight is pressed upon them they spread even further to the point of concave. ...they can take a good amount of pressure ...i will guess that while in sand they can take being stepped on. Of the 5 or 6 specie of loxos ive kept I have yet to witness any aggressive defensive posture (rearing up or forward moving bluffs, etc). Nor have I been able to stimulate aggressive postures from the Sicarius I have. Though...I did have one rear up that a friend of mine was keeping ...with a fairly intimidating stance too. When confronted, Loxos do use "up" as an defensive or escape option...so they do sometimes climb your hand or tool and often doing so with a quick burst of speed. With Sicarius, its really hard to get them to want to climb when being bothered ...unless water is involved ...even misting can make a Sicarius pop out of the sand and quickly climb whatever is available. Wet sand is heavy and sticky and im sure its very dangerous for them to remain buried during rain/flood/heavy mist. When left alone they DO attempt to climb enclosure walls esp while its dark.
As far as glass/smooth plastics go, they are not able to climb but over time their activities in the sand causes dust build up on the glass and I HAVE witnessed them half way up the glass a few times. As for corners go...they really dont have the body type for climbing corners or grasping silicone beads...BUT i still dont recommend keeping them in enclosures with corners or butted seams.
A while back someone here on the board from S.America claimed to having grown up with a lot of exposure to Sicarius... in fact he said that he and friends handled and goofed around with them in the sand all the time ...and that he was shocked to read that they had potentially harmful venom. :D I can see this AND because of the fact that there have been only a couple questionable bite reports ...I have NO problem pondering the VERY possible fact that NO human has EVER been tagged by Sicarius. If you think about, a small prick and days later symptoms caused by the venom could hardly be considered a successful defense strategy ...I mean.. its not gonna save that spiders arse and the specie aint gonna evolve to use such a strategy.

Ok.. recent happening in my hobby room ...fairly embarrassing one at that so I shutter thinking I'm going to tell it. ...:wall::rolleyes: I have free roaming room rats ...one big boy that has not gotten in trouble with regards to my bugs and their enclosures and now two of his young boys that HAVE forced me to reinforce enclosures and/or move them to non-reachable closed cabinets and/or high shelves. WELL, one boy somehow managed to get up to a shelf that I THOUGHT was far out of bounds ...the shelf has containers with loxos, widows, sicarius ..some scorps and centipedes. For certain creatures I just cut large circles through the lids with a hole saw and stretch/glue nylon wedding veil over the holes ...nice way to vent while keeping the stupid ants out and reduces mite exposure...etc. Wont keep rats out though... yeesh... So I walk into my room and in the corner of my eye I spot a large black object squeezed snug in a plastic cookie container that housed a BIG fem L.laeta. Rats name is Chaos BTW ...and there he was digging around in the thick web that covered the substrate ...big hole chewd through the nylon. I panicked ...got the damn rat out of there ...did he eat the spider?...did the spider flee?...did he get tagged? Well, the spider was there..hunkered against some structure and the rat seemed fine. Ok...quick look at the other containers ...and sure enough a few containers no longer had nylon covers...:wall: ...spidies all accounted for ...then I noticed that another cookie container with a big vent that was ripped open ...Sicarius, full grown female...sand completely dug around in and not a centimeter without a rat track! It looks like Chaos spent a good amount of time just playing and digging around in the damn sandbox...and the poor Sicarius must have had a hell of a time avoiding the huge "ill chew up anything thats chewable" monster! :rolleyes: An extremely unintended and undesired co-hab experiment and yet another hard lesson in keeping such animals. :D:rolleyes:

Bjoern Elksnat

Arachnosquire
Hi mate,

see it in relationship.

Maybe unexperienced keepers in various species may call Sicarius and Loxosceles very fast.

Relate to

- Cupiennius species (salei, getazi, coccineus, granadensis)
- Phoneutria species (nigriventer, fera, keyserlingi, boliviensis, sp. Colombia)
- Sparassidae species (boiei, venatoria, davidbowie, sp. "Indonesia", lunula)
- Viridasius sp. Madagaskar ("cave form" and "forestform")

they are lame - once again, in relationship!

Only examples I had kept, like Sicariidae, too.

Fact: Sicariidae can not power half of full speed the specimens above - that`s a fact.

Generally it can be said this about hunting spiders:

The younger and hungrier, the faster they are.

Older specimen are often lot more relaxed....

