Too many questions about uninteresting tarantulas and lack of common sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

jim777

Arachnosquire
It would be nice if everyone used the search function, but I don't have a problem answering noob questions. Especially when I see a noob question being answered incorrectly by other recent noobs :) I've been a mod on a guitar forum since '03, and it's the noobs that keep a forum going - you might as well be polite and hope they stick around and help grow the place and the hobby :)

So, if you just joined the board and are reading this, or are just reading and haven't posted, welcome aboard (from another recent noob here) :)

grayzone

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I don't believe in "stupid questions" cause it's better to ask than to be in doubt. But I do believe there are many repetitive and redundant questions that could/should already be answered by simple research (ie. reading back even 3-4 pages...lol). It does bother me to see the same question on the same page....that blows my mind.
its like you read my mind... word for word

Shell

ArachnoVixen AKA Dream Crusher AKA Heartbreaker
Staff member
It would be nice if everyone used the search function, but I don't have a problem answering noob questions. Especially when I see a noob question being answered incorrectly by other recent noobs :)
This is exactly how I feel. Do I sometimes sigh to myself and think "really, this again?" sure I do, BUT I try to help as much as I can and then point them in the direction of the search function, because let's face it, there is a ton of great info there.

Everybody had to start somewhere, and we have all, at some point in our lives, asked a "stupid question," be it here, or somewhere else. I try not to get annoyed and be as helpful as I can, but I am only human, and sometimes do get irritated and decide to let someone else handle it.

Satanika

She Who Rules AKA Thread Killer
Staff member
:clap: MMAFogg. I lurked on these forums for months before actually posting, and was (and still am) amazed by the amount of belittling that goes on when new members ask certain questions. Our hobby isn't exactly mainstream, and you'd think that we would rejoice every time a new member entered here seeking advice from people who had more knowledge than they did. Instead, they are more often met with a litany of "use the search function" posts. While this is a valid point, it is too often delivered with a less than ideal amount of tact. If you take the time to post "use the search function", I don't see how taking the extra 45 seconds to actually answer the question, then add "by the way, there is a great tool you can use" can be such a bother...

As for the original post, I think G. rosea is a great spider. Sure, it's common, cheap, and seems to make up 90% of PetCo's inventory... It's also the species that is most likely to bring new blood into our hobby. I would think that everyone on this board would agree that new members entering the hobby is a great thing, but reading the posts here sometimes makes me wonder. In any case, on the day I get tired of reading threads about G. rosea, I can always use the "filter" option, and just not open the thread to begin with.
My take on all of this. ;)

There are some threads, handling, taming, hybrids, vertebrate feeding and common G. rosea stuff for example, that have been beaten to death soooo many times on here, that pretty much everything can be answered by using the search function.

For the more controversial ones (hybrids, taming etc) the best bet really is the search function, to avoid starting yet another 10 page war that ends up getting locked.

The same goes for the basic questions like "how do I take care of a G. rosea?" there is a great sticky and TONS of info to be found with the search function.

I'm not saying don't start new threads, because yes, that is what this forum is for, what I'm saying is search first. If it's something that comes up over and over again, chances are we don't need another thread on it, and your answers can be found there.

If you don't find your answers or have something new or different to say, go for it.
:)
The tarantula chat subforum is for chatting about our spiders etc, it just gets a little redundant to see 10 G. rosea threads all going at once on the first page.

It's not about NOT starting new threads, it's about using the incredible resources here and adding and contributing to the forum in a positive way. Not cluttering it up with the same old threads over and over. :)

Just my .02
Yes Yes Yes !!! Read what is underlined in bold (in both quotes. Pay extra attention to the part in red). ;) I have been saying this for years. :clap:

This is really meant more so for those who want everything to be "spoon fed" to them and prefer others do the research for them, rather then they spend those same 45 extra seconds doing it themselves. I don't think anyone here has any issues with "legitimate" questions or posts, if worded properly. I have a lot more respect for someone who mentions in their post that they have taken the time to try to find the answers and either had another question or maybe even just didn't quite understand what they had found and was looking for further clarification. By all means, either bump those threads or start a new one. :)

For example, someone who says "Yo, just got my T, so tell me everything I need to know", well ... that is extremely frustrating. Same with those who are impatient and want their answer like 5 minutes ago. My time is just as valuable and I have no problem spending it helping others, when deserved (or in my case, when time allows which lately has been a task all by itself, lol). ;P

PLEASE also take a moment to consider the title of your thread. Titling it " please help", does not help us to help you. It also renders the search function pretty much useless and irrelevant and harder to navigate.

