largest prey item taken

Bosing

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
My Genic fed on a house lizard I cought, here's the pic taken 3 months ago...

see the poor lizard's face?

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the first G. rosea I had back when I was little ate a number of large prey items. I caught a moth with about a 5 in wingspan one time, and she ate that. She also had about a ten minute epic battle with a 3in prey mantis, as well as gobbling up about 3 other T's (common texas t's that I caught here). My current G. Rosea ate a 4 in skink the other day, I'll have the video up soon, she actually went after it and it separated it's tail so she was eating that when the skink ran back in front of her and she dropped the tail to hit it.
i can't believe you would feed other T's that you caught to your Rosie or any T. Kind of sad. i also think your Rosie could have been at risk.

Oh well, i was actually just going to comment on feeding praying mantis. i don't know for certain about T's but praying mantis can be lethal to other rather large prey they take down themselves. i don't know that i would want one in with any of my T's.

Warning: Graphic Pics

http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/backyardbirds/hummingbirds/mantis-hummer.aspx

see the poor lizard's face?
YES!! That's why i could definately do without the visuals!

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
About that preying mantis... WOW! Simply amazing if it is true.

I kinda get worried about feeding larger and larger items to my T's. I guess I'm sticking with pinkies and insects, but won't feed them anything that may fight back to them. I guess its a rule I carry over from my snake keeping.

Right now, I think I may have made a mistake and placed a cricket that is just a little bit too big for my A. versicolor sling. Its about the same size as the sling (including its legs), but I'm still a little worried. I'll probably take it out before I go to bed.

PhilK

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Mantis's can take down huge prey items. Seen a video of a mantis killing and eating a mouse.

skooma_addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I was in the backyard and a big@$! grasshopper flew into me. Had to be at least 3.5". Needless to say my G. rosea was a happy T that week. That'll show him to spit on my WHITE T-shirt. Didn't come out either.:mad:

Rathkeaux

Arachnopeon
i can't believe you would feed other T's that you caught to your Rosie or any T. Kind of sad. i also think your Rosie could have been at risk.

Oh well, i was actually just going to comment on feeding praying mantis. i don't know for certain about T's but praying mantis can be lethal to other rather large prey they take down themselves. i don't know that i would want one in with any of my T's.

Warning: Graphic Pics

http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/backyardbirds/hummingbirds/mantis-hummer.aspx

YES!! That's why i could definately do without the visuals!
well I wouldn't now, but I was 7 when I got my first T and kids do stupid things

also the prey mantix fight did occur, I had no idea at that time how powerful they were and simply caught it and threw it in her cage and they started fighting. Honestly I was scared while it was going on because I thought I might have a new pet Mantis instead of a T. But it worked out in the end and she killed it.

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My feeling is, if they're powerful enough to hit & kill a hummingbird (that has to be several times its weight), wouldn't it be powerful enough to hit and cause damage to a finger or hand?

I've picked up praying mantis (es/i/cactus/cacti?) before (some pretty big) and they've struck at my fingers and I hardly felt it. So I was either barely tapped, have much harder skin than I thought, or hummingbirds are even bigger dweebs than imaginable. LOL.

Still amazes me...

julesaussies

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My feeling is, if they're powerful enough to hit & kill a hummingbird (that has to be several times its weight), wouldn't it be powerful enough to hit and cause damage to a finger or hand?

I've picked up praying mantis (es/i/cactus/cacti?) before (some pretty big) and they've struck at my fingers and I hardly felt it. So I was either barely tapped, have much harder skin than I thought, or hummingbirds are even bigger dweebs than imaginable. LOL.

Still amazes me...
Your skin is much thicker than that of a hummingbird. Also, i imagine the mantis probably goes for a meal with full force.

Rathkeaux

Arachnopeon
I imagine it's something like who's hunting whom. If the mantis was hungry and prepared to strike and a T wandered under it, then the mantis would probably win; however, if the T was hungry and ready to kill and the mantis just got picked up by a giant and thrust into an unknown environment covered in webs the T would most likely win.

TarantulaLV

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
She also had about a ten minute epic battle with a 3in prey mantis, as well as gobbling up about 3 other T's common texas t's that I caught here.
Please Do Not Feed Aphonopelmas to Grammostolas!! :embarrassed:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer

Still amazes me...

Some of the larger ones can break skin. I've had a mantis leave a bite wound deep enough to make blood run and drip. I don't have particularly thin skin, either.

You'd be surprised what a mantis can (and will) do if you grab it exactly wrong.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My friend's pinktoes gladly take pinkies. But I maintain it must be an occasionnal threat. They eat mostly small arboreal frogs and lizards, mammalian proteins are not exactly what they're adapted for!