Some practical questions..

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Although I probably could have searched, I am absolutley rubbish with that, couldn't find me arse with both hands and a flashlight..

Anyways! I am getting some babies in, and I just have some stuff I'm wondering.

I got a H.Lividum freebie, and I know they're burrowers. It's a tiny sling, under one inch. I was thinking I might house it in a vial type thing, with lots of substrate, so it has room for burrowing. I don't know how much room it would need for strolling around? Also, how's the humidity for these little toots?

Then, there's a juvie P.Irminia. These are arboreal, are they not? What kind of humidity does it require?

THEN there's the GBB, FINALLY! But I've heard loads of different things on this one, so if you can just tell me how you keep yours, I'd be very grateful.

And then there's the C. Darlingi. Also a tiny toot, but these are just "normal" terrestrials, are they not? How about humidity?

Again, I would have searched, but I am so rubbish at formulating searches I always end up with something completly different than what I need. Links to other threads similar to this one is welcomed too, just don't go all "use the search function" on me. I'm a search retard.. :D

belljar77

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Congratulations on your new critters! How exciting! I have an irminia sling, as it's a young 'un I lightly mist it's little cube about twice a week. And my juvie GBB seems pretty content in a small KK with a slab of cork bark leaning against the side. LOTS of webbing up at the top. Don't know if that's any help, but good luck!

evicton

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Grats on your new slings, your H. Lividum will not really stroll, there called pet holes for a reason lol. Its a major event for me if I see a leg at the top of mines burrow. Room to burrow is more important then room to walk around.

Also one thing to note is P. Irminia's at the sling stage will generally stick more to the ground then say avics. Mine has webbed up the entire bottom of his container with webbing and dirt looks cool.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thankies :D

The irminia and the GBB are juvies, around the 7-8cm mark. I've heard some irminias stay terrestrial their entire life, so I've bought a box thingie I can easily convert back and forth.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Alright... :) (preemptive smiley ;))

As stated, the H. lividum will be a pet hole, sling through adult. While they don't need room to stroll, they will still most likely come out at night and walk around if there is room.

P. irminia could be housed in an arboreal setup even at that size (setup still scaled to their size, though). What they (and P. cambridgei) tend to do is use the substrate to help build their web structure. Whether you set it up arboreal or not, it will still be fine. I tend to let my P. cam substrate dry out, then re-mist them till they're moist.

The C. cyaneopubescens can be set up at that size just as you would an adult - dry substrate, dry moss, fake leaves, etc., and a water dish. They have a great feeding response, if you haven't already seen it. :)

I can't really tell you about the C. darlingi - I've never owned one.

Lastly - (here's the constructive criticism ;)) - species names aren't capitalized unless you begin the sentence with them.

Grats on the new spiders. :)

--Joe

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thanks joe!! Lol, I never really though of the capitalising , thanks for the heads up though =p

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I keep my P. irminia arboreal.. All 3 of them.. One of them just molted to 1".. The middle sized one is 2"-2.5".. My larger female is 4.5"-5".. They do exactly what Joe has said.. I keep my enclosures the same as Joe..
They are fast growers.. Great eaters.. You will love it..

The C. darlingi.. I keep mine with nothing but dry deep substrate.. They will burrow.. Well two of mine have.. My sling that is 2" burrowed & so did one of my mature females.. Mine dont eat alot.. But they are gorgeous!

Never owned a GBB or H. lividum..

Congrats on the new critters.. :)

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Although I probably could have searched, I am absolutley rubbish with that, couldn't find me arse with both hands and a flashlight..

You need a mirror too for that...

Everything you've been told looks good to me, I can add some info about the C. darlingi though.

You can basically set them up as a burrower when they're little. They like it on the dry side but not death valley dry like GBB's do so mist a bit every so often. If you put them in a tall enclosure filled 1/2-2/3 with substrate they'll do some really neat burrowing, eventually rearranging pretty much every speck of substrate in the enclosure and building up until they hit the roof. Good luck keeping a water dish in there. I gave up and just provide water by misting because they constantly flip and/or bury it.

Ceratogyrus is a really awesome genus and I'm glad to see more and more people keeping them, especially CB slings.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Thank you so much! I've set up a nice little arboreal place for the irminia, and the GBB( do I use capitals here or not?=p) is getting a similar box when my paycheck comes in, for now it's in the smallest breeding box from exo terra.. I've gotten some little boxes I can have enough sub for burrowing but also some for strolling, if they'd like it, as I couldn't find a satisfactory vile thingie. So hopefully the smallest babies will be happy in there =)

Thanks again for all your advice!

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
By the way! Approx when will the darlingi start to "horn out"(lol, that sounded more pervy than I planned) ? Like, at what approx size did yours start?

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
By the way! Approx when will the darlingi start to "horn out"(lol, that sounded more pervy than I planned) ? Like, at what approx size did yours start?
From what I can see on mine.. Its 2" and has a slight nub for a horn..

If I am not mistaken.. When they get larger.. Only the females get the horn..
I think I have read that somewhere.. But.. I cant remember where I read it..
I know I read it here.. But I cant seem to find it..

Kirsten

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
From what I can see on mine.. Its 2" and has a slight nub for a horn..

If I am not mistaken.. When they get larger.. Only the females get the horn..
I think I have read that somewhere.. But.. I cant remember where I read it..
I know I read it here.. But I cant seem to find it..
I read that recently as well.

smallara98

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The irminia's are great! I had one, and it was about 3.5-4in! Female from what I saw! I have always wanted a GBB! they web so coll :) Anyways... I keep the irminia's in arboreal set ups with leaves, soil (moist) and a log or branch! They are good display ts, cause they dont web so much!

And for the H. lividum, I keep it in a enclosure with 5in+ of moist substrate, and they will (guaranteed!) be a pet hole. Hope this helps :)

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, now I'm curious as to wether or not the same apply to the darlingi.. Research time!