Introduce Yourself

longwing

Arachnopeon
Hi, my name is Buzz. I've always been interested in all animals (apart from the apes) but only had a lot to do with spiders for the last 4 years. I lived in Glasgow until June this year and there I was the head keeper of the animals at the university's zoology museum - most of these were inverts and we had a handful of tarantulas and scorpions. I got used to looking after them and studying their behaviour there before coming over here. Now I'm in Christchurch in New Zealand and I'm doing my MSci in zoology. I have a few projects going towards this concerning the katipo and redback spiders, Latrodectus katipo/hasseltii. It's heaps of fun and I'd like to continue studying arachnids. I like all of them but particularly the spiders, pseudoscorpions and mites. At the moment I'm looking for ideas for my PhD and ideally I'd like to continue my Latrodectus studies or study the ecology of pseudoscorpions or mites. What fascinates me about spiders is their behaviour. The more I read about it the more interesting it becomes! Of course with mites and pseudoscorpions so little study has been done that I'm keen to see what's beneath the surface. Mites are so diverse and important for ecosystems in ways we're only beginning to understand while hardly anything at all is known about pseudoscorpions. I found one while I was out doing fieldwork that had hold of a fly twice as big as itself with one claw. The fly was buzzing with all its mite but the pseudoscorpion didn't let go. That's pretty darn impressive to me.

Anyway, I'm here to learn mostly although I have a wee bit of experience with the Latrodectus species so who knows, I might have some knowledge that is of value to someone.

persistent

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone!
My name is Ewoud and I'm from Belgium. I recently got my first tarantula so joining these forums seemed like a logical step.
I've been into keeping and breeding praying mantises for about 2,5 years now. Recently a friend asked me if I could take over there pet tarantula. They're a bunch of young people living together and one of them realised it wasn't really taken care of very properly. Knowing I was into mantids he asked me I would want to keep it because he was sure I would take better care of it than his housemates.
When I was about 7 I really wanted a pet tarantula but my parents wouldn't let me and I got a pet turtle instead. Years have gone by and since I've gotten into mantids I hadn't really considered keeping Ts anymore. Looking up some info about them I immediatly noticed how interesting and beautiful they are. So I gadly took his offer and now since wednesday I got my first tarantula!
They had no idea about what species or sex it was but I'm quite sure it's a brachypelma vagans. They told me it should be about 4-4,5 years old. It also molted about a month or 2 ago and they kept the molt so I checked for signs of sex. Having no experience with this and the molt being damaged I haven't really been able to determine the sex. The molt made me think male, the undeside of the abdomen makes me think female. I haven't been able to take a good picture of the abdomen yet but I shall post it here once I do.
I'm really looking forward to this hobby and will probably get a larger collection once I've gained a little bit more knowledge and experience about them.
Cheers!

Odyssey

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone,

I'm new here too, my name is Kathy and I live in Newcastle (UK) with my husband Baz, 3 kids, and our animal gang, which includes snakes, a beardie, two cats and a dog. We are both arachnophobes although I have made a big effort to get over it by meeting some Ts and have ended up falling in love. I help in a local reptile shop and we had a juvenile grammostola rosea RCF in, allegedly female, but on bringing "her" home she moulted into a 2" MM. :o_O: My husband is trying very hard to get over his fears too and given he is going blind (Stargardt's Disease) we wanted a spider that would get a bit bigger than this little guy, so have a 2nd on the way next week in the form of a female grammostola pulchripes.

Anyway, lovely to meet you all!

Kathy and co.

