H Gigas swimming

HartleyD

Arachnopeon
Hi all

Was just wondering if it is usual for h Gigas to swim?

Has anyone got an enclosure set up with water for it to swim?

What sets them apart from other ts?

Can they drown?

Thanks in advance

Tweak

Arachnosquire
You might want to take a look at robc's videos on the subject on YouTube there amazing!

advan

oOOo
Staff member
What's the big deal with these swimming? I'm more interested in the arboreal ones that are 40ft up trees. ;)

Jared781

Arachnobaron
What's the big deal with these swimming? I'm more interested in the arboreal ones that are 40ft up trees. ;)
ahaha yeah i get where ya comin from... Although how can you simulate that? :p

Merfolk

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Had a H mac in a sealed tank, and kind of dropped the bucked of water in it so I ended with a 3-4'' flood. The spider went up, then retreated down and went burrowing through the floating debris. She spent almost three days clinging underneath the bigger chunks, letting only the tip of a leg out, behaving like if it was in a dry burrow. It even tried to catch a cricket I send rafting but gave up and went to the very bottom where she spent hours (didn't keep a constant watch though). The dirt had divided between floating and sinking matter so I could clearly see her in the middle layer. As it dried, she reverted to her arboreal lifestyle. She died six months later : (

Shay

Arachnopeon
bummer for the loss. i think those guys are fascinating

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
I have an H. gigas that I give her a very large water dish to swim in if she chooses. But it's only in one corner of her enclosure. It's not often that I see her swimming, but she does in the wee hours of the morning. It's quite the site to behold. :)

Jared781

Arachnobaron
Thats smart.. i never thought of jus getting him.her a pool! :p

I have an H. gigas that I give her a very large water dish to swim in if she chooses. But it's only in one corner of her enclosure. It's not often that I see her swimming, but she does in the wee hours of the morning. It's quite the site to behold. :)