G. rosea genetics

Spider Girl

Arachnopeon
I have 2 mature male G. rosea's, normal colour form, and was wondering if I paired them with a RCF female, would some of their offspring turn out to be RCF?

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
NO RCF... ive recently paired a NCF rosie and a PCF and wondered the same thing about these... based on my limited experience and reading THIS> http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/sho...insight-into-its-genetics&highlight=recessive < your interbreeding wont result with any red phase... you will, however, end up with a good mix of PINK phase, and NORMAL color phase. hope this helps. you can read about it , and maybe get some tips in my pairing thread here> http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?228845-MM.-G-rosea

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That link posted above is just speculation. I personally think that the color forms are separate populations that rarely (if ever) interbreed. There are multiple traits that seem to segregate with the color forms, which could be caused by pleiotropy, very strong correlated selection or drastically reduced gene flow. I think the final option is the most likely. Should that be the case, the genetics underlying color could be a simple Mendelian trait or a very complex trait that is controlled by multiple genes. Until someone does a thorough study crossing all of the different forms over a couple generations and follows all of the offspring to adulthood, we won't know for sure.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
yeah.. i figured the op would end up reading that in the link.. Jayefbe i wont even PRETEND I UNDERSTAND what you were just talking about. can you dumb that down a bit man? what do you think the op's outcome could be then? what about MY breeding outcome? hell, im not concerned with colorphase at this point.. id just like to actuall get a sack.. SO FAR it looks like i may achieve one:biggrin:

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
+1 explanation, Jayfbe.

I've got a guaranteed Red Colour Form, A grey rosie and a pink one... If I find a male he's gonna be one happy guy;) until he gets eaten, haha.

Zoomer428

Arachnosquire
Do u know anything about punnet squares reccesive traits and dominant that could answer your question

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
In a sentence, the genetics aren't known and won't be known until someone completes all of the breedings. It is possible that the color forms are caused by a single locus (gene) for which there are 2 alleles. In that case, you can use the punnett squares that everyone learns about in high school biology. It could also be affected by multiple loci, in which case quantitative genetics approaches are most appropriate for attempting to understand the genetic architecture.

---------- Post added 05-07-2012 at 01:26 PM ----------

Do u know anything about punnet squares reccesive traits and dominant that could answer your question
The aforementioned link has a LOT about punnett squares, and a fantastic primer on introductory Mendelian genetics. Punnett squares are just a tool, however, and can't be used to "answer a question". In this case, doing the breedings is the only way to determine the genetics of color form. (If there was a polymorphic population, or naturally occurring "hybrids" between the forms then you could perform a genome-wide association study, which is becoming more and more simple these days. Still, very expensive and requires the aforementioned polymorphic populations).

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
so until the research is complete there is no DIFINITIVE answer/explanation.. gotcha.. thanks scientist:biggrin:

---------- Post added 05-07-2012 at 02:09 PM ----------

wasnt intended as an attack...better add that

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You got it. If you get a sac from your pairing, be sure to follow a good number of offspring. I'm definitely interested in seeing what color forms show up.

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
will do.. im doin a 50/50 and plan to keep a handful of the pairing for select experiments anyway.. may as well keep THIS topic in mind too. i will run this buy the member the male came from as well.. maybe between the both of us we can get somethin goin (at least in this one instance)

Spider Girl

Arachnopeon
Thanks guys, I'll check out all these links. I'm currently looking for a female, and if I can pair up my boys while they're available, I'll be sure to keep records and see what happens. Thanks again!