Nogalo

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone. My name is Jozo and I come from Croatia ( Europa ). I am in this hobby almost 2 year and i can tell I am new :biggrin:
I just have Tarantulas and that's it. I hope i can learn something from you I olso see lot's of picture and breading project's

Greeting Jozo

MoonRaven

Arachnopeon
Hello to everyone,

My name is Rachel, and I'm from Arkansas (US). The reason I decided to join this forum is because my boyfriend (Storm76) recently started the T hobby and has been getting me more and more interested the past number of months. My brother had a T when we were younger, but I don't recall what species it was or much else about it. Right now I'm just trying to learn and gather information about them before I consider getting one for myself. I've learned a lot more than I did before through my boyfriend, this forum, well known T keepers on youtube, and just ordered myself the "T bible" and another book that should arrive soon.
My favorite genuses so far would probably be: Avicularia, Acanthoscurria, Brachypelma, Chromatopelma, Grammostola, Lasiodora, Poecilotheria, Psalmopoeus, Nhandu, and I really like T's from many other genuses, as well.
While I do admire the beauty of these creatures, I'm not without worries in starting the hobby. Besides the obvious of getting bitten or haired, I'm a bit apprehensive since I worry about how to handle a situation if one should escape or run while trying to rehouse or clean the enclosure and about how my two cats and dog would react to one. I'd love some advice from people who own other pets one how they deal with keeping them separate and safe.

Anyways, I've really enjoyed looking around here so far and learning what I can and hope to own T's some day to show off and talk about. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hello to everyone,

My name is Rachel, and I'm from Arkansas (US). The reason I decided to join this forum is because my boyfriend (Storm76) recently started the T hobby and has been getting me more and more interested the past number of months. My brother had a T when we were younger, but I don't recall what species it was or much else about it. Right now I'm just trying to learn and gather information about them before I consider getting one for myself. I've learned a lot more than I did before through my boyfriend, this forum, well known T keepers on youtube, and just ordered myself the "T bible" and another book that should arrive soon.
My favorite genuses so far would probably be: Avicularia, Acanthoscurria, Brachypelma, Chromatopelma, Grammastola, Lasiodora, Poecilotheria, Psalmopoeus, Nhandu, and I really like T's from many other genuses, as well.
While I do admire the beauty of these creatures, I'm not without worries in starting the hobby. Besides the obvious of getting bitten or haired, I'm a bit apprehensive since I worry about how to handle a situation if one should escape or run while trying to rehouse or clean the enclosure and about how my two cats and dog would react to one. I'd love some advice from people who own other pets one how they deal with keeping them separate and safe.

Anyways, I've really enjoyed looking around here so far and learning what I can and hope to own T's some day to show off and talk about. :biggrin:
Suffice to say - I'm smiling :) Welcome to the "hobby" :D

aLDoDarK

Arachnoknight
Hi everyone!
I'm new here and I also just started to care a few of docile species tarantulas such as Chaco golden knee, B.Smithi, and B.Albopilosum. And I started first with the albopilosum and then get another 2 for just in a week time :laugh: Guess that the tarantulas "venom" is really strong to make me addicted :sarcasm:. Hope that we could learn and exploring about our hobby more on arachnoboard. Cheers!

myprotos

Arachnopeon
hi!

hello there XD

i'm korean

so i can't speak english very well, but try hard lol

hm..

i'm 26years old in korea (born at 1987)

i have some tarantulras but i'm newbie

metallica pinktoe/acicularis metalica (0.7inch/2cm)

Brazilian Red & White/Nhandu chromatus (2inch/5cm)
but we commonly call 'stripe redrump'

Pterinochilus murinus/Usambara variant(1inch)

kelvintheiah

Arachnosquire
hi everyone. im kelvin from philippines. planning to get my first T B. Albo or chaco golden knee if i can find cheaper one. I started to pet scorpion, Hottenttotta Hottenttotta that was given to me by my friend. im 2 months in the hobby. if anyone selling or willing to give me some B. albo or chaco golden knee or any beginners T let me know. i prefer receiving as a gift lol thanks.

Eugene

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone!

My name is Shayna and I'm from Ontario, Canada. I'm new to this board and to inverts all together. I have been keeping reptiles and amphibians for about 12 years and have decided to venture in to a new area. I purchased my first tarantula from Tarantula Canada a few days ago, it is a 1.5" Pamphobeteus platyomma sling and I am in love! I have interests in all animals and I currently own a bearded dragon, green iguana, a fire skink pair, and (a little out of place at my house) two rabbits. I spend my free time doing wildlife photography which can be seen here if interested: www.shaynahartley.com.
I am so happy to have found this forum and can't wait to learn more about my new found love. :)

kelvintheiah

Arachnosquire
you got some nice shots from your website. keep it up. :D

Hi everyone!