LG Björni

DooM_ShrooM

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
deadliest huh? the black widow's venom is 15 times deadlier than a rattle snake....but i would bet for the gorilla sized cobalt blue T (if there were any{D)
that would be the most deadliest spider........hahahaha.....if a small T was enough to scare ppl(not including me) then how bout the gorilla sized one?? that would be deadlier....it would eat humans......(its a joke don't take this seriously .....don't look for a gorilla sized T....u wont find one {D but if you do message me)

so i think the black widow is the deadliest spider!!!:clap:

Venom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A while back someone here on the board from S.America claimed to having grown up with a lot of exposure to Sicarius... in fact he said that he and friends handled and goofed around with them in the sand all the time ...and that he was shocked to read that they had potentially harmful venom. :D I can see this AND because of the fact that there have been only a couple questionable bite reports ...I have NO problem pondering the VERY possible fact that NO human has EVER been tagged by Sicarius.
Ermm...I wouldn't say it leads to the conclusion that there have been zero bites, but it certainly supports a low incidence of envenomation. The human-to-spider contact is so low, combined with the high degree of docility of this spider, that we don't have any real data to tabulate mortality rates from. But, if you took Sicarius and made it as closely associated with human habitations as is Latrodectus, I think we'd see a pattern of bites emerging from accidental encounters. I don't think we should conclude that "there have never been any bites," but more along the lines of "bites from Sicarius are so few and infrequent, that it has not arisen to a detectable level." There is always the possibility that bites go unreported. Also, it takes a certain number and frequency of bites for a species' impact on man to make it to the clinical radar, as it were. The bottom line is, we do not know how many bites there have been, how frequently occur, and if anyone has died. There may have, or may not have been any human deaths.

With the level of attention the medical and scholarly field has given to this spider until now, the frequency of bite incidence has not been high enough to merit clinical notice. That is not to say bites have occurred, but since we have absolutely ZERO confirmed bites (which is extremely unlikely--that there should be absolutely 0 bites from all time), it seems likely that we haven't been looking closely enough, or that the frequency of bites is so low as to be absorbed by the percent probability of unreported bites, and misdiagnosis. We need to look more analytically at necrotic epidemiology in this genus' geographic distribution if we're going to detect the incidence rate of Sicarius envenomation.

If you think about, a small prick and days later symptoms caused by the venom could hardly be considered a successful defense strategy ...I mean.. its not gonna save that spiders arse and the specie aint gonna evolve to use such a strategy.
A bite to a human would progress more quickly than that. Based on data from rabbits, we're looking at the formation of a significant necrotic effect within hours, not days. As you know, necrotic effects from even L. reclusa manifests within 12 hours, and Sicarius venom contains 10x more SMD per unit volume than L. reclusa venom, in addition to Sicarius' higher venom yield.

Ok.. recent happening in my hobby room ...fairly embarrassing one at that so I shutter thinking I'm going to tell it. ...:wall::rolleyes: I have free roaming room rats ...one big boy that has not gotten in trouble with regards to my bugs and their enclosures and now two of his young boys that HAVE forced me to reinforce enclosures and/or move them to non-reachable closed cabinets and/or high shelves. WELL, one boy somehow managed to get up to a shelf that I THOUGHT was far out of bounds ...the shelf has containers with loxos, widows, sicarius ..some scorps and centipedes. For certain creatures I just cut large circles through the lids with a hole saw and stretch/glue nylon wedding veil over the holes ...nice way to vent while keeping the stupid ants out and reduces mite exposure...etc. Wont keep rats out though... yeesh... So I walk into my room and in the corner of my eye I spot a large black object squeezed snug in a plastic cookie container that housed a BIG fem L.laeta. Rats name is Chaos BTW ...and there he was digging around in the thick web that covered the substrate ...big hole chewd through the nylon. I panicked ...got the damn rat out of there ...did he eat the spider?...did the spider flee?...did he get tagged? Well, the spider was there..hunkered against some structure and the rat seemed fine. Ok...quick look at the other containers ...and sure enough a few containers no longer had nylon covers...:wall: ...spidies all accounted for ...then I noticed that another cookie container with a big vent that was ripped open ...Sicarius, full grown female...sand completely dug around in and not a centimeter without a rat track! It looks like Chaos spent a good amount of time just playing and digging around in the damn sandbox...and the poor Sicarius must have had a hell of a time avoiding the huge "ill chew up anything thats chewable" monster! :rolleyes: An extremely unintended and undesired co-hab experiment and yet another hard lesson in keeping such animals. :D:rolleyes:
The temperament of Loxosceles and Sicarius is known. A more useful experiment (which would have to be intentional ) would be to induce a bite in your rat, from your Sicarius spp., and to tell us what happens then. I don't mean to be snide....it's just that your story doesn't prove anything different. I'm fully in agreement that Sicarius are docile creatures, but that doesn't mitigate the seriousness of when a bite actually DOES occur and, we don't know fully yet how they react to the pressure of a human (instead of a rat) rolling over on them, stepping on them, etc. ( Don't try that one, btw !! )

DamoK21

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
in all fairness though to these gourgess specamins from my point of view not one of them are at any risk to human's unless of course when "Human Error" accures or "Human Stupidity"...

