Parasitized spider?

jarmst4

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
That thing is gross. Freakin monsters inside of me stuff.

tmcv

Arachnosquire
Hey all!
Galapoheros could be it....
but have a lot of records abou Mermithidae nematodes infection in spiders. The Mermithidae nematodes is common in insects, but also get spiders as hosts. Unfortunally nobody ever indentify the genera of the nematode because they are still imature when emerge, being very dificult to identify. But a few genera could infect spiders: Allomermis, Eumermis, Hydromermis, Mermis, Octomermis, Orthomermis, Pheromermis, Phreatomermis, and Quadrimermis.

This nematodes can infest the host directly, invading the integument, or indirectly byt water or contaminated prey ingestion.

I have one case report from a japanese wolf spider. If interest to anyone, a can send to you.

Cheers.

Aviara

Arachnoknight
I was under the impression that horsehairs were very long and narrow, and the "worm" in the video looks rather fat, especially if the spider is as big as the description claims. In the photographs of horsehair worms I've seen, they look like they are at maximum about as thick as a jewelry chain. On a side note, sad that the guy's gut reaction is to spray pesticides on arachnids. I get people that are afraid of them, but stomping has far less negative consequences.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Hey all!
Galapoheros could be it....
but have a lot of records abou Mermithidae nematodes infection in spiders. The Mermithidae nematodes is common in insects, but also get spiders as hosts. Unfortunally nobody ever indentify the genera of the nematode because they are still imature when emerge, being very dificult to identify. But a few genera could infect spiders: Allomermis, Eumermis, Hydromermis, Mermis, Octomermis, Orthomermis, Pheromermis, Phreatomermis, and Quadrimermis.

This nematodes can infest the host directly, invading the integument, or indirectly byt water or contaminated prey ingestion.

I have one case report from a japanese wolf spider. If interest to anyone, a can send to you.

Cheers.

OK, I see, I found this just now to back you up on that. http://www.photomacrography.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2762 the post by rjlittlefield.

jecraque

Arachnobaron
grayzone just posted some extra commentary on one of the tarantula boards about this--http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?242725-Nematode-question

Apparently it is a nematode after all. HuffPo picked up the video for the yuck factor and got an entomologist to comment on it.

Was it ever actually shown what the guy sprayed? Spider-fearing humans are prone to spraying just about any chemical at them, not just pesticides. Hairspray, deodorant, you name it...

Last edited:

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
grayzone just posted some extra commentary on one of the tarantula boards about this--http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?242725-Nematode-question

Apparently it is a nematode after all. HuffPo picked up the video for the yuck factor and got an entomologist to comment on it.

Was it ever actually shown what the guy sprayed? Spider-fearing humans are prone to spraying just about any chemical at them, not just pesticides. Hairspray, deodorant, you name it...
ํีYuck factor. Perfect way of putting it!
Sort of looks like soap being sprayed. Furniture or bathroom cleaner is my guess. More poisons in one can of the average household cleanser than in several million spiders.

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Oh...library administration, people that linger in the passing lane, telemarketers, bulk mailers, the Maloof Bros., politicians that legislate for the lowest common denominator, the makers of Velveeta, Dep't of Transportation, Phish, birthers, breeders, Regal Cinemas, Gavin McCleod, gladhanders, toadies, perpetual optimists & Snooky...phew! Must breathe.

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
My stomach feels weird...

I don't think that was a worm. What ever that spray was caused a strand of lo mien to come to life. The real question is "why was a spider eating lo mien?"

Ciphor

Arachnoprince
Oh...library administration, people that linger in the passing lane, telemarketers, bulk mailers, the Maloof Bros., politicians that legislate for the lowest common denominator, the makers of Velveeta, Dep't of Transportation, Phish, birthers, breeders, Regal Cinemas, Gavin McCleod, gladhanders, toadies, perpetual optimists & Snooky...phew! Must breathe.
Lol Regal Cinemas hahahaha. Only a washatonian would understand that one.

They do need a parasite lol. Regal 13 3dollar movies aren't the worst though. Great for cheap dates ^_~

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Lol Regal Cinemas hahahaha. Only a washatonian would understand that one.

They do need a parasite lol. Regal 13 3dollar movies aren't the worst though. Great for cheap dates ^_~
We have carmike blue ridge. Can't beat 2 dollar movies. They were 1.50 but they went up recently. They also have Stimulus Tuesdays! 1.50 popcorn and 1.50 sodas!