Are C. sp.Blue and L. violaceopes the same thing?

tjmi2000

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I see both of these names used in reference to Singapore Blues and in spite of searching quite a bit I haven't found the answer. So my question is: Are Cyriopagopus sp. Blue and Lampropelma violaceopes synonyms for the same species or are they seperate species that have been given the same common name?

tjmi2000

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Well actually, I found most of the threads referenced in your responses but it seems to me that the answer is still elusive. Some say they are the same some say they aren't. From what I can gather there appears to be two species being called Singapore Blue but the most common in the hobby is infact, L. violaceopes and I appreciate the snide remarks even though they really weren't helpful at all.

Last edited:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Ok, so the most recent threads weren't helpful to you, so you posted a new thread in hopes that something may have changed from 5 days ago?

Hmm...

And my vote is yes, they are the same thing.

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So ere is the thing I just posted the first few I saw but there are some that go back even before those. there are several common names and scientific names for this species and what you will notice when you go back through the threads is that any time you ask "are these two the same you will get references that may sayboth ways. There are often people on the boards that like to talk but do not have the real answer. The real answer is something you may have to decide by looking at who is giving what answers.

moose35

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i don't know why people have to jump down peoples throats since they have no clue themselves...:?

:worship: it makes you guys look like fools:worship:

ok on topic

this name can be confusing because

Lampropelma violaceopes is NOW what we call the singapore blue.
there is another spider that was called Lampropelma violaceopes.
it is now called either haplopelma sp. robustum or Ornithoctoninae G sp."Haplopelma robustum" which looks like...

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well actually, I found most of the threads referenced in your responses but it seems to me that the answer is still elusive. Some say they are the same some say they aren't. From what I can gather there appears to be two species being called Singapore Blue but the most common in the hobby is infact, L. violaceopes and I appreciate the snide remarks even though they really weren't helpful at all.
lol, I don't even know what to say. Did you look at the world spider catalog? :?

lithiumflower9

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Moose is right. I ordered a 'Singapore blue' and got a Singapore violet (which he has a specimen pictured above). Even if some one is using seemingly the correct term and you are ordering I would urge you to ask the dealer if they know for certain it is a singapore blue or ask for a picture of the spider its self. If you are unsure how to idenify the T post the picture in the identification section and I'm sure some one would gladly help.

tjmi2000

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thank you Moose35. Very, very helpful. I did miss the thread from "five days ago" or I obviously wouldn't have posted the question. I actually spend more of my time taking care of my animals than I do policing Arachnoboards. I think a lot of people are scared to ask questions here because of the "search police." I can assure everyone that I am not interested in starting a flame war but if people don't ask questions this site will eventually wither and die. I believe that very nearly every question someone could think of could be answered by searching but then what is the real point of this site-- I thought it was for exchange of ideas among the more and the less experienced in this hobby. If live debate is not needed or wanted then the moderators should sticky everything and close the forum for new threads.

Protectyaaaneck

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I never said you should search, I told that to the person who posted the thread before yours with the same question. I thought I was being nice in supplying you with the information from that thread...

Which answered your question fully. IMO. I guess you could say I prefer less typing and more reading.

"search police"

I think I might add that in my sig. lol :)

tjmi2000

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My retort was not directed at you personally Proteckyaaaneck--more a general observation of the boards lately. It just seems that some members carry a holier than thou attitude which is neither constructive nor conducive to the existence of this site. While I am certainly not a noop when it comes to keeping arachnids, I did take an extended hiatus from the hobby but this site has lured me back hook, line, and sinker. The hobby certainly has changed from the 'good ol days' when Suntigers and B. vagans were the latest and greatest.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I can assure everyone that I am not interested in starting a flame war but if people don't ask questions this site will eventually wither and die. I believe that very nearly every question someone could think of could be answered by searching but then what is the real point of this site--.
This is gonna be fun. :)

Oh, and btw Jason, I think I'm gonna borrow that line for my sig, too. Can you send me the code? ;)

tjmi2k - If you ran a search for pretty much what you just said, you will find this has already been discussed many times before.

