handable

le-thomas

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Based on the bite reports, you have to be incredibly stupid and unlucky (at the same time) to be bit by an avic.

Vespula

Arachnodemon
In my experience, Aphonopelma chalcodes can't be beat for handling. The only thing mine's ever done negatively is poo in my hand once. And that was after about an hour's worth of handling during a presentation for children at a summer camp.

Bugmom

Arachnolord
In my experience, Aphonopelma chalcodes can't be beat for handling. The only thing mine's ever done negatively is poo in my hand once. And that was after about an hour's worth of handling during a presentation for children at a summer camp.
That's what I was coming to say. I've only had A. chalcodes (this one I have now... maybe a chalcode? I'm not entirely sure her exact species yet as she looks a bit different than the A. chalcodes I had before, and I caught her in my yard vs bought from our local pet store). Anyway, she will walk onto your hand if you put it in her tank. Probably as a means to escape the tank, but still, very docile.

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The T that will be calm at the specific moment you decide to touch it. Might be a different individual every day....

RS4guy

Arachnosquire
Never had any experience with terrestrial T's, but Avics in general are pretty docile, and not prone to bite. They are a bit flighty though.

Necromion

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I honestly find that it all depends on the tarantula, for example I would rather hold my P. regalis over avic avic (not that I would just saying) as my avic is a complete and total spaz and has bitten me just out of holding the poor thing. Just like my best T to handle would be my LP (if a little difficult as she grows due to size). Its all up to the personality of the T.

marvs08

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
G. pulchripes for me... But I do agree with the other previous comments that it will may vary from one T to another, even if they are of the same species.

malevolentrobot

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Based on the bite reports, you have to be incredibly stupid and unlucky (at the same time) to be bit by an avic.
i find this amusing as i have met exceptions to this. i must know a lot of contrary arachnids. my friends A. chalcodes was a nasty piece of work last time i checked up on it, but we'll see if that sticks. also if you are generalizing most Avicularia spp. i'll have to contend that as i've had the pleasure of meeting vile A. avicularia, A. bicegoi and A. diversipes.

the only two across the board i have seen in nearly every specimen i have come across "docile" are G. pulchra and G. pulchripes, but as already stated there are exceptions to every rule. i think Shell was the one who had a nasty G. pulchripes for a while and Scoolman already mentioned having a bitey G. pulchra.

and then to make things more contrary there are the people with handleable OBTs and P. regalis. sooooo... its unfortunately never steadfast, only a decent consensus of individuals reporting back temperament of specimens. don't get your hopes up for the perfect handleable tarantula without a search and don't ever expect it to abide by your guidelines on behaviour. temperament can change in specimens during pre/postmolt/size/age and how they have been fed as well.