First communal setup

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Okay, in a few days I am gonna go get some supplies to set up a communal tank for a species of scorpion. I probably want to do it with a Centruroides species, but I am up for any other suggestions. Any species that really do well in communal? I know there is still a risk and I know there are a million threads on this, I just thought I would ask for myself. Thanks for reading.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Well, if you want a Centruroides spp., C. gracilis, C. hentzi, C. guanensis, C. sculpturatus...almost all of them. It is hard to think of a species that is not.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Would a five gallon be good for five adult C. gracilis? or should I move them to a ten gallon? A ten gallon seems rather large though.

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Would a five gallon be good for five adult C. gracilis? or should I move them to a ten gallon? A ten gallon seems rather large though.
I've housed a ton of C gracilis in a five gallon without any problems. They would probably like a ten a little bit better. That would give them more room to have a hide to themselves. I'd give them the most room you can, I'd say that with any species of scorpion.

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
I've housed a ton of C gracilis in a five gallon without any problems. They would probably like a ten a little bit better. That would give them more room to have a hide to themselves. I'd give them the most room you can, I'd say that with any species of scorpion.
Oh, definitely. Finally someone else says you should give scorpions as much room as you can. I do not like those little tiny containers with only one piece of bark in it. Same with a large enclosure that has unrealistic fancy furnishings that take up half the enclosure and are for the keeper's enjoyment. And yes, John is right about the C. gracilis.;):D

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh, definitely. Finally someone else says you should give scorpions as much room as you can. I do not like those little tiny containers with only one piece of bark in it. Same with a large enclosure that has unrealistic fancy furnishings that take up half the enclosure and are for the keeper's enjoyment. And yes, John is right about the C. gracilis.;):D
You make me feel bad. ;) LOL When I've got a bunch of babies all they get is a deli cup with wood. If you're only doing one or two tanks why not make nice. I do try and give my adults as much room as I can

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
You make me feel bad. ;) LOL When I've got a bunch of babies all they get is a deli cup with wood. If you're only doing one or two tanks why not make nice. I do try and give my adults as much room as I can
Hmmm, sorry, I have seen some pictures of your enclosures. They are great, don't worry (not that you are ;)). And I have the same type for my 2nd and 3rd instar T. bastosi, they are incredibly tiny, and a small container with a reasonable amount of bark is fine for them. And I do like enclosures that replicate a scorpion's natural environment. I want to post some pictures but I am waiting patiently for my dad to lend me his camera, as I do not have one of my own at the moment.;):D:D

Edit: I also meant that I do not necessarily like it when an single adult of a communal species is housed in a tiny enclosure with barely enough room to turn around (not trying to make you feel bad ;):D).

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well I ordered four adult C. gracilis and I already have one so I will be putting them in a ten gallon together when they arrive tuesday.

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Tell me what you guys think, and any suggestions you might have. I am always looking for opinions of people more experienced than I.

Here are some pictures of the tank.

And here are some of the scorpions. So far so good with them, they have already taken their first meals. I think, I only saw two of them eating, but there was enough food in there for them all. It has been a few hours since I took the pictures and I dont see anymore crickets so. I hope they all ate. =]

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you, the water dish was moved from the spot in the pictures to the bottom left under those two pieces of wood. It just fit better and didn't wobble. =D

GS

Arachnoknight
Nice setup Sleazoid! I'm sure they'll find themselves at home :)
Just be careful for pricks when you are shifting the wooden planks(during tank maintenance etc)

Sleazoid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice setup Sleazoid! I'm sure they'll find themselves at home :)
Just be careful for pricks when you are shifting the wooden planks(during tank maintenance etc)
Thank you, I hope they do. I don't have a blacklight, but I do use a flashlight and tongs to pick up every piece of wood just to make sure no stings occur. Even if this species doesn't have medically significant venom, I feel it is just best to respect their venom and treat them just as I would any of the venomous animals in my collection. Also it is a good way to get into the habit of it. ;)

Yeah, I liked it as well.;):D
Thank you. =D