Few questions about G. rosea

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm assuming we are talking about an adult Chilean rose. If yours has a DLS of less than about 5 cm, these instructions may not be correct. Get back to us for different instructions.

... People say grammostola rosea can be confrontable with the temperatre where a human is confrontable with. ...
Correct.

... In my house the day temperature is 69.80000000000001 fahrenheit (21 degrees celcius). And in night it is 62.6 Fahrenheit (17 degrees celcius). ...
I presume this is just for the winter? Will it start to get warmer in a month or so? If so, no worries.

... No light at all they have in their enclosure now. And it's pretty dark but they can see the defirence between day and night. ...
They don't need direct light in their cage, although it should be light enough during the day that you have no trouble seeing them. And yes, they do need to be able to see a distinct difference between night and day.

... Is this temperature fine? ...
The temperature is just fine. See my questions above, and comments below.

... Since they are in the new bigger enclosure with out light they don't move at all. (This can be because they are a bit freaked out bit in the night they haven't moved at all either... :/ ) ...
Tarantulas are not hyperactive pets. If you expect them to bounce around the cage like a canary you're going to be vastly disappointed. And, since you're keeping yours rather cool during winter, they're going to move AND EAT even less.

... How should I feed them?
Pin the cricket and than keep it infront of the T and wait till it gets it and let the cricket go?
Because the last time I've feeded them the cricket just ran away and tried to hide.
I was lucky he ran onto my spider and my spider grabbed him but since they are in a new cage crickets have a lot bigger change to hide and burrow ...
So ... How do you feed?
EVERYBODY OVERFEEDS THEIR CHILEAN ROSES! During the warmer months you should feed each Chilean rose tarantula about one large cricket a WEEK. That amounts to about 4 or 5 a month. During colder weather, because you're keeping yours cooler, you can reduce that to one adult cricket about every 10 days, or three a month.

If your Chilean rose doesn't eat the cricket within a day or two, give the cricket to something else before it dies of starvation or thirst.

If your Chilean rose goes on a fast (i.e., it stops eating for a long time), change to a practice of trying to feed it one (1) cricket a month. Again, if the cricket isn't eaten within a day or two, give it to something else.

Nothing special is required for feeding them. You simply throw one cricket in once a week, or all 3, 4, or 5 at the same time once a month. Your choice. Whatever's convenient for you. The crickets will wander around the cage. The tarantula will easily detect their activity through vibrations or personal contact. If it's hungry it'll eat it/them. If it isn't it'll usually ignore the crickets. Once in a great while we hear about tarantulas that aren't hungry, but kill the crickets anyway. Obviously, the tarantula wants to be left alone. Skip one or two week's feedings and try again.

Stop stressing over your tarantulas! The Chilean rose(s) that you have now as pets, if wild caught, are something like 5 to 15 years old. They have survived in one of the harshest environments on Earth, and they were doing just fine until some huge, clumsy, alien thing with body odor and bad breath abducted them, transported them to a completely alien world, put them in a cell that looks, feel, smells, and sounds weird, and now won't go away and leave it alone. WHAT'S NEXT? ANAL PROBES? :biggrin:

Just to verify - you're the person who has two Chilean roses, a male and a female? You are keeping them in separate cages, right? You never put them together, right?

Last edited:

Glubu

Arachnosquire
First of all. Thank you guys! :)

Pikia:
The temperatures are this way in the winter and probably also in the summer maybe 1 or 2 degrees celcius warmer. (Day and night) So from 64.4-66.2 in the night and 71.6-73.4 fahrenheit.
So when I will heat them with a spotlight witch was in their older enclosure (It got up to 27-28(80.6-82.4 fahrenheit) degrees celcius in there and 17 in the night) they would move more and eat often right?

I totally understand G. roseas aren't that active at all (some might be) but in their old smaller,warmer and with more light enclosure they moved a lot more!
And since they are here they well sometimes move a bit make a little web. (This can be because they are just transfered ofcourse)

They are not wild caught as far as I know because the guy I bought them from bought it from someone. (The guy I bought them from only had them 3 months)
The female is from 2009 and the male from 2010.

Yes i'm the dude with the two roses.
If the male actually is a male is not quite sure yet.
I've checked him and thought he might be a she, I've posted pictures on the sexing gallery but no response at all.
I WILL NEVER EVER PUT THEM TOGETHER :)

The problem with tossing a cricket in is that the cricket can burrow in the spiders home-made cave. (wood with loads of substrate over it.)
I'm afraid the cricket will make a good nest and may lay eggs.

I'm probably over reacting a lot but I just want the best for them. :$
Sorry for all the nooby questions :$

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Please don't heat them with a spotlight. If you want them to be warmer, warm up the room.

Glubu

Arachnosquire
Could you tell me why?
The person I've bought them from had them heated this way for 3 months.
Or is it possible to actually cook them?

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Maybe they moved a lot because they didn't like the spot light on them? If they aren't moving much, they are probably comfortable.

Glubu

Arachnosquire
That could be a possibity yes. Actually never thought about that.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
First off, they spend their time in burrows or just outside of their burrows. Direct light could definitely cook them. They need to keep moisture within their exoskeleton and direct light will stress them and could dry them out.