If and i use this word strongly "If" Human's check there equipment before using or did not force the idea upon these guys to defend them self's there would be so much less bites occuring which then of course the only bites that would occur would therefore be accidental (for example sleeping then bit) and in result alot less would therefore understand that black widows and so on are able to be handled under very very strict respect and care for the specimen in question .. "of course!" not all of them are able to be picked up which therefore a simple cup and card board will do "i do not recomend handling these arachnids" ...

so in reality 9 times out of 10 its "human error" or "human stupidity" that causes these bites to occur in the first place :p

chris_vegas

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That's untrue......
There is no antivenin for Sicarius.I am pretty sure you could call this species "deadly".
If this species came into contact with people,the way widows do........it would be a whole new ball game.
Paul
...but it won't will it? ;)

buthus

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
buthus:
I have NO problem pondering the VERY possible fact that NO human has EVER been tagged by Sicarius.
Venom:
Ermm...I wouldn't say it leads to the conclusion that there have been zero bites, but it certainly supports a low incidence of envenomation. The human-to-spider contact is so low, combined with the high degree of docility of this spider, that we don't have any real data to tabulate mortality rates from. But, if you took Sicarius and made it as closely associated with human habitations as is Latrodectus, I think we'd see a pattern of bites emerging from accidental encounters. I don't think we should conclude that "there have never been any bites," but more along the lines of "bites from Sicarius are so few and infrequent, that it has not arisen to a detectable level." There is always the possibility that bites go unreported. Also, it takes a certain number and frequency of bites for a species' impact on man to make it to the clinical radar, as it were. The bottom line is, we do not know how many bites there have been, how frequently occur, and if anyone has died. There may have, or may not have been any human deaths.
Lester Bangs:
Did you know that "The Letter" by The Box Tops was a minute and 58 seconds long? Means nothing. Nil. But it takes them less than two minutes to accomplish what Jethro Tull takes hours to not accomplish!
anyway..
A bite to a human would progress more quickly than that. Based on data from rabbits, we're looking at the formation of a significant necrotic effect within hours, not days. As you know, necrotic effects from even L. reclusa manifests within 12 hours, and Sicarius venom contains 10x more SMD per unit volume than L. reclusa venom, in addition to Sicarius' higher venom yield.
You missed my point all together. I was talking about mechanical and venom effects as they would pertain to a successful defense strategy. When a bird snatches up..lets say..a centipede and the pede is able to tag the bird, both the mechanical and venom affects are felt immediately by the bird and there is a good chance that the bird will give up and release its prey allowing it a chance to live on and reproduce ...which in turn reinforces the species instinctual defensive behavior, physical characteristics and best of all...the chemical make-up of its venom. Now..A most likely ignorable prick along with damage/illness caused by venom, whether 2 days or 2 minutes later will not save Sicarius. She will not live on to reproduce and her behavior will not reinforce anything. Biting is not a feasible/reliable defense strategy for Sicarius. Sicarius venom developed to quickly kill prey...most likely hardy beetles and such ...and kill em fast. They NEED to subdue prey fast and cover up as quickly as they can because its a doggy dog world out there. Their venom just so happens to cause damage to mammals...there is no real cause and effect ..but there IS with the defense strategy of hiding, playing dead, and not biting.

The temperament of Loxosceles and Sicarius is known. A more useful experiment (which would have to be intentional ) would be to induce a bite in your rat, from your Sicarius spp., and to tell us what happens then. I don't mean to be snide....it's just that your story doesn't prove anything different.
Oh! Ya know..you are right! I should let the rat get in there again, but this time I'll remove the spider muzzle! doh! silly me:eek:

Ya know...I don't mean to snide, but how is it that the reinforcement of our knowledge regarding venom toxicity is more relevant than the reinforcement of our knowledge of a species behavior? :rolleyes: And BTW..please DO share with us all the documented behavioral studies, photos, footage etc showing us Sicarius behavior when dealing with mammals, birds, lizards etc ...in the wild, in the lab...whatever.
we don't know fully yet how they react to the pressure of a human (instead of a rat) rolling over on them, stepping on them, etc. ( Don't try that one, btw !! )
Oh gosh...LOL. You need to start thinking before you think. :rolleyes: Cant we speculate a bit on this one? eh? If it looks like overall Sicarius act passively to pressure/contact with the creatures they encounter in wild... birds, small mammals etc ...why the hell would they suddenly surprise us with aggressive defensive behavior when in contact with a 180lb man?
I HAVE applied pressure to my Sicarius. I have attempted to frustrate and induce aggressive behavior. I have posted documentation and in my post above in this thread I did describe some of my observations regarding this. But, nope Ive never stepped on nor rolled over any of my Sicarius because IMHO I just dont think I would observe anything different.

Ive always been curious regarding tail chasers ...I mean...well, if ya ever twist around fast enough, whatch ya gonna do when you finally catch it?