P. regalis sex?

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
This one is about 2.5 inches in these pics. It did molt yesterday to just a hair over 3 inches. I did sex it so I know what it is but I wanted to see what people think :)

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I also thought it was a boy but after messing with the molt under the scope for some time I discovered that it is in fact a she….yey!!!!!

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Erm, if you say so, lol. Congratulations :D

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
No, I just don't have a clue, lol. I am rubbish at ventral sexing at the best of times and pokies are crazy.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't really see squat in that micro shot, but I guess time will tell. How big is that T?

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
In the picture she is 2.5 so that’s how big the molt is. Here is a closer pic.

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
That is bizarre though. It's obviously female but ventrally she looks so male! Crazy transgender spider.

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Doesn't have that hairless spot in the middle, so it is female. Looks like you confirmed that with the molt too. :clap:
Agreed. The more I stare at it the more I agree. Pictures are always tough for me when it comes to Regalis. I am slightly better in person. But not that much better. Regalis has always been able to trick me. :(

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Not doubting the picture or anything, but regalis has a fused (unilobular) spermathecae. I know they start out split in the early stages of development, then fuse at some point but I was under the impression this would have already happened on a specimen of this size. I have some old pics of mine at various sizes and all are fused, unfortunately I didn't reference the actual size in the pic title.

Anyone know approximately what the size of this T is when this transformation takes place?

Bill

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Funny you bring that up, I have been trying to look at some molts of my Regalis to figure that out. I think it starts to fuse around the 2-3" mark, It cant be much farther past that. But I am having a hard time with the smaller molts I have. So maybe I'll start taking some of my smaller molts to see how early that starts.

If anyone else knows please post!

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer

funnylori

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Your shots of the molt look like they are the wrong side. I thought one was supposed to look on the inside of the molt for the spermathecae, and the outside for fusillae. In any case, congrats on the lady.