My name is Shayna and I'm from Ontario, Canada. I'm new to this board and to inverts all together. I have been keeping reptiles and amphibians for about 12 years and have decided to venture in to a new area. I purchased my first tarantula from Tarantula Canada a few days ago, it is a 1.5" Pamphobeteus platyomma sling and I am in love! I have interests in all animals and I currently own a bearded dragon, green iguana, a fire skink pair, and (a little out of place at my house) two rabbits. I spend my free time doing wildlife photography which can be seen here if interested: www.shaynahartley.com.
I am so happy to have found this forum and can't wait to learn more about my new found love. :)

Troy3926

Arachnopeon
New here

My name is Troy I'm from Jacksonville Florida I only have one T as of now it's a P. Ornata sex unknown. Spent the last 9 years of my life in the USN and I'm getting out in September to achieve other goals in my life. I love T's and I hope to meet lots of new friends here!

tatumdarling

Arachnopeon
Hello, my name is Steph. I live in south GA, USA. Im an avid animal lover with my newest love being tarantulas. I currently own a young (more then likely male) pink toe named Avi. Hopeing to own a chaco golden knee and possible a brazillian black in the next couple years. I do exotic animal shows for kids in my area.

JungleFritz

Arachnopeon
Hi, all! New to the forum... I've kept a T or two over the years, and I'm just now getting back into it, so I joined to catch up on any advances in arachnoculture, and to get info on species that are new to the hobby (like the Maraca cabocla I picked up this past weekend!). I currently have six spiders: 1 Grammostola spp., 1 B. boehmii, 1 B. emilia, 1 P. irminia, 1 Maraca cabocla, and 1 P. murinus. All juveniles or slings. Looking forward to learning a lot here!

LadyLuck

Arachnopeon
Hello all!

Hello, my name is Jessica. I am 28 and live in Albuquerque, NM. I have been a spider lover and owner my whole life but have maily owned desert tarantuals until about two years ago. I currently own a pink toe who is the sweetest, most calm spider I have ever encountered and I own a psychotic Cobalt Blue who is the complete oppisite. Both of my pretty pets are females and are are pretty darn big. I also own two baby corn snakes and a grumpy bull snake. I am an animal lover but definitey find peace and relaxation when it comes to enjoying my spiders. In the future, I hope to get my hands on an adult female Goliath and have been searching for an avicularia purpurea without any such luck.

garryb

Arachnopeon
hey guys! just wanted to pop in an introduce myself. my name is garry and im in wa state.
pretty new to the hobby, an have only owned a few t's back when i was in the service.(pink toe and rosea) now dont beat me up too bad for my spelling and correct names for all the species ,lol....i am trying to learn them. anyways i just picked up my first addition to my soon to be collection. male p.ornata roughly 5.5" a few weeks ago. and will be getting my second on wed. a 3/4" obt.

some of the t"s that id like to get are:

p.fasciata
p.regalis
p.metalica
p.miranda
p.pedersini
p.fermosa
p.tigrinawesseli

avic. vesicolor
green bottle blue

m.balfouri

chilobrachys fimbriatus

also id like to get a giant centepied.

a few of my other pets are a mated pair of tokay geckos,gargoyl gecko, crested gecko and a 6' red tail.

anyways ,hope to get to know some of you and lean more about these awsome critters.

StormShadow

Arachnopeon
My name is Alex Pascual and I'm new to this forum - I own a Steatoda Grossa and a Brown Widow!

Hi Everyone,

I'm glad that I found this site where I can find and ask information related to spiders.

Cheers,
Alex Pascual

Lexx

Arachnopeon
First Post

Well like the title says this is my first post. Been collecting reptiles most of my life but have recently developed quite an interest in tarantulas. Have a Acanthoscurria geniculataand a B. smithi and have to say that they are really cool and looking forward to learning a lot more about these interesting little creatures. Hope to make some worthwhile connections here and find the kind of info not readily available in a book. I'm in Ontario Canada and look forward to spending some time on the forums, take care everyone.

Ray