backyard albino possum

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, around Austin Tx. Haha, 'no dangerous animals but can have a wolf', sounded kind of funny to me. I saw some wolf hybrids for sale here, 50/50 I think. One of the puppies got loose and they were afraid to get it, it didn't seem so "not dangerous" lol. I think it just started freaking out because of all the people around though. Maybe I'll start trapping in my yard, I have a couple of nice live traps. Maybe I'll catch one and give it to somebody that is interested in breeding albino possums. I'm likely to catch a light colored one that is carrying the gene, at least I can post pics here and see what people think that know about this kind of thing, ...I'm not a big mammal person.

pouchedrat

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Honestly if it isn't an escaped pet and looks that rough, I would be careful... I could not find albinos listed in any of my exotics listings, but did find some on taxidermist sites.

Dark

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I'm a huge advocate of opossums and I am glad to see such an amazing sight. For those of you who hate opossums, I growl and hiss at your insensitivity to these marvelous creatures.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm 99% sure it's not a pet that got out. I bought this place in 96, I think my neighbor has been here since the early 80s. I saw him recently and said, "Hey, I saw a albino possum in my back yard!" He said, "Oh yeah, I've seen those nasty things." Haha, he's not a nature guy at all, it was no news to him at all, I thought his reaction was kind of strange. Kind of sounded like he's seen more than one over the years, but maybe he kept seeing the same one. But anyway, OK I'm going to start trapping them and taking a look at them, taking pics before I let them go so you guys can see if you think I catch some unusually light colored ones, what kind of bait should I use? I have traps where they step on a swiveling thing that drops a door, typical live-trap.

bunnytush

Arachnopeon
Aw, I think it's adorable! When I lived in Pennsylvania, we used to feed a stray cat out back and often times I'd peek out the back door to see her, a opossum, and a racoon eating from the same bowl as happy as ever! And this opossum was so nice, although I never tried to touch it because that's just always a bad idea, it would just stand there and watch what you were doing if you went out in the backyard. :) Opossums are great.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
A neighbor of mine used to bake gourmet cakes made of pumpkin, squash, vanilla, or cherry, and had them stored in her garage fridge. One day she goes outside to find a opossum opened the fridge and was eating a cake but had babies, so my neighbor used to feed the opossum but it got so friendly it used to wait by her back door and come in her house and eat the cat food and one day she found it in her bed with her!!!

She never got bit but after she had to refuse to let it in for her safety. I wonder if that possum is still around, I see a friendly one eating cat food outside, but generally around here people try to harm raccoons and possums so if it got too friendly it might have been trapped by someone.

I used to feed a mother raccoon that was hit by a car and one of her back feet was completely taken off and she survived without medical care (nobody helps raccoons unless its a baby), so I used to feed her cat food and the neighbors complained but I said screw you guys if there wasn't so many people this mother would have her foot and a safe place to raise her babies. Eventually her babies grew up and left but after I never saw her again. :(

bunnytush

Arachnopeon
I used to feed a mother raccoon that was hit by a car and one of her back feet was completely taken off and she survived without medical care (nobody helps raccoons unless its a baby), so I used to feed her cat food and the neighbors complained but I said screw you guys if there wasn't so many people this mother would have her foot and a safe place to raise her babies. Eventually her babies grew up and left but after I never saw her again. :(
We had a pregnant raccoon outside once eating from the cat food bowl and a month or so later, at 2 AM, I heard the bowl clatter onto the back porch from my open bedroom window, so I went down to see what was going on and there were baby raccoons everywhere, dangling from the porch, picking up cat food off the floor, and as I turned on the light and opened the door, they just stared at me and I slowly picked up the bowl, refilled it, and put it back, all while they were staring at me. I was worried their mother would come and try to attack me, but nothing happened and after I put the food bowl back with more food, they all scurried up the porch and ran over to it. It was probably one of the cutest things lol I love those little faces.

I love animals, I don't understand when people think they're a nuisance, especially raccoons and opossums. Most animals are more afraid of people, unless they have rabies.

I want to hug all the opossums and raccoons in the world, but I think that would be a bad idea even if I had the chance lol :bruised:

Spepper

Arachnodemon
I love animals, I don't understand when people think they're a nuisance, especially raccoons and opossums. Most animals are more afraid of people, unless they have rabies.
Diseases besides rabies, ticks, fleas, overpopulation, attacking people's pets. I agree 100% that opossums and raccoons have their place in the world, but sometimes they get out of control. :p

bunnytush

Arachnopeon
Diseases besides rabies, ticks, fleas, overpopulation, attacking people's pets. I agree 100% that opossums and raccoons have their place in the world, but sometimes they get out of control. :p
Well, we've always had big dogs and indoor cats, so we never had to worry about that, but I do see how having them attacking pets is a big, big problem.

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well, we've always had big dogs and indoor cats, so we never had to worry about that, but I do see how having them attacking pets is a big, big problem.
There are ways if people have outdoor cats to make a feeding area cats can get to but raccoons can't so they eat in safety without encountering eachother, because if you feed anything outside, even birds, raccoons will take advantage of any free food. My area has barely any natural food for them so I don't feel guilty feeding them its not their fault man took away natural forests and streams.

