Pets you wish were sold MORE OFTEN in pet stores!

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Well what spec on a map town are you talking about?
Exactly what para said. You need to google reptile shows near you. I didn't look to see where you all are from, but I would think even if you have to have a exotic pet license you would still be able to purchase some of these animals. We have 2 shows within an hour and a half of us and we are literally a spec on a map town. Lol.

awolfe

Arachnosquire
Im in rogers, ohio. The pittsburgh show is about an hour from me aand cleveland is an hour and a half. Rogers is about 25 min or some south of youngstown

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Im in salesville. A spec between zanesville, and cambridge. Pittsburgh is about 2 hours, and columbus is about 1.5 hours. Never been to either of the reptile shows though.
Im in rogers, ohio. The pittsburgh show is about an hour from me aand cleveland is an hour and a half. Rogers is about 25 min or some south of youngstown

awolfe

Arachnosquire
Oh you should go. Pittsburgh is better than the one in cleveland. Id like to go to columbus eventully. We drove down there to pick up my female b. Smithi last fall. 3 hours.
The shows typically have some arachnids. Its worth looking. I have got many deals at the shows.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah i have thought about going to the pittsburgh show for a while now. Just havent gotten around to it.

Skeri

Arachnosquire
I wish I could find a P metallica at a store. I know of two stores in my area that sell T's at a little less than I would pay directly from a breeder and plus no shipping. I highly doubt I will ever find one though :/

Louise E. Rothstein

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Native mice are perfectly beautiful...You should see them change color as they grow up.
Their most widespread species are informally known as "Deer mice" and "White footed mice" respectively.
And their pet potential is obvious: those who came in the house and were trapped all learned to use exercise wheels...and the babies could have probably become considerably more "pettable" than the original mice ...but in Ohio-and probably elsewhere-these beautiful little natives are all illegal.

I have had to release both species because know-it-all "authorities" squawk off on the possibility that native mice of the genus Peromyscus (which mine were) "might" harbor hantavirus without bothering to notice that a vet who is skilled enough to intubate tiny baby birds could swab samples from the no-tinier throats where hantavirus colonies might have been concealed...although I should think that I would have been sick myself if they had really had it.

What a shame they cannot be sold...at least in Ohio.

Are other states any better?

---------- Post added 04-24-2012 at 09:57 PM ----------

Originally Posted by Tarac:

"A pet I would like to see is that chicken that researchers re-dinosaured by turning the genes for teeth,claws and tail back on..."

If a chicken WAS really "re-dinosaured" it might very well become an actual dinosaur...
the fascinating fossils that I examined reveal that certain "dinosaurs" actually evolved into birds-and that certain related "bipedal reptiles" had FEATHERS.

Have you ever seen bare baby birds?

They look dinosaurian to this day.

---------- Post added 04-24-2012 at 10:13 PM ----------

Originally Posted by pouchedrat:

"African pouched rats...I miss my boy..."

Now they're breeding in the Florida Everglades.
The same squawkers who spouted that "hordes" of pythons were "destroying the Everglades" have been spouting that "Cat sized rats" "are destroying the Everglades" to a renewed discordance of unproven spoutings at alleged "irresponsible pet owners."

In each case the animals apparently owed their origins to small groups of escapees.

There is no evidence whatsoever that "irresponsible" pet owners had ever "discarded" any of them.

But it would take some serious animal bootlegging to return their Florida-born babies to pet people at this time...

-although it might become considerably less difficult after the authorities blow up about something other than animals.

Let us pray that they do.

Amen.

