Other arboreals to add to my collection

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I think that's why you see P irminia x cambridgei hybrids every once in a while. The mature males look very much alike.
Doesn't really belong into this thread, but I think that's one of the reasons for the "dark island form" that I've heard of sometimes? Looks like a hybrid to me...

might end up with an irminia. as long as they end up being availible at the time of my order, maybe a couple avics i don't have and my promised virsi of course. and if he has any larger avics at the time those, 1.5" ones seem to be past the really sketchy stage of growth. hopefully i get a geroldi. not arboreal but he's got a good price on juv genicalata i'm gonna grab if i can too
"versicolor" / "geniculata" :) Latin names are important although I don't want to sounding like talking down.

Definately have to get a geniculata at some time myself...but for this month I think I'm good :D Let's see what my wishlist and moneybag says next :D

SgtSparkles

Arachnosquire
well the breeder i go through has geniculata at 3" for around 40 usd. Irminia and cambridgei are both super cheap right now but i may not wait till his next import because if i do i'll miss out on these larger geroldi that he has. like i said the 1.5-2" ones seem to do better

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well the breeder i go through has geniculata at 3" for around 40 usd. Irminia and cambridgei are both super cheap right now but i may not wait till his next import because if i do i'll miss out on these larger geroldi that he has. like i said the 1.5-2" ones seem to do better
I have a little iminia sling aside from my female, too. It's about 2" and an eating machine. Throws up threat displays already now quite often. Certainly gonna be a handful when it grows if it keeps that attitude :D Not much you can do wrong with them, just watch their speed - if there's nothing between point A and point B it's "Beam me up, scotty!" literally!! Psalms are pretty hardy and easier forgiving a mistake in care than Avics.

SgtSparkles

Arachnosquire
well i think i'm getting one of each p irminia and cambridei i keep reading contradictory statements either saying that their venom is very similar to pokie or that its far more mellow, while ultimately not getting bitten would be best knowing what i'm in for would be nice hahaha

missmorbus

Arachnopeon
When I decided to branch out from Avics, I got a P. cambridgei. It's now 4 inches. I've seen a few little "mini" threat postures from it, but most of those were because I startled it when I misted the enclosure. It generally just hides while I drop in crickets or do cage maintenance. Cage transfers....now that's a different story. I transferred it to it's adult cage yesterday and it was not interested in having any part of that. It held its ground at first and I saw a little bit of a threat posture before it finally decided to bolt into its new home (and then almost back out of it again). When it runs, it seems to run in a blind panic before settling on a hiding place. That's different than my Avics or P. metallica because they all seem to run to the nearest place that they feel safe. It just seems a bit more frantic...if that makes sense. It's a gorgeous T and I'm glad I have it.

SgtSparkles

Arachnosquire
well we'll see how they do i guess, they ae in my online shopping cart as juvies so that should be fun i know unpacking them will be joyus haha

---------- Post added 03-18-2012 at 02:47 PM ----------

here is my cart sounds fun and kinda bitey.

SgtSparkles

Arachnosquire
well i'm thinking of adding a couple more Taps to that cart if i can but we'll see, there will also be an obt, an LP, and a versi. Any other arboreals you could recommend?

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Holothele incei NOTgcf.

Heterothele gabonensis

Smaller arboreal, gorgeous colours, communal.

SgtSparkles

Arachnosquire
oh wow, those guys are tiny, are they even large enough to justify a 2.5 gallon.
cool beans though

skar

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I personally am envious of the A. geroldi and wanted to add, A. geniculata is a personal favorite of mine Nice.
H. incei are cool but uh... 2.5 gal way over done for those lil guys. a small kk could manage 4 of em ! But H. incei are pretty and mine made a bunch of burrows and webbed everything . (hope they only eat crickets ha)
Actually 2.5 gal isn't that big huh ? idk have to see it . . . :/

SgtSparkles

Arachnosquire
2.5 is pretty small actually. smaller than alot of KK's. can't wait till i get my hands on those psalms or the geniculata. not to mention the obt i am waiting on too. oh so many, my gf is busy making the enclosure for her boehmei right now

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
well i think i'm getting one of each p irminia and cambridei i keep reading contradictory statements either saying that their venom is very similar to pokie or that its far more mellow, while ultimately not getting bitten would be best knowing what i'm in for would be nice hahaha
Psalmopoeus venom is NOT as strong as Poecie venom (even the breeders I got mine from confirmed that)! I had the same question and while bite reports vary A LOT (after all it's dependant on the amount of venom delivered, reaction of the "victim" and many more factors!) it's certainly stronger than Avic venom for example. However, I'd avoid getting bitten by ANY T, as you'll never know how you react to the venom in question.

PS: Got a ~3" P. cambridgei female inbound myself...who knows - maybe I can soon tell from own experience, lol :D

SgtSparkles

Arachnosquire
I have an A bicegoi that will throw out strikes like they're going out of style. Guess the individual plays more of a role.