If anyone feels they have nothing positive to contribute, then they don't have to say anything at all. Just move along and leave it for someone else. It actually takes less effort to just click out of the thread than it does to click reply and not be helpful or rude. No one is saying your posts have to be filled with smileys or rainbows and unicorns. But a little tact can go a long long way.

Just saying. ;)

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I find using google is more helpful in finding information on AB then the search function. Google "why isn't my G. rosea eating" and you will most likely be brought to a thread ,archived or not, from AB. I google my question and just look for the AB links. As far as getting upset about repeat threads? People are taking these boards too seriously. I can see how it could be annoying, but so is dog hair and the crust that comes off milk containers. Cigar smoke and being soaking wet are also annoying. Guess what? You can't control it and all you can do is complain about it. The best way to get rid of it is not to answer it and hope people realize that they aren't getting answers because their question is so easily obtainable through other means. It's a viscous cycle that will be repeated in forums throughout the internet. It just happens and getting irked is only hurting yourself and being "mean" to newbies will only stunt the growth of this hobby.

---------- Post added 01-23-2012 at 02:46 PM ----------

Oh and post links! And, when you see questions about G. roseas, which you definitely will, just post this link and nothing else: http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/roses.html
Don't answer any questions until you are certain this person has read this link.

---------- Post added 01-23-2012 at 02:49 PM ----------

If everyone who googled "How to care for Chilean rose" found a link to these boards that contained a thread that contained a link to a full description about these creatures, surely the "dumb" questions would start to decrease.

ijmccollum

Arachnosquire
Oh and post links! And, when you see questions about G. roseas, which you definitely will, just post this link and nothing else: http://people.ucalgary.ca/~schultz/...l, that's when you move on to something else.

Last edited:

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
It would be nice if everyone used the search function, but I don't have a problem answering noob questions. Especially when I see a noob question being answered incorrectly by other recent noobs :)
I've tried to stay out of this because I'm busy and this won't go anywhere productive, but the whole "blind leading the blind" thing bothers me so much more than the "noob" questions. There's so much misinformation out there (even on this forum) it's a large reason why I continue to post with any regularity. Someone gets their first tarantula and two weeks later are giving advice about keeping pokies to someone else (deliberately exaggerated, slightly, for dramatic effect).

To make it clear, I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST "NOOBS". If you PM me with a question, I will take the time to answer it to the best of my abilities, seriously. I'm also not saying that I'm an "expert" in tarantula keeping. Far from it, I'm learning new things every day and am careful to not overestimate my abilities as a t hobbyist. I just have more experience relative to most that commonly post.

Wadew

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think what often happens is an invertebrate keeper finds an internet forum Like Arachnoboards hangs around a little while generates a little enthusiasm and see's the amount of activity and potential knowledge around them. Most are aware of the "Search Function" but choose to try and connect with other people by asking a question. With this approach they are becoming part of the community and interacting with other people that have similar interests. I would assume that" Tarantula Chat " should be just that "chat" and would be more of an open forum for a newcomer to enter and chat. If it is redundant so what. They are most likely there for the interaction and the knowledge that comes with it! If the Chat was open and the "Discussion Forum" was not filled with "Chat" then those with no patience could read the discussion forum only! If a thread in Chat becomes worthy of cleaning up and moving to the discussion forum so be it.

Wade

MMAFogg

Arachnosquire
I would rather 100 computer search noobs and 100 tarantula noobs all posted the same question and made their spiders life a little better than one who didnt and caused their pet harm.

akpropst

Arachnopeon
Wow. I really didn't think this thread would get this much attention.

Pavlor. All I stated was not knowing about the TKG was sad. I didn't say you had to have read it front to back 50 times. The book is such a helpful tool and would save people a lot of trouble if they, as Abraxas said, "skimmed" it. I just find it hard to believe you had never heard of it, it's referenced in a lot of the stickies on the forum. Also, being successful is great, you mentioned you have successfully kept T's for years without ever having read TKG. My LPS could also say the same. They have successfully kept/sold T's for years. Their husbandry is horrific.

As I have, I think, a total of 26 posts. I do not jump at the opportunity to flame someone for posting something I deem unworthy. I am not here to make friends or enemies. I came for information, oddly enough, I didn't have to post threads for it.