I will, however, take more of my time to give you the 'run down' as to why your couple sentence quoted above are not true.

If people would stop asking the stupid (or repeat, take your pick) questions, then the discussion forum's front page would be full of threads that are actually semi important or require more brainpower and discussion than 'why won't my rosie eat?' or 'does this look like premolt?' or any other similar threads.

This would lead to more intelligent conversation and people learning tons more than seeing the same five or ten questions asked over and over again.

There is also no way possible that every question has been asked. I continually think of things that I have never seen covered on AB (that doesn't mean they have never been addressed before), but you get my point. Keep your eye on the boards, you'll see. That is, if you aren't bombarded by all the 'noop' :? questions.

And as far as your missing the recent thread about this exact same thing...if you had taken the time to search and find it, it probably would have taken less of it than it would have to start your new thread and post your replies thus far. So saying you would rather spend time with your arachnids is another statement that really makes no sense.

Learning how to use this forum and its tools is just as valuable as learning about the arachnids you and I both love. Something everyone on these boards has in common, even if that's the only thing.

I believe your question has been answered and there is no more reason to post on this thread. Of course, I expect you will respond to me, which is fine. :) However, based on what you said, shouldn't the mods lock this thread down now that your question has been answered? :?

(obligatory smileys so people don't think I'm being mean):

:) :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;) :} {D

--Joe

Sathane

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Agreed 100%. It's also a respect issue - respect for other people's time. Just as much as you like to spend time with your arachnids, tjmi2000, we would also prefer to spend more time with our arachnids than have to revisit the same stuff over and over again.

The internet is a wealth of information. You are not confined to ArachnoBoards for all information concerning arachnids. If there are any questions concerning taxonomy or proper binomial nomenclature, there is a tool called the World Spider Catalog. If you had searched for the information in the first place you would have noticed this mentioned in more than a few of the results and would have then been able to add another tool to the arsenal of things you can neglect to use in the pursuit of knowledge.

It boggles the mind really, that some people choose to argue AGAINST common-sense. I'm amazed that some people can get themselves dressed in the morning without asking for directions.

This is gonna be fun. :)

Oh, and btw Jason, I think I'm gonna borrow that line for my sig, too. Can you send me the code? ;)

tjmi2k - If you ran a search for pretty much what you just said, you will find this has already been discussed many times before.

I will, however, take more of my time to give you the 'run down' as to why your couple sentence quoted above are not true.

If people would stop asking the stupid (or repeat, take your pick) questions, then the discussion forum's front page would be full of threads that are actually semi important or require more brainpower and discussion than 'why won't my rosie eat?' or 'does this look like premolt?' or any other similar threads.

This would lead to more intelligent conversation and people learning tons more than seeing the same five or ten questions asked over and over again.

There is also no way possible that every question has been asked. I continually think of things that I have never seen covered on AB (that doesn't mean they have never been addressed before), but you get my point. Keep your eye on the boards, you'll see. That is, if you aren't bombarded by all the 'noop' :? questions.

And as far as your missing the recent thread about this exact same thing...if you had taken the time to search and find it, it probably would have taken less of it than it would have to start your new thread and post your replies thus far. So saying you would rather spend time with your arachnids is another statement that really makes no sense.

Learning how to use this forum and its tools is just as valuable as learning about the arachnids you and I both love. Something everyone on these boards has in common, even if that's the only thing.

I believe your question has been answered and there is no more reason to post on this thread. Of course, I expect you will respond to me, which is fine. :) However, based on what you said, shouldn't the mods lock this thread down now that your question has been answered? :?

(obligatory smileys so people don't think I'm being mean):

:) :rolleyes: :cool: :p ;) :} {D

--Joe