Hurricane Gustav

Tokendog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
That is one stunning picture and I sure hope he made it. Looks like an Aphonopelma.

Also take them with you. Any idea where you're going? I recently moved and just brought everything (the larger and smaller tarantulas, even one that was bred) in the containers they were in.
We're heading up to Monroe, LA. The idea is to get a hotel once we get a little further north. We do not want to be far from home because if the storm is as bad as it can be, and our apartment gets hit hard, we need to get back to make sure looters do not take their picking from our belongings.

Its sad but things fall apart very quickly when a disaster occurs. Already, before the storm has even entered the Gulf, people are becoming agitated and fighting over sand for sand bags. I just want to head further North and be able to get back quickly once it passes.

I have only had my Ts for almost a month and am getting really attached to them, so they are high up on my priority list. The only other person I have to worry about is my wife and she is coming with me so my Ts are next in line, lol! My friends have all headed out already or will be soon.

PsychoSpider

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The only ones I would be worried about the substrate flying all over the place are the gbb and the rosea so I would put those two in a salsa container but then again the only thing I would really be wor ied about in the roseas enclosure because hides are normally heavy. You can deciede what to do but I would definetly put the gbb in one.

Flying

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
The only ones I would be worried about the substrate flying all over the place are the gbb and the rosea so I would put those two in a salsa container but then again the only thing I would really be wor ied about in the roseas enclosure because hides are normally heavy. You can deciede what to do but I would definetly put the gbb in one.
If you give the containers a good place in the car then that's not an issue. Unless the driver drives like a maniac. I've bought tarantulas at expo's located in other countries and got them home by car without them suffering a cave-in..

PsychoSpider

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
If you give the containers a good place in the car then that's not an issue. Unless the driver drives like a maniac. I've bought tarantulas at expo's located in other countries and got them home by car without them suffering a cave-in..
I was thinking that to but I just decieded to not say anything.

Tokendog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Yeah and the GBB was moved in three days ago and already has started webbing from the floor to the ceiling of the enclosure and is making a very nice curtain out of it, so I would prefer not to open the enclosure all the way and damage it as that would just further stress the T. I think my best bet is to take them as they are and bring the ziplock cups along with some paper towels just in case. If I see they are getting jostled a good bit, I can pull over at a gas station, dampen the towels with water, and transfer them over...

Its going to be stop and go traffic most of the way - should be, usually is anyway, and that will help as we will not be moving very fast for much of the trip.

PsychoSpider

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah and the GBB was moved in three days ago and already has started webbing from the floor to the ceiling of the enclosure and is making a very nice curtain out of it, so I would prefer not to open the enclosure all the way and damage it as that would just further stress the T. I think my best bet is to take them as they are and bring the ziplock cups along with some paper towels just in case. If I see they are getting jostled a good bit, I can pull over at a gas station, dampen the towels with water, and transfer them over...

Its going to be stop and go traffic most of the way - should be, usually is anyway, and that will help as we will not be moving very fast for much of the trip.
That's why I said you deciede.;)

equuskat

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I think that either way, they'll be fine. :) Don't stress too much over it, just be careful and be safe. Hoping for the best for you!

Tokendog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think that either way, they'll be fine. :) Don't stress too much over it, just be careful and be safe. Hoping for the best for you!

I was just resting for a moment and I was thinking about all the crap I have to do and have been doing the last couple of days when a stray thought came to me: Hey, Monroe might have some nice reptile pet stores...I could check out their Tarantula inventory while I am there...

Then I realized I am going through this trying to figure out how to safely get my Ts up there, while I am also considering coming back down with more!

No, I'm not addicted. =P

Tokendog

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Alright. Heading out in 30 minutes. Hopefully my home will be here when I get back. Thanks for all of your advice and I will post with an update once electricity is restored and we're allowed back in.

For Katrina, which was a Cat 5, it was two weeks. I am hoping this one will not do as much damage and I'll be back home in a week or less.

Thanks again!

Kris-wIth-a-K

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
hmm

worse comes to worst you can put floaties around the tanks.. That would be very interesting to see a tarantula tank floating down the road. lol..

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Take them all. Plain and simple. Remember how long it was after Katrina?

Take them. Any way you can.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just want to add right now for anyone who isn't aware that Gustav is a Category 4 right now and is still projected to hit New Orleans. Winds are around 140mph and I believe Cat 5 is 150, so he's a STRONG Cat 4.

We on the west coast of Florida have been getting wind and rain, but it's hard to imagine what New Orleans is going to look like after this is done.

Oh, and we have two more storms lined up shortly following Gustav. Hannah and Ike.

blazetown

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
holy shite this has been a bad storm season.Hope everybody in the places Gus. is gonna hit is ok...I almost wanna run down to the states and collect any T's floating around...

jinx

Arachnopeon
I'm waiting on my deployment over to New Orleans should be within the next couple of days.

Veneficus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I just want to add right now for anyone who isn't aware that Gustav is a Category 4 right now and is still projected to hit New Orleans. Winds are around 140mph and I believe Cat 5 is 150, so he's a STRONG Cat 4.

We on the west coast of Florida have been getting wind and rain, but it's hard to imagine what New Orleans is going to look like after this is done.

Oh, and we have two more storms lined up shortly following Gustav. Hannah and Ike.
I think it's a Cat 5 now.

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yeah, upped to Cat 5 and I believe is now down to Cat 3.