L. Parahybana Premolt

kylecchh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
My 5" L. Parahybana has been refusing food since 11/12/08, acts extremely lethargic and yesterday decided to expand her burrow and seal herself in it. But still shows no abdomen darkening. I keep her temps at 78F and the humidity at around 60-70%. Is this premolt? If it is, how long will it possibly take for her to begin to molt? I really miss feeding her!

Thanks,
Kyle

Last edited:

DreadLobster

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
How big is she? If she's big then 2 months is not a long time at all, at least not long enough that you should worry.

Also, does she have a bald spot on her but? Cause if she doesn't have one, and still has all her hair, its kinda hard to tell with LP's if they're getting any darker, seeing as they're already almost black.

With LP's the refusal of food and hiding is definitely THE sign of pre-molt. And like the other person said, if you can even see it at all, the darkening won't happen till its almost time.

Arachtis

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
With a T that size there is really no way to tell, if could be two weeks, or it could be two months.

Goomba

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My 5-6" inch LP last molted in July of '08. Her butt's been almost entirely bald for the last 3 months or so, and no darkening. She still eats a few crickets at a time, and her abdomen is MASSIVE. I can't wait!

T_DORKUS

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It'll happen when it happens. My LP is around the same size and stopped eating in November too. I used to buy slings when all my T's are in pre-molt. I just crossed the 50 mark. When I think of all the 10 gal tanks I'm gonna need, THAT stopped my impulse buying. Now instead of buying more T's, I've started building my own acrylic tanks just to keep busy. That's my advice to you- stay busy! It'll help pass the time until they molt.

kylecchh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
It'll happen when it happens. My LP is around the same size and stopped eating in November too. I used to buy slings when all my T's are in pre-molt. I just crossed the 50 mark. When I think of all the 10 gal tanks I'm gonna need, THAT stopped my impulse buying. Now instead of buying more T's, I've started building my own acrylic tanks just to keep busy. That's my advice to you- stay busy! It'll help pass the time until they molt.
True on that :) Thinking about purchasing an OBT sling soon.
Kyle

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Premolt? Not long at all. HA!

I have a 2" beastie and it's been in premolt for 4 months now. It won't accept food, and it looks like a grape. I'm tired of waiting! I want to see more crickets massacred, NOW! :wall:

Here's a pic.

On a different note, my GBB 1.5" molted finally, after a 3 month wait. o_O;

They have to... eventually... I don't think they really care about our schedules. They prefer their own.

Last edited:

kylecchh

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have a 2" beastie and it's been in premolt for 4 months now. It won't accept food, and it looks like a grape. I'm tired of waiting! I want to see more crickets massacred, NOW! :wall:

Here's a pic.

On a different note, my GBB 1.5" molted finally, after a 3 month wait. o_O;

They have to... eventually... I don't think they really care about our schedules. They prefer their own.
FOUR months? I couldn't wait that long... lol

Dutcharachno

Arachnopeon
Be patient my LP was about the same size , when its abdomen started to get black it took about another 6 weeks till it molted.