This may be an obvious question....

brindle

Arachnopeon
Ok...next week I am getting my G. aureostriata from a local dealer (Botar by Eights) and I am going to his house to pick my tarantula out (he has several in stock).

What do you look for when picking out a one inch sling?

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Smaller w/ shorter legs could indicate a female. That is by no means a hard and fast rule but if one looks leggy and another doesn't, get the non-leggy one. I'm sure he can also answer any questions you have. I'd imagine Botar knows a thing or two about arachnids.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Smaller w/ shorter legs could indicate a female. That is by no means a hard and fast rule but if one looks leggy and another doesn't, get the non-leggy one. I'm sure he can also answer any questions you have. I'd imagine Botar knows a thing or two about arachnids.
I'm pretty sure you're not gonna be able to use that in identifying gender in 1" slings. The only way you will have a remote chance to figure out gender with such a small sling is with an exivium and microscope.

Botar is a well-known and excellent dealer, so you don't have to worry about any unheathly specimens, but if you're looking to get a female, buy more then one sling or buy the smaller ones. Your chances will be greater.

brindle

Arachnopeon
Thanks. I just wasn't sure if there was anything special I needed to look for. :D

And as far as gender, I know I have a 50/50 shot. I'll try buying a sexed spider for my next one (I want one terrestrial and one arboreal [likely a pink toe of some sort] and maybe one OW if I feel brave:razz:. I like observing different behaviors.), but I don't think having a male over a female would bother me much to be honest. :)

You guys have been a big help on this board.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Paul, you don't think that at 1"+/- the males would be a little bigger? I know it's not even a remotely accurate method of sexing but still... If i'm looking at a whole bunch of slings i'd figure the slower growing ones are more likely to be fems. Of course i could be just advertising my ignorance here...

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Look for the one that's done the most creative landscaping. {D That's my favorite behavior in this species, anyway.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Paul, you don't think that at 1"+/- the males would be a little bigger? I know it's not even a remotely accurate method of sexing but still... If i'm looking at a whole bunch of slings i'd figure the slower growing ones are more likely to be fems. Of course i could be just advertising my ignorance here...
Yea you're on the right track, but I believe 1" is too small to distinguish that. I say you start noticing size differences at 2"(+/- a little bit). Also, there are too many variables affecting the growth rate of a T, so you can't really nail it down to size. Sometimes you get lucky by picking the smallest ones.

Last edited:

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Botar picked out a G. pulchra for me.. the smallest one (less than a fourth of an inch) back in 2003. Now its a big fat GIRL :D so I say pick the smallest one.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Botar picked out a G. pulchra for me.. the smallest one (less than a fourth of an inch) back in 2003. Now its a big fat GIRL :D so I say pick the smallest one.
Were you small with short legs when you were a baby? LMAO:D

Widowman10

Arachno WIDOW
Old Timer
yeah, there might be method to the madness of "a little bigger and leggier". not a fool-proof by any means, and like paul said, it might be a *little* early, but sometimes that method works. i would just say to buy a few and you'll probably get lucky. good luck!

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Last time I saw OldHag she was pretty leggy lookin' too!! You dont reckon she could be a crossdresser do you? :D

stonemantis

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ok...next week I am getting my G. aureostriata from a local dealer (Botar by Eights) and I am going to his house to pick my tarantula out (he has several in stock).

What do you look for when picking out a one inch sling?
I would personally ask him which one he would recommend. I'm sure he'll be more than glad to help you pick one out.

OldHag

ArachnoHag
Old Timer
Last time I saw OldHag she was pretty leggy lookin' too!! You dont reckon she could be a crossdresser do you? :D
THAT, my dear Brian, is something you'll forever have to wonder about. ;)

Bear Foot Inc

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
but I don't think having a male over a female would bother me much to be honest. :)

Just wanted to add that if your not breeding or anything it might not bother you, but once they hit adult and your prized little sling turns out to be male you only got a few months left with him before he dies... so even for a pet females are better.

brindle

Arachnopeon
Very true.

Though, as my first spider, it will be a bit of test run, really. I meant that though I would be slightly depressed if it ended up being a male, but I could deal with it. Unfortunately I like a great deal of short lived pets (rats, bettas, some other fish species) and a male would just be another one of those.

I think the next guys I will purchase sexed females, simply because they will be pets over anything else.

I do wish I have self control though. I look through the different species..I just need to stop looking (there's already a list of them I want). {D But I think an A. versicolor will be number two--in a few months.

christin

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very true.

Though, as my first spider, it will be a bit of test run, really. I meant that though I would be slightly depressed if it ended up being a male, but I could deal with it. Unfortunately I like a great deal of short lived pets (rats, bettas, some other fish species) and a male would just be another one of those.

I think the next guys I will purchase sexed females, simply because they will be pets over anything else.

I do wish I have self control though. I look through the different species..I just need to stop looking (there's already a list of them I want). {D But I think an A. versicolor will be number two--in a few months.
You sound like me, I think I said that back in may. Lol! fast forward five months and you'll have 20 tarantulas, and debating on buying yet another bookshelf to display all your lovelys. Yes, a wish list with the "must have's" and the "maybe's" is a good idea. Don't deviate from your list (too much) another good idea is to set a limit on the number of T's that you want at any given time...mine is 20, thats about 2 hours of upkeeping a week, for me anyway. Wow, I'm chatty this morning!