Furret

Arachnosquire
- MORE T'S. every pet store within a 50 mile radius from me only has g. rosea's and sometimes an avicularia or two (all kept in the crappiest conditions)
- more conure parrots!
- AXOLOTLS
- more scorps...imperators are really cool and all, but there should be more species than just those (in my opinion)..
- MILLIPEDES..i'd do anything to buy an african giant down the street from me
- sugar gliders, gotta love em
- hedgehogs..little bundles of cuteness
- bearded dragons

i wish there could be an exotic pet store somewhere in the Cleveland area of Ohio, that would be so awesome..all we have here is nappy little Petco's, Pet Supplies Plus's, and PetSmart's :p

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
I wish I could find a P metallica at a store. I know of two stores in my area that sell T's at a little less than I would pay directly from a breeder and plus no shipping. I highly doubt I will ever find one though :/
My LPS has them because I sell them to them haha

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Cuttlefish. They are among one of the smartest invertebrates. I would love to breed and do private studies on their behavior. I can't find anyone who sells eggs or larva (fry) forms. Not even for true fish. I would love to observe the life cycle and growth of turbot, flounder or other oddly shaped aquarium life. Sand eels are cool, too.

I actually tried looking for deploid bluegill, turbot and flounder eggs on the internet with no luck. Found trout but not interested..

Low

Arachnoknight
Cuttlefish. They are among one of the smartest invertebrates. I would love to breed and do private studies on their behavior. I can't find anyone who sells eggs or larva (fry) forms. Not even for true fish. I would love to observe the life cycle and growth of turbot, flounder or other oddly shaped aquarium life. Sand eels are cool, too.

I actually tried looking for deploid bluegill, turbot and flounder eggs on the internet with no luck. Found trout but not interested..
Ive kept cuttlefish...they r very difficult and expensive...they r short lived, require cool/cold water and are way too sensitive...i had to run 2 1/2 hp chillers to maintain 65 degrees in a 1000 gallon system...but that let me keep a wide array of atlantic macroalgae....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Cephalopods in general are amazing, but don't live long and have extremely demanding husbandry requirements. I am very glad that pet stores generally don't offer them!

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Trust me when I say I have known people who have tried trapping these pouched rats in the everglades with zero success. Some of my rat friends have travelled to (or lived in) Florida specifically for that purpose, and I've known people doing this since ... what was it, 2003-2004? I don't know how on earth anyone else has been able to find them, but they've had no luck and the locals there won't talk or tell anyone of recent sightings.

I'd still pay ANYTHING to get some of those florida babies into the pet trade. They are basically non-existant now in the USA even though they're legal to own (just not import) again. I have a feeling those are the ONLY chance we have left to get them back. Also, they're like the size of a SMALL cat...... 2-3 lbs. I've heard of one getting to 4 lbs ever. My boy was 3 lbs. at his heaviest. But they are PURE muscle!!!! omg they're STRONG as heck and can chew through pretty much anything... and smart as heck. That was one issue, we believed after the first few were initially trapped, they learned to avoid traps in the everglades. I've heard that from others as well... These aren't stupid rodents, these are seriously intelligent creatures.... and FAST learners as well, with a crazy sense of smell.

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
- MORE T'S. every pet store within a 50 mile radius from me only has g. rosea's and sometimes an avicularia or two (all kept in the crappiest conditions)
- more conure parrots!
- AXOLOTLS
- more scorps...imperators are really cool and all, but there should be more species than just those (in my opinion)..
- MILLIPEDES..i'd do anything to buy an african giant down the street from me
- sugar gliders, gotta love em
- hedgehogs..little bundles of cuteness
- bearded dragons

i wish there could be an exotic pet store somewhere in the Cleveland area of Ohio, that would be so awesome..all we have here is nappy little Petco's, Pet Supplies Plus's, and PetSmart's :p

hey if you know where akron is theres a small petshop there called two turtles. they are awesome. they can custom order and are nice and knowledgeable about their animals. they could get most of whats on your list. as for sugar gliders (i had two that died) and hedge hog (i have one right now) you would have to look for breeders. good luck :)

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
For anyone lucky enough to live in Tucson, I just noticed that Ken The Bug Guy has greatly expanded his reptile and amphibian offerings.

EmilyK

Arachnopeon
Millipedes, salamanders, animals from local shelters, frogs other than firebellies and green tree frogs, healthier feeders, and kingsnakes.