Too many questions about uninteresting tarantulas and lack of common sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hehe, this thread is great.

My questions is if everything that ever needs to be said has already done so, then why are we all posting here anyway?
Thats one thing that ive thought about numerous times when people say a thread is redundant due to the question being asked before. Honeslty, pretty much every question regarding t husbandry seems to have been asked multiples times, if everyone, newbies and the more experienced alike were to all use the search function and never douple post a question, these boards would be dead and really fairly pointless.
This is probably the most valid argument when it comes to repeat threads/questions/etc. I've actually addressed it and offered my view several times:

It would weed out all the repeat threads, leaving the threads that actually have substance on the first page or two.
A little more in-depth:

This is gonna be fun. :)

Oh, and btw Jason, I think I'm gonna borrow that line for my sig, too. Can you send me the code? ;)

tjmi2k - If you ran a search for pretty much what you just said, you will find this has already been discussed many times before.

I will, however, take more of my time to give you the 'run down' as to why your couple sentence quoted above are not true.

If people would stop asking the stupid (or repeat, take your pick) questions, then the discussion forum's front page would be full of threads that are actually semi important or require more brainpower and discussion than 'why won't my rosie eat?' or 'does this look like premolt?' or any other similar threads.

This would lead to more intelligent conversation and people learning tons more than seeing the same five or ten questions asked over and over again.

There is also no way possible that every question has been asked. I continually think of things that I have never seen covered on AB (that doesn't mean they have never been addressed before), but you get my point. Keep your eye on the boards, you'll see. That is, if you aren't bombarded by all the 'noop' :? questions.

And as far as your missing the recent thread about this exact same thing...if you had taken the time to search and find it, it probably would have taken less of it than it would have to start your new thread and post your replies thus far. So saying you would rather spend time with your arachnids is another statement that really makes no sense.

Learning how to use this forum and its tools is just as valuable as learning about the arachnids you and I both love. Something everyone on these boards has in common, even if that's the only thing.

I believe your question has been answered and there is no more reason to post on this thread. Of course, I expect you will respond to me, which is fine. :) However, based on what you said, shouldn't the mods lock this thread down now that your question has been answered? :?

(obligatory smileys so people don't think I'm being mean):

:) :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;) :} {D

--Joe
This mainly applies (in my opinion) to threads like:

• What spider should I get next?
  • Why isn't my rose hair eating?
  • Is my spider dead or molting?
  • How do I keep spiderlings?
  • Should I use a heat pad?
  • How often do I mist?
  • <insert any other repeat 'how-to' or 'what is wrong?' topic here>

In other words...threads that, in my opinion, fit the topic of this thread.

So yeah, my two cents.

--Joe

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
Hi
My questions is if everything that ever needs to be said has already done so, then why are we all posting here anyway?
My take on all of this. ;)

There are some threads, handling, taming, hybrids, vertebrate feeding and common G. rosea stuff for example, that have been beaten to death soooo many times on here, that pretty much everything can be answered by using the search function.

For the more controversial ones (hybrids, taming etc) the best bet really is the search function, to avoid starting yet another 10 page war that ends up getting locked.

The same goes for the basic questions like "how do I take care of a G. rosea?" there is a great sticky and TONS of info to be found with the search function.

I'm not saying don't start new threads, because yes, that is what this forum is for, what I'm saying is search first. If it's something that comes up over and over again, chances are we don't need another thread on it, and your answers can be found there.

If you don't find your answers or have something new or different to say, go for it. :) The tarantula chat subforum is for chatting about our spiders etc, it just gets a little redundant to see 10 G. rosea threads all going at once on the first page.

It's not about NOT starting new threads, it's about using the incredible resources here and adding and contributing to the forum in a positive way. Not cluttering it up with the same old threads over and over. :)

Just my .02

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
People join a forum to "be part of it" I can understand the redundancy of most questions. It is there way of feeling that personal touch that is somehow aquired on the internet. If the noob did not post the question I think the attention or connection the person is looking for would not be there. For all the experience that some have they tend to overlook the fact that they too were a noob at one point in time! In retail you get the same 20 questions from beginners alot. The good retailer has patience with this and answers them. I can understand Pavlor not seeing the TKG he is in Finland!

