Papilio's photo thread

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Very cool man, thanks for the very informative response. I'm going to try and get to know my camera a little better here in the coming months and maybe then I'll be able to put out pictures half as spectacular is yours, haha. You do some awesome work, keep it up. Also, I wonder if any of those slings are from my hatchings. :p

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very cool man, thanks for the very informative response. I'm going to try and get to know my camera a little better here in the coming months and maybe then I'll be able to put out pictures half as spectacular is yours, haha. You do some awesome work, keep it up. Also, I wonder if any of those slings are from my hatchings. :p
Wow, that'd be so cool if they were!

The only ones I don't know about are the regalises, I bought them from Raul. Chad and I both just happened to get our (now mature) P. subfusca highlands from Vitaliy, my P. baras are from Anastasia and the A. diversipes slings are from a MM which I gave to Jamie.

Thanks again for the compliments, very much appreciated!! :D Forgive me please for not leaving many comments, but I've spent no small amount of time gazing at your photos!! :)

matt82

Arachnoknight
Great progression shots of he P. regalis, Michael, excellent looking Pokie!

"Approach of the Regalis" is an amazing shot, the original view has a ridiculous amount of detail!

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great progression shots of he P. regalis, Michael, excellent looking Pokie!

"Approach of the Regalis" is an amazing shot, the original view has a ridiculous amount of detail!
Thanks a lot Matt! :) I got pretty lucky with that "Approach" shot, she was absolutely motionless while I got two very deep image stacks ... in the first one I missed a 'step' so there was a blurry band there, and on the second one she decided to move just enough to make further stacking images impossible right as I had reached the back of the carapace!

Just as with most of my Ts, the photo was taken through the regalis' acrylic housing ... I'm thinking of turning my bedroom (minus my bed) into my T room so that for the first time I'll have a safe, large area of floor space, so that I can take the Ts out to photograph them, I'd expect the sharpness then to be quite pleasing. :)

But I was quite happy with this photo ... just wish I had known the merits of diffused lighting back then! ;)

Last edited:

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Alien ornata

When I fed it last night, this tiny sling went wild and snagged four roaches in its fangs within seconds. I had planned on this being just another focus stack, but considering the sling's attitude I thought maybe I'd take the image in an opposite direction than usual ... I left off the upper layers of the stack, leaving the sling's eyes in a sort of mindless, zombied blur and letting the sharp focus of the eerily infant-like roach eyes become the image's rather morbid point of attention.

Poecilotheria ornata 1-inch sling by _papilio, on Flickr

7 stacked images

Last edited:

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
The latest love of my life.

I've wanted one for a long, long time, a truly white adult female H. mac. I'd never actually seen one in person, and I know as well as anyone how difficult it is for photos to tell the truth, so I was ecstatic to see her when she arrived yesterday looking exactly as I'd imagined!

What a an elegant stunner ... and so far I'd have to say that she's as docile as any T that I have.

The new love of my life! by _papilio, on Flickr

Heteroscodra maculata, 5-inch adult female by _papilio, on Flickr

Heteroscodra maculata, 5-inch adult female by _papilio, on Flickr

advan

oOOo
Staff member
She's gorgeous! Enjoy her now before she gets settled in! :)

jbm150

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Gorgeous H. mac, I was going to ask if you had one. I'd have loved to see your photos of it and sure enough :)

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Wow, that'd be so cool if they were!
Since you got your P. tigrinawesseli from Pat I figured that some of your other T's might have been from my hatchings last year. But I guess I was wrong lol. Nice shots of the H. mac!

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks guys! I'm pretty excited about her ... she's on the small side, but somehow that even seems to add to the pristine appearance.

matt82

Arachnoknight
Great new addition Michael, H. maculata is also a T that's right up there on my want-list; an amazingly camouflaged species in the wild I reckon! Are they similar in LS to a Poeci or a little on the smaller side? Fantastic pics as standard!

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Great new addition Michael, H. maculata is also a T that's right up there on my want-list; an amazingly camouflaged species in the wild I reckon! Are they similar in LS to a Poeci or a little on the smaller side? Fantastic pics as standard!
Gracias! :) She's just as I'd always wanted ... I've raised them myself from slings in the past but they all came out more tan, not too interesting. She's really quite small. This is actually Thad's! Check out his photos with her beside a dime. ;) That kind of threw me at first, it looked so tiny (seems larger in real life) that I also had him pick up and send me another female from a neighbor of his! But that one's going on the auction block, it's about an inch larger but doesn't have the same elegance as his.

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Last edited:

advan

oOOo
Staff member
Very nice Michael! Be sure to let me know when he matures! :D

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Very nice Michael! Be sure to let me know when he matures! :D
Cool, thanks for reminding me Chad! I def will! :D

Any chance of your getting your hands on a MF L. nigerrimum? I've got a male which should be maturing before too long now. ;) How's your experience with pairing Asians?

And speaking of trying it with my H. maculata, I actually have a second female which I bought at the same time and is about an inch larger than this one, but not quite so pretty (just a bit darker coloration). Would it be a better idea to pass on a 'size' gene or a 'pretty' gene? :)

Last edited:

papilio

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A few random photos

Here are some older photos of mine which have interesting aspects to them I think, but don't really fit into any other particular groups except one of their own. :)

Psalmopoeus cambridgei post-molt colors. by _papilio, on Flickr

What's holding these? by _papilio, on Flickr

Acanthoscuria geniculata, carapace rear by _papilio, on Flickr

Stromatopelma calceatum sperm-web palp charging. Featherleg Baboon by _papilio, on Flickr

Backlit Avicularia amazonica eyes on exuvium by _papilio, on Flickr

Prometheus

Arachnoknight
Michael these are by far the sickest photos on AB bro! People should bring their T's to your house to get them photographed. Keep up the professional work, I am deffinetly going to be back to this thread.

Cheers,

Chris