I don't know :(

Gingerfish

Arachnopeon
This is pretty urgent :(
I rescued a rosie from a pet centre a few months ago, she had severely damaged palps. Recently, she's been acting so lethargic, she's probably going to molt as I see a bald spot under her abdomen hair, she doesn't kick much off. But I know for a fact she hasn't been hydrating herself as her water bowl is still full from when I filled it 6 days ago. And a third thing is, I find her in all these wierd positions, 2 weeks ago, she hasn't moved from a spot in a while and when I tried to nudge her, she didn't move one bit then I moved her onto the side of her water bowl she slid in and just stayed there, which then required me to rescue her out to prevent her drowning,and yesterday she was sideways with her 2 hind legs curled in, she jumped up when I touched her but this morning she was in the same position but doesn't want to move. Do you perhaps know what she's doing? I have her in ICU a third time this month, I don't want her to die as she's pretty big, but then I don't want to disturb her molting, if thats what she's trying to do.
I posted a picture
At the moment her palps are curled up under her and she lifts her legs when I touch them she also has gotten a pretty prominent bald spot. No movement from her when I touch her abdomen :?
I don't know if I should keep her in her enclosure so she can molt, or to keep her in ICU so she doesn't die
Thank you so much for your help

Attachments

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well first thing.. The "bald spot" is not a sign of premolt.. Im not sure where people are getting this.. But everyone is using it as a sign of premolt when its not.. Now.. UNDER the "bald spot" the abdomen will get dark.. THAT is a sign of premolt.. But not the actualy "bald spot"..

The "bald spot" is just a sign of missing urticating hairs...

Second.. If you placed it on the water dish & she slid into the water.. Then she was drinking.. Should could not drown that way.. The mistake you made was removing her... SO you are in fact keeping her from rehydrating herself...

From what you describe.. The legs curled under.. Then she jumps when disturbed.. She might have been grooming.. But I am not sure because you said she didnt move the next time..

What you can try doing.. Move her mouth in the water dish.. If she sinks in.. Then she is drinking..

Place her in a nice, dark, quiet, warm area of the house & leave her be..

Best of luck...

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
This is pretty urgent :(
I rescued a rosie from a pet centre a few months ago, she had severely damaged palps.
What do you mean by severely damaged?

Recently, she's been acting so lethargic, she's probably going to molt as I see a bald spot under her abdomen hair, she doesn't kick much off.
A bald spot does not indicate an upcoming molt, but the color underneath the bald spot does. If it is dark and almost black, then you can start looking for a molt to happen. However, premolt is pretty long for that size G. rosea.

The T could be drinking when you aren't around, but that T does look dehydrated to me in that picture. Have you noticed small hooks on the back of the front 2 legs? It is possible that you actually have a M(ature)M(ale) that is reaching the end of his days.

Gingerfish

Arachnopeon
What do you mean by severely damaged?

A bald spot does not indicate an upcoming molt, but the color underneath the bald spot does. If it is dark and almost black, then you can start looking for a molt to happen. However, premolt is pretty long for that size G. rosea.

The T could be drinking when you aren't around, but that T does look dehydrated to me in that picture. Have you noticed small hooks on the back of the front 2 legs? It is possible that you actually have a M(ature)M(ale) that is reaching the end of his days.
It is a female.
She does have a pretty dark bald spot. It looks like an immanent molt, I could put it down to that but none of my other T's have had this much of a problem before a molt? She hasn't moved from her spot for days, she definitely wasn't drinking :(
When I bought her, they said it was a bad molt, it looks like her palps are turned inwards and are bent at the bottom.

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It is a female.
She does have a pretty dark bald spot. It looks like an immanent molt, I could put it down to that but none of my other T's have had this much of a problem before a molt? She hasn't moved from her spot for days, she definitely wasn't drinking :(
When I bought her, they said it was a bad molt, it looks like her palps are turned inwards and are bent at the bottom.
We have had 2 different threads in the past couple weeks of people that have been told by a pet store that their T is female, when it is in fact male; so I had to ask.:)

So, let's focus on hydrating. A T's lungs are on the bottom of the abdomen, so put its mouth in the water and see if you can help it drink that way. I have also read of people turning the T over and actually putting drops of water into its mouth directly as well. I have not tried it myself, but given how weak you have described its behavior, I would give it a try if I were in your situation though. I wish you luck with her.:)

Gingerfish

Arachnopeon
We have had 2 different threads in the past couple weeks of people that have been told by a pet store that their T is female, when it is in fact male; so I had to ask.:)

So, let's focus on hydrating. A T's lungs are on the bottom of the abdomen, so put its mouth in the water and see if you can help it drink that way. I have also read of people turning the T over and actually putting drops of water into its mouth directly as well. I have not tried it myself, but given how weak you have described its behavior, I would give it a try if I were in your situation though. I wish you luck with her.:)
I did that, it doesn't look like she's drinking, shes barely even moving now, her eyes have even turned white ( they usually not noticeable but now they are)
shes not in the death curl or anything

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I did that, it doesn't look like she's drinking, shes barely even moving now, her eyes have even turned white ( they usually not noticeable but now they are)
shes not in the death curl or anything
That has stepped out of the bounds of my knowledge then. I hope that more knowledgeable posters will step in soon with some advice for you.:(

Gingerfish

Arachnopeon
Last edited:

Chris_Skeleton

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Many spiders complete successful upright molts. It happens all the time. Do not mess with it. At any point in time was it ever on it's back, from when you first discovered it acting weird up to now?

Gingerfish

Arachnopeon
Nope, she is still in that position in the picture which I posted this morning. She was totally lifeless til I checked earlier to see her breaking through her carapace. Her ICU unit is pretty moist and warm and she's almost halfway through anyways

CAK

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats on the molt! I know how a few of your first molts can be nerve wracking!

You will have to post pics of her when she hardens up and her new outfit fluffs out!

:)

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Wait, I just checked
She's totally molting :razz:
That explains the white eyes to me now, it was separating from the old exuvium before molting. ;) Never seen that happen with the eyes, but have read it somewhere, now that I think about it. Congratulations! :D:clap:

Gingerfish

Arachnopeon
That explains the white eyes to me now, it was separating from the old exuvium before molting. ;) Never seen that happen with the eyes, but have read it somewhere, now that I think about it. Congratulations! :D:clap:
Yeah, I haven't really noticed the eyes before but I thought it has something to do when it dies? As I honestly thought she had died on me, then remembered they curl up. But in moments like this the technicality gets forgotten and you go into mommy mode. but I definitely have not had such a stressful molt like this! {D
Oh and thank you, you were of much help but the end was pretty inevitable :)

Attachments

curiousme

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Yeah, I haven't really noticed the eyes before but I thought it has something to do when it dies? As I honestly thought she had died on me, then remembered they curl up. But in moments like this the technicality gets forgotten and you go into mommy mode. but I definitely have not had such a stressful molt like this! {D
I hadn't either and when you said its eyes had turned white, I was lost. I am glad that mystery is solved, because it sounded so puzzling! I've been known to switch into mommy mode before, it happens when you care for your pet.;)

Oh and thank you, you were of much help but the end was pretty inevitable :)
How does its abdomen looking after molting? and your are very welcome!:)

starlight_kitsune

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yay For the Molt!

I'm so glad she's okay1 And that it was just an excessively stressful pre-molt for you. :)

I totally get going into Mommy Mode. My first molt with my first tarantula I was so freaked. I was terrified SOMETHING would go wrong and she'd be injured or killed!