Wade

Pavlor

Arachnopeon
Not knowing about the TKG is simply sad.
Why? I have never heard of it, akpropst; a simple truth. If I don't know something, I ask what it is, hence my asking what TKG is. I don't believe in asking a stupid question (or "sad" in this case... ;) as if you are looking after the lives of things, sometimes stupid questions need to be asked. If all those people came asking questions about their respective Roseas, and got the responses that you and your like have given, who *knows* what those people think, and what will happen to their wonderful little spider. Treat people with the same respect you would want, even if you think they are "stupid" and/or "sad" =)

Thats one thing that ive thought about numerous times when people say a thread is redundant due to the question being asked before. Honeslty, pretty much every question regarding t husbandry seems to have been asked multiples times, if everyone, newbies and the more experienced alike were to all use the search function and never douple post a question, these boards would be dead and really fairly pointless.
Yes! And one of the important points that people miss is that when joining an online forum, one often joins to learn the very basics of a hobby one has just started. And many people start the hobby with a Rosea.

---------- Post added 01-23-2012 at 06:13 PM ----------

It's a great book, but if you're brand new to tarantulas how are you supposed to know about this book? Psychic powers? Was it featured on Reading Rainbow? I must have missed that episode.
I'm hardly brand new to tarantulas. I just don't live in an anglocentric country and much of the stuff I read is from research on the Net and I don't always read in English. Why would I need to know TKG? I find it so bizarre that this is considered "sad", but to each their own =)

Last edited:

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Why? I have never heard of it, akpropst; a simple truth. If I don't know something, I ask what it is, hence my asking what TKG is. I don't believe in asking a stupid question (or "sad" in this case... ;) as if you are looking after the lives of things, sometimes stupid questions need to be asked. If all those people came asking questions about their respective Roseas, and got the responses that you and your like have given, who *knows* what those people think, and what will happen to their wonderful little spider. Treat people with the same respect you would want, even if you think they are "stupid" and/or "sad" =)

Yes! And one of the important points that people miss is that when joining an online forum, one often joins to learn the very basics of a hobby one has just started. And many people start the hobby with a Rosea.

---------- Post added 01-23-2012 at 06:13 PM ----------

I'm hardly brand new to tarantulas. I just don't live in an anglocentric country and much of the stuff I read is from research on the Net and I don't always read in English. Why would I need to know TKG? I find it so bizarre that this is considered "sad", but to each their own =)
Don't worry about it. I don't think it's sad at all. However, if you like tarantulas, it's well worth reading if you can get a copy.

Pavlor

Arachnopeon
Yes, I may. I've kept tarantulas for years succesfully without having ever heard of the TKG so I believe it's possible to enjoy the hobby *and* not have heard of the book *lol*

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's also why we have stickies. ;)

Pavlor

Arachnopeon
That's also why we have stickies. ;)
Oh I agree that stickies are great, although if you're new to this forum/any forum, you may not be forum-literate so you just post any old crap. We sometimes forget that some people just get a spider and then look online and find a whole world out there that they never knew existed... It's like in the real world, xhexdx: Have you ever been to a place without a map but some instructions and tried to find the place you are looking for? Some people are good at that, and some people aren't =)

---------- Post added 01-23-2012 at 06:38 PM ----------

yay for people who don't do their research ^
I do a whole lot of research, Crysta ;)

---------- Post added 01-23-2012 at 06:40 PM ----------

Hi
I'm one of the new idiots I'm sure. Yet in the definition of a forum:

fo·rum/ˈfôrəm/
Noun:
A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

If I'm in the wrong place I'd gladly welcome someone lead me to a site I can enjoy conversing about these amazing creatures I have recently learned to enjoy.

I hope you read to the bottom and hear me also say...

I am very thankful to all the responses I have gotten from a lot of smart trusted members. Stupid questions or not, they have all been helpful answers and Thrixopelma sp. "Nancy" thanks you as well.
( my unidentifiable T )
:)
She is in a happy home because of you all!

Suzanne/Crazydaisy.
Thank God for people like Craisydaisy =)

---------- Post added 01-23-2012 at 06:49 PM ----------

Im just referring to the user whos been here since 2006, and saying that he does look at the boards researching; but it makes me wonder if he does since the TKG is mentioned in numerous thread...

Oh Crysta... =) Please first take a look at when my last comment was made before I rejoined the place. Also, I don't believe I ever said that I "look at the boards researching" ... If I remember rightly, when my Avic died, I didn't come back to the forum. I have had tarantulas since, but didn't feel the need to come to the forum for some reason. I just acquired a M. Balfouri and because there's not much info on this species *that I could find*, I decided to come and sniff around the forum again. No big deal =)

groovyspider

Arachnoknight
Theres no such thing as dumb questions only dumb people and reptivly asked questions by dumb people

ijmccollum

Arachnosquire
:coffee:Oh dear!

To a nOOb, a G. rosea may be the most exciting thing in the world. Sticky's are good as is the search function, but please recognize that not every one on here is an adult, uberly educated, etc so lets all play nice.:happy:

Pavlor

Arachnopeon
:coffee:Oh dear!

