Tarantula 'Personality'

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
A few questions regarding tarantula personalities. We all think, well most of us, that our tarantulas have some sort of personality. They're friendly, or mean, or whatever other adjective you'd describe the way your T acts.

The new rosea I got is friendly, and recently I found out, an avid hunter. (Video coming soon)

And I'm wondering, how much of this personality does a tarantula actually keep, molt after molt? Do they change? Can my bold, friendly rosea go shy and sour on me eventually?

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
The more you work with a particular tarantula, you get a better idea of its behavior. As it grows, you'll usually see it change, but really, once its an adult, the behavior usually stays about the same, (as long as keeping conditions remain the same as well). Things like stress, dehydration, or others can cause changes in behavior.

-Sean

Talkenlate04

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I dont know that I would put Ts in a category of something that has personality. After all they are only reacting to the things that happen around them.
I think we see behaviors that are cute, and things they do that are funny, and there are the mean ones that are supposed to be nice, ect. But all that is, is Ts being Ts.
I guess it can be labeled that, but its not something thats going to stay a constant. Its not like you can teach it. Everything it does is out of instinct.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Snap. So that means my mature female G. rosea will forever be mean. V_V

Staley

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My Avic Avic has a .."<edit> it On you Attitude" as my mother would say LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've always wondered if feeding a spider larger prey items would make it more agressive

Guess it's time to experiment ;)

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've always wondered if feeding a spider larger prey items would make it more agressive

Guess it's time to experiment ;)
I have never thought of that, but that does sound plausible and like a very good experiment. I think you would need a couple of the same species of slings to try this.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i think most will agree, if its a rosea then personality will usually change some times from week to week.

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
My little Rosea was lovely and a pleasure to handle until she moulted out at about 1.5", then she turned into a complete badass. I've spoken to other owners who have raised chilies from slings and there seems to be a pattern of going through what is almost like a teenage stroppy period at 1.5"-3" and then they seem to mellow out again.

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I think we see behaviors that are cute, and things they do that are funny, and there are the mean ones that are supposed to be nice, ect. But all that is, is Ts being Ts.
Yes, that would be anthropomorphizing. But I do believe tarantulas have a behavioural pattern they follow. Their reactions to particular stimuli that remain the same. This is why I believe we can 'usually' group species in categories of behavior. (B. albo usually calm, H. longipes usually extremely defensive). Due to instinctual behavior. But changes in keeping conditions can change this behavior.

-Sean

mrbonzai211

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Honestly the only tarantulas I have observed a personality in is G. roseas. They are weird quirky little guys. All my other t's are predictable and boring.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
My rosea freaked today. I opened the container to refill the water dish and clean it out. And she OBT teleported to my finger and snatched on, bit in, and hit my nail, then immediately bounced back 3 inches and stood there... well... in 'ready to pounce on stuff mode'. I'm lucky I suppose.

I thought, and was under the impression that she's friendly and nice. Cause well, she's easy to handle and doesn't kick hairs. She did that today, kicking hairs. I was trying to get her to move, and she kicked a few at the chop sticks I use to gather up little bits of left over food.

So yeah... they do change from time to time... But I'm worried I'm doing something wrong and that all my Ts will be 'badass'. My other mature rosea is mean too, very mean. She's nervous and skittish. I open the lid, and she's like, BAM into the hide I go. And doesn't come out for awhile. By awhile I mean a day.

Unpredictable. Like many have said.

Feeding flies, what's people's opinion on this? At least to the smaller Ts?

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Honestly the only tarantulas I have observed a personality in is G. roseas. They are weird quirky little guys. All my other t's are predictable and boring.
yes i say the same a lot of - t - are boring and a lot of g- roseas are MAD NUTTERS but they can be fun to :D {D :rolleyes: ;) ---- phil

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Cheshire, suppose this is worth mentioning about the aggression. When I first got my rosea 'Lydia', the mature female, I gave her a plastic log hide. It had two entrances, and I closed one off by burying it. This was the result.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/dukegarda/DSCN4248.jpg

I got an overly aggressive rosea. So I scrapped that and changed it to the log being on top of the substrate and she eased up significantly.

