black sand works great for desert scorps

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well ive always kept my desert scorps on natural colored or white sand but i just cleaned out an enclosure and decided to try black. It makes a huge difference and i can see the scorp so much easier now.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Where? where!? I don't see the scorp! lol kidding, ya it works very good, the scorpions is very visible! I love the black sand even more cause it's my favorite color!

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea its unique, and im guessing it will show cricket left overs and poop better so i can spot clean easier. Im woundering if it will heat up alot more than white if im using a redbulb?

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
yea its unique, and im guessing it will show cricket left overs and poop better so i can spot clean easier. Im woundering if it will heat up alot more than white if im using a redbulb?
I think it will cause white reflects heat and light, while black attracts heat and light.

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
What kind of sand did you use? and where did you get it from? I'm thinking of picking up a H. arizonesis relatively soon and I love the way that looks, great job.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What kind of sand did you use? and where did you get it from? I'm thinking of picking up a H. arizonesis relatively soon and I love the way that looks, great job.
Thanks, its exo-terra desert sand i got at a local reptile store.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I personally found it too fine to hold a burrow, and very dusty. But if you like it, why not?

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
yea i dont keep him in a burrow setup, although he likes to dig and get under the wood

chaoshybrid6

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
This kind of sand wouldn't be good if I were to use a setup that allowed a scorp to burrow?

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
i don't know...but ideally you would add it in small layers, an inch or so at a time. Moisten the sand ahead of time or as you add it...pack it down pretty hard using your hand (or whatever you want), add another layer, compact, add layer, compact, and so on until it's the depth you want. You won't be able to just pour sand in a tank to allow tunneling, not quite that simple.

edit: btw...i really like how that tank looks :)

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i don't know...but ideally you would add it in small layers, an inch or so at a time. Moisten the sand ahead of time or as you add it...pack it down pretty hard using your hand (or whatever you want), add another layer, compact, add layer, compact, and so on until it's the depth you want. You won't be able to just pour sand in a tank to allow tunneling, not quite that simple.

edit: btw...i really like how that tank looks :)
thanks, yea you will have to treat the sand with water and whatnot then it will be sutible for burrowing

parabuthus

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I personally found it too fine to hold a burrow, and very dusty. But if you like it, why not?
Ditto. I tried the black calci / desert sand mix for my Hadrurus, but it didn't hold, even after water mixing and tight compacting. For some reason the black sand -that I purchased- was much finer than the yellow or red, even the calci sand was quite fine. So I reverted back to the more regular colors where the calci sand, for whatever reason, is much chunkier and therefore more efficient for preparing a burrowing enivironment.

That said, it could have been a coincidence and possibly just down to the specific calci-sand bag which I purchased. But I find it interesting that you had the same problem.

Crono

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I mixed it about 40/60 sand/peat, and it just wouldn't hold.
Like I mentioned, it was extremely dusty, and I also found it a little too abrasive for my tastes. I honestly couldn't
I still have a few bags of it around, but washed playsand seems to work better for me. It doesn't look as cool though.

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
what REALLY works for me and looks cool also is I get a bag of regular sand from home depot and about put about 4in on the bottom of my cage, then i lay about 1/2in of the nice expensive sand on the top... that way my cage looks nice, and it's preped for burrows. it's also nice because i don't have to waste alot of money on colored sand which is really a rip off.

JungleGuts

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
what REALLY works for me and looks cool also is I get a bag of regular sand from home depot and about put about 4in on the bottom of my cage, then i lay about 1/2in of the nice expensive sand on the top... that way my cage looks nice, and it's preped for burrows. it's also nice because i don't have to waste alot of money on colored sand which is really a rip off.

depends on how you look at it, your paying for the color yes, so your paying for something different than normal sand. If you find it on sale, dont keep burrow setups, and want good looking enclosure than its not much of a ripoff.

compnerd7

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
depends on how you look at it, your paying for the color yes, so your paying for something different than normal sand. If you find it on sale, dont keep burrow setups, and want good looking enclosure than its not much of a ripoff.
oh yes of course, this was a suggestion for some1 who wants scorps to burrow in their enclosure.. if no then it is pointsless.

brandontmyers

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
i went to petco today and saw some new substrate. It was called clay burrowing sand, and they had one on display, it was really cool. I have never seen it before..