To a nOOb, a G. rosea may be the most exciting thing in the world. Sticky's are good as is the search function, but please recognize that not every one on here is an adult, uberly educated, etc so lets all play nice.:happy:
It doesn't matter whether you're an adult or "uberly" educated, ijmccollum - people should be allowed to be able to post basic questions. It would be more helpful to provide the person with the relevant link rather than to *try* and belittle the person because he or she a) has little to no knowledge about tarantulas, b) hasn't acquainted him or herself with stickies or the search function, or c) has never heard of the book TKG ;) A quick look at my profile will reveal why =) When I go to a forum, and this is by no means the only one I frequent, I like to just post so as to get a feel of the place. Learning by doing, Kolb's Learning Circle and all that (http://www.ldu.leeds.ac.uk/ldu/sddu_multimedia/kolb/kolb_flash.htm). So far, there have been a few individuals I've noticed here who've come off as course, jéjeune and supercillious, even towards me, but it's water off a duck's back, really, as I'm not easily offended and I enjoy debate - not a problem - but I don't ever go ad hom =)

Last edited:

AbraxasComplex

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To throw some fuel on the fire... I do not own and have not read the TKG. I've picked it up at pet stores and skimmed it, but never invested my time in absorbing its knowledge. Instead I applied knowledge I learned from a variety of other sources, my own experience with different exotics, weather/climate charts from the various areas of origin, and my interest in ecology and ecological niches. Combine some Sherlock sleuthing skills with Darwinian observations and you'll be fully skilled in this hobby...

Or with most new hobbyists, especially younger ones, who end up not having any knowledge base may see the TKG as a daunting task or are turned off by the price tag. It also lacks a search engine attached to it, so discovering the answer to the question that seems new to them, but far too redundant for us, is much easier to do by posting online.

It is in my professional opinion as a secret forum troll to lock away all new hobbyists away in a 5'x5'x5' padded cell with the partial exuvium of a Brachypelma smithi, 4 pounds of unsalted butter, and a Lionel Richie CD (preferably Can't Slow Down). If within 2.73 years they do not write the whole collective works of Shakespeare, sonnets and all, or discover the cure for cancer they will not be allowed on Arachnoboards. Sound good?

Pavlor

Arachnopeon
It is in my professional opinion as a secret forum troll to lock away all new hobbyists away in a 5'x5'x5' padded cell with the partial exuvium of a Brachypelma smithi, 4 pounds of unsalted butter, and a Lionel Richie CD (preferably Can't Slow Down). If within 2.73 years they do not write the whole collective works of Shakespeare, sonnets and all, or discover the cure for cancer they will not be allowed on Arachnoboards. Sound good?
But will they be able to use the search function and read stickies *FIRST* before offending certain people by *gasp* asking *a question*? ;) *lol*

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
But will they be able to use the search function and read stickies *FIRST* before offending certain people by *gasp* asking *a question*? ;) *lol*
You do realize that posts like this are counterproductive, right?

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are some threads, handling, taming, hybrids, vertebrate feeding and common G. rosea stuff for example, that have been beaten to death soooo many times on here....
Very true. But nobody is forced to read threads that don't sound interesting to them. I don't check the forums every day (I actually have a life), and when I do I read only a small portion of the threads that are posted. If someone asks yet again what they should name their new Rosie, I ignore the thread. If a topic sounds interesting, I read it. Someone else who enjoys such conversations can jump in and deal with the topics that bore me. The board presents a wide range of threads/topics from people with a wide range of interests and backgrounds, and that is perhaps its greatest strength. Scientists can respond to other scientists, idiots can communicate happily with each other, and the hobby grows to include both (and many others as well).

And even though some topics have been beaten to death (vertebrate feeding comes to mind), there's always a possibility that someone has finally come up with some data or information that will lift it out of the perpetual realm of blind speculation. A brief scan of the thread will reveal whether this has happened, and if not (as is usually the case) the thread can be quickly and easily abandoned.

Pavlor

Arachnopeon
You do realize that posts like this are counterproductive, right?
Depends on the thread. I don't think this thread is particularly productive on the whole, xhexdx, so it would be difficult to throw up a "counter-productive" post here. Personally, I think you have overestimated many people's ability when first coming to a thread, and then, once learned, how to use it.

ijmccollum

Arachnosquire
+1 Bill S.

I am not trying to be "jéjeune and supercillious", quite the opposite and, I have worked in academic and goverment research collectively for over a decade and I am sure I have, and will ask stupid questions -- hopefully someone will take pity and be kind, even if it is a posted link.

Status
Not open for further replies.