Of course, this wasn't a true experiment. She was in premolt stage, and there are way too many variables out of my control. Temp, humidity were kept the same.

I think giving them a hide with only one exit/entrance makes them much much more aggressive. I don't know if this would help with hunting?

Stylopidae

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oooh...bark chips. Not good. Change to coco coir or something similar.

It's known that changes in the way spiders are kept can cause spiders to be more defensive or more passive. The spider becoming less defensive when the log is put in a slightly different position does not surprise me at all. I've observed the same thing with my other spiders, my G. aureostriata in particular.

However, I'm wondering if the spider's personality would change if it had to 'battle' it's prey to eat. Like If I were to feed a 5" rosie a diet comprised entirely of adult discoids.

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Oh, that's my old set up, before I stumbled upon this golden forum of information.

Right now it's a potting soil mix. =D

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
My rosea freaked today.
I have no first hand experience with this but have read here many times how those quirky rosea's can be oddly possesive specifically concerning water dishes:?

Within my experience, I've had many T's exibit similar behavior that seems to be attributable to a feeding response. When the lid opens it often means whatever lands in the enclosure is food. Once they 'realize' (after the initial pounce) that this isn't the case they may still be upset about the intrusion but calm down considerably.
As I'm feeding a few, a number of others will start coming out of the woodwork and sit waiting in the spot where the food usually lands. I know many feel that T's can't 'learn' but I completely disagree. You can call it 'conditioned response', 'geneticly hardwired' or whatever you want, it still boils down to the same thing. T's do 'learn' from events and can be (purposefuly or not) conditioned to some degree to respond in a particular way.
They as well can condition us to respond in a certain way...:)

Bill

ShadowBlade

Planeswalker
Old Timer
I know many feel that T's can't 'learn' but I completely disagree. You can call it 'conditioned response', 'geneticly hardwired' or whatever you want, it still boils down to the same thing. T's do 'learn' from events and can be (purposefuly or not) conditioned to some degree to respond in a particular way.
I'm sorry, but it doesn't boil down to the same thing. The whole point IS the difference between 'adaption' or 'conditioning' and 'learning'. It only gets more complicated trying to simplify terms like these.

-Sean

dukegarda

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Dictionary.com says;

"learn /lɜrn/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lurn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation verb, learned /lɜrnd/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[lurnd] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation or learnt, learn·ing.
–verb (used with object)
1. to acquire knowledge of or skill in by study, instruction, or experience: to learn French; to learn to ski.
2. to become informed of or acquainted with; ascertain: to learn the truth.
3. to memorize: He learned the poem so he could recite it at the dinner.
4. to gain (a habit, mannerism, etc.) by experience, exposure to example, or the like; acquire: She learned patience from her father.
5. (of a device or machine, esp. a computer) to perform an analogue of human learning with artificial intelligence.
6. Nonstandard. to instruct in; teach.
–verb (used without object)
7. to acquire knowledge or skill: to learn rapidly.
8. to become informed (usually fol. by of): to learn of an accident."

I'm pretty sure they can't learn.

-EDIT- Otherwise I'd be teaching my Ts to write my finals for me.

billopelma

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Sorry this is getting off track to the thread but since the OP has chimed in...

4. to gain (a habit, mannerism, etc.) by experience, exposure to example, or the like; acquire: She learned patience from her father.
This definition could easily be applied to what I'm refering to.

The whole point IS the difference between 'adaption' or 'conditioning' and 'learning'.
I still say call it whatever you want, but when I repeatedly apply an experience/stimulus to the T and it 'adapts' to the 'conditioning' and this 'adaption' becomes 'aquired', I think the term 'learned' can be applicable.

Bill