Methods of euthanasia, other than the freezer.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I thought about euthanizing my MM G.rosea last night as he was looking pretty awful. My fiance thought putting him in the freezer was cruel somehow, which I may discuss with her later, but end result--I put him in ICU, figuring as long as I wasn't freezing him I might as well do everything I could.

Turned out not to matter in the end, and personally I would have rather frozen him than make him "suffer," for a few more hours. And I use quotes because, personally, I doubt they have a capacity for suffering. Really, most of the suffering was probably on my end.

Anyway, just for future reference--is there any way to put them down other than the freezer? I saw some threads about alcohol, but I'm not sure how that works, and I am 100% unwilling to try the "boot method" suggested in other topics.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think your best and cheapest bet will be the freezer.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ah, well, do some research through here so you have some supporting evidence that it's not torture for the spider.

forrestpengra

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
An alternative could be CO2... More a pain in the butt to setup, but an option nonetheless...

Look up methods for sedation, some individuals use CO2. (talkenlate02, I believe is his user name, he used it for surgery on one of his pokies).

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Ah, well, do some research through here so you have some supporting evidence that it's not torture for the spider.
;)
Can do.

Ultimately, I just don't think that's going to be a productive conversation with her. Gotta choose my battles, lol.
She's not creeped out by my spiders in the least, but she's on the other end of the spectrum--they're fuzzy and cute and have feelings, and putting them in a cold,dark freezer is mean. Emotional response on her part rather than logical--but that's part of why I love her. I'm too cerebral sometimes. But that's really neither here nor there.

I'm not 100% convinced T's don't have some sort of emotions, but I will say I am 99% convinced, and the remaining 1% is absolutely sure that if they do, it is something much simpler and more alien than our own.

Ultimately, one could make the case that euthanizing a T is inherently futile as they don't suffer, so "putting it out of it's misery" doesn't really apply--BUT I feel miserable watching a T linger, even if the T itself is not in any pain or experiencing emotional suffering. So, I want to have some sort of way to put a T down if ever I should need to.

FP: Maybe a CO2 before a freeze would satisfy her. They'd be knocked out prior to freeze.

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Maybe, if you want to spend the extra time and resources. Up to you. :}

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, toss the spider and a chip of dry ice in a container that's nearly airtight (so air exits as the dry ice sublimates). The CO2 will knock the spider out, then you can put the whole setup in the freezer for a few hours.

You might also remind her that darkness, solitude, and confinement in small spaces are all things tarantulas like. The only think they probably don't like about the freezer is the cold.

Kirk

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
For a cold-blooded animal, death by way of cold is about as non-cruel and efficient as you can get. Over thinking the task is unnecessary.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
For a cold-blooded animal, death by way of cold is about as non-cruel and efficient as you can get. Over thinking the task is unnecessary.

I agree. It's not like they're going to shiver and cry and all that. They just slow down and stop. Still sad though... :(

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Pointing that out might work actually.

Smitty: O_O
As a means of disposal, I suppose, but alive? I couldn't do that. I'm not saying that's cruel, but I couldn't do that to a pet. I guess I'm more emotional than I thought. Honestly, I could barely flush my dead fish

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
The heaviest block you can find and dropped from a height onto the critter.
If I had the choice,I know what I would prefer.....freezer or head smashed in with one go......very quickly !
BTW.....how do people know what the pain thresholds are for T's and if they suffer while being "freezed" ?

BrettG

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
They don't Paul.Some like to think they do though.OP,I am sorry to hear this.Just do what YOU feel is right. It IS your T,correct?Tell the girl to deal with it,or leave if she does not want to be around when it happens.And then just do the deed.Not trying to be cold hearted,but just choose a way and get it over with.

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Lol...Like dropping a block on it and flushing it in the toilet? How's mine any worse.

Yes, I have 2 and planning to get 2-3 more next week.

paul fleming

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Lol...Like dropping a block on it and flushing it in the toilet? How's mine any worse.

Yes, I have 2 and planning to get 2-3 more next week.
That is the way I would do it......just thought the 12 gauge was a bit OTT.:rolleyes:
What you planning on getting.....anything nice ?