Spepper

Arachnodemon
I personally have 3 indoor/outdoor cats that love to spend the night out, and when we can't call them in at night I worry, because we've had 2 others disappear. To this day we have no idea what happened to them. We live kind of in the country, so it could be any number of things. That's why I put that in there, because a raccoon could kill a hunting dog. A cat would be no problem.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would lean more towards a coyote or fox being the culprit here. A raccoon could easily kill a cat, however they arent exactly the predator type. Unless your a crawdad. :)
I personally have 3 indoor/outdoor cats that love to spend the night out, and when we can't call them in at night I worry, because we've had 2 others disappear. To this day we have no idea what happened to them. We live kind of in the country, so it could be any number of things. That's why I put that in there, because a raccoon could kill a hunting dog. A cat would be no problem.

Spepper

Arachnodemon
I would lean more towards a coyote or fox being the culprit here. A raccoon could easily kill a cat, however they arent exactly the predator type. Unless your a crawdad. :)
Yeah, but one of our current cats isn't the smartest and is friendly towards just about anything, and if he just walked up to the wrong thing it might not turn out good. But I agree with you there. We do have foxes—no coyotes that I know of. We also have had cougars in the past. So it could be a lot of things.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yeah i understand that. Ive been around a few cats like that. What state do you live in?
Yeah, but one of our current cats isn't the smartest and is friendly towards just about anything, and if he just walked up to the wrong thing it might not turn out good. But I agree with you there. We do have foxes—no coyotes that I know of. We also have had cougars in the past. So it could be a lot of things.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Totally understandable. More than likely you have coyotes in that state. Im not positive, but i would bet they are in every state. Probably excluding hawaii.
I don't give out things like that, but I will say I live on the west coast. ;)

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I live in the city limits here but it's kind of countryish, not countryish enough for me though, I'd like to be out in the boonies and visit the city when I want. Taxes are bad here too and it's hard to grow stuff on top of bedrock. Anyway, there are coyotes here too, they are killing the cats, usually around 4am. Fox are here too. I was sitting on my back porch and one just walked up and started drinking from a thing I have on the porch, barely looked at me and growled at a cat there too. I don't have a cat or dog but a neighbor's cat likes it over here, more like strays. He likes the cats for the same reason I don't like them roaming, he doesn't like lizards and snakes, ...or any "bug" stuff. The coyotes kill the cats when the cats stop paying attention and they tend to shut the cat up when they are killing it so it's usually a quiet kill. They are bigger than I thought and nasty looking things around here.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yep sounds like the normal life of a coyote. I live smack dab in the heart of pure coyote country. There are numerous dens around, and you can hear them yipping at night time (in large numbers). I used to hunt and trap them, but havent had much time to cause of other hobbies (this one) and work. Couple things people might not know. Coyotes cannot bark like a regular dog. Also if a male dog is around, a female coyote will stand on top a hill and call to him. He will some to her, while the rest of the pack waits in ambush. Once he takes a interest to the female and he is distracted, they take him down. If there is a female dog around, a male coyote will stand on top a hill and call her up. Then he will breed with her, and the pack lets her go, or sometimes makes her one of them. Coyotes can be extremely stealthy. I have been in the middle of deep woods squirrel hunting, and had a coyote run right past me. If i had not seen him, i would have never known he was there.
I live in the city limits here but it's kind of countryish, not countryish enough for me though, I'd like to be out in the boonies and visit the city when I want. Taxes are bad here too and it's hard to grow stuff on top of bedrock. Anyway, there are coyotes here too, they are killing the cats, usually around 4am. Fox are here too. I was sitting on my back porch and one just walked up and started drinking from a thing I have on the porch, barely looked at me and growled at a cat there too. I don't have a cat or dog but a neighbor's cat likes it over here, more like strays. He likes the cats for the same reason I don't like them roaming, he doesn't like lizards and snakes, ...or any "bug" stuff. The coyotes kill the cats when the cats stop paying attention and they tend to shut the cat up when they are killing it so it's usually a quiet kill. They are bigger than I thought and nasty looking things around here.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've heard that "yipping" here, sounds kind of like a bunch of loud puppies, a little spooky in a way. Interesting about the ambush strategy. One night one was on my porch howling, real loud, so I had to get up and run it off. It didn't run and keep running, it ran about 50 feet and hid behind a tree lol. It kept looking at me from behind the tree and was making this deep, strong growl at me. They are getting used to people and sometimes ignore them, until you make a move toward them. Sometimes they rip up a deer around here which doesn't bother me at all! There are too many deer, battle between neighbors here, some like them some hatem. btw do coyotes go after possums? They play dead but it seems that's what something wanting a meal would want anyway, something dead. It seems like possums would be easy pickins, a person can grab the tails of the wild ones if they wanted, kind of slow. Easy to see that that's what they are doing around trees anyway though, to get away.

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I actually love the yipping sounds myself. Especially when its dark, and they are close by. Yeah they have gotten more used to humans in the more populated areas. Around here they are everywhere, but you hardly see them. I might see a couple a year. We used to use deer legs to bait our traps. We would hang the legs from a tree, out of reach of the yote, and have our traps below it. Worked pretty well. More than likely they would go for possums. Coyotes are predators/ambush/scavengers. So they will pretty much take what they can get. I personally wouldnt pick up a possum lol. Their jaws are designed to crush bone. They could easily crush your hand bones or forearm bone.