T feet

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I have been handling both OW and NW species. One thing I noticed is that the NW T feet hurt my skin more than the OW T feet.

It's like when the NW T's crawl on my hands/arms, it feels like I'm getting scratched by tiny needles. When the OW T's crawl on my hands/arms, it feels soft. Think of it like the difference b/w a cat crawling on you with their claws out vs. with their claws tucked in.

Does anyone notice this as well? Or should I try more species (examples?)?

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Interesting which Ts in particular do you notice this with because Im wondering if it is an arboreal vs non arboreal thing instead of a OW vs NW thing. I only handle a few of my Ts but they are mostly arboreal and I dont notice ant scratching. When I do handle my non arboreal they do tend to dig in a little more.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ceratogyrus darlingi isn't an arboreal. Maybe it's something to do with certain species. But why? what? how?

Richard McJimsey

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Well, here's a pic of a P.murinus foot.
Not a Ceratogyrus sp, but it is in the Harpactirinae subfamily, so it's probably similar in structure.
I'll try to get pics of a rosea foot later.

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
OMFG! The pics are so cool. What magnification is that? I'm thinking of getting a Telephoto len and need to know how much magnification I need.

Back to the topic, I think the mushroom like structure that surround the hooks are what made the feet soft.

billy28

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have been handling both OW and NW species. One thing I noticed is that the NW T feet hurt my skin more than the OW T feet.

It's like when the NW T's crawl on my hands/arms, it feels like I'm getting scratched by tiny needles. When the OW T's crawl on my hands/arms, it feels soft. Think of it like the difference b/w a cat crawling on you with their claws out vs. with their claws tucked in.

Does anyone notice this as well? Or should I try more species (examples?)?
I have the same problem:eek: .

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ceratogyrus darlingi isn't an arboreal.
I'd like to point out you never mentioned Ceratogyrus darlingi in the original post. Does Ceratogyrus darlingi burrow I notice by your profile you have had several genus which did you notice the most scratching with please list genus not just NW or OW? Also witch had very little Scratching. Ill go let a few of mine walk on me and see what I come up with. I like the idea of specific Genus causing more scratching then others. Also I wonder if Ts that are more pron to burrowing would be more likely to scratch because they are equipped for burrowing?

testdasi

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Examples:
scratching T's: genic, GBB, rosie, L. difficilis
not scratching: regalis, C. darlingi, H. gigas, Phlogius sp. Stents

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
rick...those pics are far from crappy....im blown away by how close they are....wish i could get pics like that....my camera just dont cut it i guess....

biomarine2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
During T Blondi Molt

I took this yesterday during my 1 and a half inch blondi molting. Check out the feet.

Last edited:

gumby

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
So here is the list of Ts I held yesterday. Many of my Ts are uunder 1.5" so they may not be noticably scratchy. Also I dont have any OW Ts I only keep NW right now. I will mark the T with an (S) if scratchy or an (N) if it was not.

(N)Aphonopelma chalcodes .5" unsexed
(N)Aphonopelma sp. new river .5" unsexed
(N)Avicularia avicularia 3" unsexed
(N)Avicularia biceogi .75" unsexed
(N)Avicularia fasciculata 1.5" unsexed
(N)Avicularia purpurea .75" unsexed
(S)Brachypelma smithi 3.25" female
(N)Brachypelma smithi .5" unsexed
(N)Brachypelma emilia .5" unsexed
(N)Cyclosternum fasciatum .5" unsexed
(N)Cyclosternum fasciatum .75" unsexed
(S)Cyclosternum fasciatum 2.5" females
(S)Cyclosternum fasciatum 4" females
(N)Grammostola rosea 1.5" unsexed
(N)Holothele sp tachira 2" MM
(S)Lasiodora parahybana 6.5" MM
(S)Nhandu chromatus 7" female

I dont know if it is of any worth but from what I felt the larger the T the more scratch. I havnt ever felt like I was being scratched while having an avic of any sive on me. I have had several over the past years many of them were over the 3" mark.