Glubu

Arachnosquire
Alright.
Good to know, than they are probably very happy now :O

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
If you only keep the crickets in there for a day or two you shouldn't have any problems. I had some pinheads in my old Emperor scorpion's tank and I just removed them easily. If you're only going to put in a couple, no matter what happens, you should have an easy time removing them. Since most of the substrate should be bone dry, it will be hard for crickets to last too long anyway.

---------- Post added 02-28-2012 at 01:08 PM ----------

I totally understand stressing about a new pet, but your Ts are probably going to be the easiest things you've ever cared for. If something happens to them after you have followed the advice given to you (especially by Pikiai) then it's most likely not your fault.

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
... So when I will heat them with a spotlight witch was in their older enclosure (It got up to 27-28(80.6-82.4 fahrenheit) degrees celcius in there and 17 in the night) they would move more and eat often right? ...
Maybe. Or they could die if they get too hot and dry. The point of keeping the tarantulas is to keep them alive, to learn something about an almost completely alien life form, not to make them jump around faster.

... They are not wild caught as far as I know because the guy I bought them from bought it from someone. (The guy I bought them from only had them 3 months)
The female is from 2009 and the male from 2010. ...
Unlikely. They're too large to be only 2 and 3 years old based on your photos. Chilean roses are slow growing, desert tarantulas, not fast growing, rain forest species. I vote "Wild Caught" and maybe 10 to 15 years old. Probably. Usually. Maybe. On a good day. Possibly. (There's nothing "for sure" where Chilean roses are concerned! :unsure:)

It's much more likely that those are the years when he BOUGHT them, not when they were hatched.

... I've checked him and thought he might be a she, I've posted pictures on the sexing gallery but no response at all. ...
I just found your photos at [url]http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/showimage.php?i=25118&c=9[/url] and [url]http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/gallery/showimage.php?i=25117&c=9[/url].

FEMALE!

... I WILL NEVER EVER PUT THEM TOGETHER :) ...
Excellent idea! Especially since they're both female.

... The problem with tossing a cricket in is that the cricket can burrow in the spiders home-made cave. (wood with loads of substrate over it.) ...
What's this "wood" thing you're talking about? What kind of wood? Why?

If the cricket can dig itself in, it can also dig itself out again. It doesn't make any difference if the tarantula eats it before or after.

... I'm afraid the cricket will make a good nest and may lay eggs. ...
If you're keeping the tarantula properly the cage and substrate will be much too dry for the eggs to hatch. No worries there.

... I'm probably over reacting a lot but I just want the best for them. ...
GO BACK AND READ CARE AND HUSBANDRY OF THE CHILEAN ROSE TARANTULA AGAIN. MAYBE AT LEAST TWICE.

... Sorry for all the nooby questions :$
"The only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask."
"Dumb questions are always easier to deal with than dumb mistakes!"

Fire away!

Having said that, it would be helpful if you read the books and other material we recommend before popping questions. It saves a lot of time and bandwidth.

Hope this helps.

Glubu

Arachnosquire
Pikaia I really appreciate your long awnsers! (I don't quite know how all those quotes work so I will just give awnser in the order you posted it)

I agree that keeping them alive and happy is the most important thing, and I won't put any sort of heating inside the enclosure.

I've counted backwards for the years.
The guy said they are 2.5 and 3 years old.
The biggest female is 5-6 cm (leg span) and the other female (what i've bought as male) is 4-5 cm.
Is the change really THAT huge that they are wild caught? (I know that they are reallly hard to breed)

Thank you for confirming my thought I really appreciate it.

This wood i'm talking about it actually bark. You see it on 1 of the photos where the female is on it.
I covered it with substrate (eco-earth).

Alright than I can be sure there wont be any little crickets inside of the T enclosure.

I've read it about 5 times. I just like to hear it from others too and that way I sometimes understand it better.

Once again thanks a lot for your time and long awnsers.

The largest female is moving around and webbing everything and the other female is sitting on a small flat stone and doing nothing.
She did walked back wards to poop against the wall though :)

Last edited:

Stan Schultz

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Pikaia I really appreciate your long awnsers! ...
I drive lots of people crazy.

(I don't quite know how all those quotes work so I will just give awnser in the order you posted it)

... The biggest female is 5-6 cm (leg span) and the other female (what i've bought as male) is 4-5 cm.
Is the change really THAT huge that they are wild caught? (I know that they are reallly hard to breed) ...
Wow! They look twice that size in your photos! I suppose it's possible for them to be that old at about 5 cm DLS. All right, I'llaccept that they may very likely be captive bred.

... This wood i'm talking about it actually bark. You see it on 1 of the photos where the female is on it.
I covered it with substrate (eco-earth).

Next time you clean the cage (which shouldn't be necessary for almost a year) don't use the bark/wood. Use whatever brand of shredded coconut husk is available. In spite of all they try to tell you, they're all pretty much the same. If you have a choice go for cheap.

... The largest female is moving around and webbing everything and the other female is sitting on a small flat stone and doing nothing.
She did walked back wards to poop against the wall though :)
Must simply be personality differences. I can't think of any other good answer.

Cheers and best of luck.

Glubu

Arachnosquire
Thank you :)

I agree they look a lot bigger on the photos but I can't wait till they get bigger, although it will take a while :p.