misting system for T. Blondi

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
thinking of creating a misting system to keep the humidity up. i don't want to use a plastic sheet due to risk of creating mold. any suggestions?

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
A misting system could be interesting but you'd have to be very very careful. Blondi's need high humidity but they are not amphibians. Too wet is just as bad as too dry. Getting an accurate humidity gauge and using a large tray of water should be enough to maintain proper humidity as long as you aren't using a screen cover.

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i am using a screen cover, to prevent her getting out, cats from getting in. i know they need roughly 80-90% humidity, i have a humidity and temp gauge. a large tray would be a good idea, but i don't want to eliminate floor space.

Bigboy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
with a screen cover you'll need to constantly saturate the soil to maintain humidity and that will kill the tarantula. Consider taping up the screen and leaving only 15-25% of it open for air flow.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Misting constantly will bother your tarantula too much.

If you are using screen lids just tape the edges of the screen lid so if she decides to climb she wont get a hold of the screen with the tarsi claws ;).

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
I have a water fall in my t stirmi enclosure in helps keep the humidty up and looks cool

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a water fall in my t stirmi enclosure in helps keep the humidty up and looks cool
do you just have a regular screen lid? what does the humidity level stay at?

---------- Post added 01-22-2012 at 05:24 PM ----------

with a screen cover you'll need to constantly saturate the soil to maintain humidity and that will kill the tarantula. Consider taping up the screen and leaving only 15-25% of it open for air flow.
tried that, and it created a mold problem

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Humidity is a balancing act between ventilation, amount of water within the enclosure, temperature, and the ambient humidity. In my experience, a screen top is way too much ventilation for any species that needs even moderate humidity unless the ambient humidity is already quite high (not often the case indoors). I concur with Bigboy, and suggest that you cover most of the screen with plastic wrap or plexiglas. Moistening part of the soil and keeping a large water dish should keep the humidity levels at an adequate level if most of the screen is blocked off. If you're getting mold, reduce the amount of moisture in the soil. It'll take a bit of trial and error to find the perfect settings, but it's not too difficult.

arachnofitz

Arachnosquire
what about mixing perlites in the substrate?? does that help humidity and moisture??

aquaArachnid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
right now, i've been stirring up the cocoa peat so it will keep absorbing moisture every time i spray. but there's no luck keeping it at a steady percentage.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
To the OP:

I use a normal screen cover for my gal. But to keep humidity in I have her on a shelf that leaves maybe 2 inches of opening between the top of the terrarium and the shelf over head. I pour water onto one side of the enclosure making sure the underneath substrate is wet. Then I don't need to do it again for another week sometimes 2 weeks. The shelf over head keeps an ambient humidity around the terrarium. I don't have any problems with this set up.

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
Its a screen lid about 3/4 tapped off with cross ventalation as well I do mosten the sub when the humidity gets below 80 every 2 weeks or so but have had no mold problems and I use peat for a sub
do you just have a regular screen lid? what does the humidity level stay at?

---------- Post added 01-22-2012 at 05:24 PM ----------

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
could you post a pic of that setup?
Once I get home from work I'll get you a picture. :)
It's nothing fancy and didn't cost a penny.
Haha my gal's name is Penny too. :p

But I'll be sure to get that to you asap.

Whoops, also forgot to mention, I use eco-earth and spagnum moss mixed as a sub.

Last edited:

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
This is basically what I have done. And actually there's maybe only an inch gap from the top of the lid to the overhead shelf.

Btw I know it looks like there's not enough dirt but what she has done is packed it all inside her hide. So I need to redo her tank.

Using Tapatalk on my iPhone 4S.

Fran

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
That tank doesnt look humid enought for Theraphosa (talking from personal experience). You should use very moist substrate, more of it and a larger water bowl.

Beardo

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
For the most part, aquariums and screen lids when keeping high humidity species are more trouble than they are worth.....look into getting a plastic or acrylic enclosure for your spider. In the long & short run, you save yourself effort and possible health issues for your spider. If you don't feel that you spider deserves the best possible environment, let someone else give it that opportunity. :)

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
For the most part, aquariums and screen lids when keeping high humidity species are more trouble than they are worth.....look into getting a plastic or acrylic enclosure for your spider. In the long & short run, you save yourself effort and possible health issues for your spider. If you don't feel that you spider deserves the best possible environment, let someone else give it that opportunity. :)
As I've said I need to redo the tank. The humidity stays at about 80-85 with in the shelf and my heated t room. After it dries out more, as I've stated, I moisten it again. And there are two water bowls in there. You just can't see the other one because she recently buried it. If you don't believe me I can go ahead and take some more pictures for you all.

InvertFix

Arachnobaron
Here we go. I just had a little time to do it. And here's her water dish. About the size of her. :)