Abraxas, you made me chuckle :D

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
I think what often happens is an invertebrate keeper finds an internet forum Like Arachnoboards hangs around a little while generates a little enthusiasm and see's the amount of activity and potential knowledge around them. Most are aware of the "Search Function" but choose to try and connect with other people by asking a question. With this approach they are becoming part of the community and interacting with other people that have similar interests. I would assume that" Tarantula Chat " should be just that "chat" and would be more of an open forum for a newcomer to enter and chat. If it is redundant so what. They are most likely there for the interaction and the knowledge that comes with it! If the Chat was open and the "Discussion Forum" was not filled with "Chat" then those with no patience could read the discussion forum only! If a thread in Chat becomes worthy of cleaning up and moving to the discussion forum so be it.

Wade
True! If I have a "dumb" question or just an observation I try and remember to start my thread in the "chat" forum. These threads get purged anyway.

jakykong

Arachnobaron
Well, chiming in after reading the thread so far.

I'm a fairly new comer to the hobby, but while lurking and searching usually answers my questions, it's been said that the best way to learn is to teach. If someone asks a simple question that I know the answer to (or can reasonably guess/extrapolate, if I make it clear that's what I'm doing) - well, I learn it all that much better by answering.

It's also community-building - for newcomers, it gives them a chance to introduce themselves and be introduced; for intermediates, it gives them a chance to help out and gather trust; for experts, it gives them a chance to correct errors that the newcomers and intermediates may have stated (helping both at the same time).

Searching is important, partly because it's far faster and more efficient than posting, but also because it saves on common questions. But before the search function is useful, you need to know at least a modicum about what you're searching for. That's why there are a lot of beginner's threads, then a jump to advanced threads, with very few in between (at least so far that I've noticed).

It's interesting to read the varied opinions on this topic here.

Pavlor

Arachnopeon
Wow. I really didn't think this thread would get this much attention.

Pavlor. All I stated was not knowing about the TKG was sad. I didn't say you had to have read it front to back 50 times. The book is such a helpful tool and would save people a lot of trouble if they, as Abraxas said, "skimmed" it. I just find it hard to believe you had never heard of it, it's referenced in a lot of the stickies on the forum. Also, being successful is great, you mentioned you have successfully kept T's for years without ever having read TKG. My LPS could also say the same. They have successfully kept/sold T's for years. Their husbandry is horrific.

As I have, I think, a total of 26 posts. I do not jump at the opportunity to flame someone for posting something I deem unworthy. I am not here to make friends or enemies. I came for information, oddly enough, I didn't have to post threads for it.

Abraxas, you made me chuckle :D
Great. You know, I had to look up the meaning of "LPS" as I didn't what that meant, either ;) I ask questions if I don't know, akprost - nothing more, nothing less. Now I know what TKG is. I rejoined the forum two, three days ago and went straight into posting and then started to sniff around the place. I don't tend to look up acronyms unless I feel I really need to, but hadn't seen TKG referenced, but thn again, I haven't read a lot on this forum (yet). Even when I joined back in 2006 (thanks Chrysta for reminding me), I think I made a total of two posts and didn't get involved. I still don't get why it is "sad" that I have not heard of TKG - there's not exactly a dearth of reference material for tarantula-keeping in the hobby and the internet and commonsense keep me up-to-date =) So far on joining this forum, I have had mixed responses about tarantulas (look up my thread "Blue Baboon", for example) - seemingly knowledgeable people coming out with wrong information. And I bet the guy had read TKG, as well =/

desertanimal

Arachnoknight
I have been a member of many fora over the last decade, and each has its own personality. I don't much like the ones where everything is roses and candycanes and no one can call anyone out for laziness or carelessness, etc. I will say that this one is the "toughest" crowd I've seen. So much so that I am often reluctant to post. But c'est la vie. It has still been a place where I've been able to find all the information I need (without buying or reading the TKG, which is always my goal of Internet research--to avoid buying a book to achieve the same information destination). Still, I know I won't be kicking back any beers with any of the members of this forum when I hear they're in my town, as I have done with members of other fora whom I now call real friends.

I do think there are dumb questions. IMO, dumb questions are those you have the capacity to answer for yourself but were too lazy to do so. So the se question could be dumb for one person and not for another.
Knowledge of the person asking is required to divine the dumbness.

I don't mind when a newbie neglects to pay attention and notice that the culture here is very do-it-yourself. Those people will catch on as soon as they're politely referred to the search function. What I DO mind is the kids who come on here and are clearly using the forum as an attention-seeking tool in the guise of using it as an information-seeking tool. These are the people I don't answer and whom I have been poo-pooh'ed for using my very favorite and rarely used "let me google that for you" weblink on. Those people don't stop asking stupid questions, because the answering of their questions is what they seek, not the information contained in the answers. And it drives me crazy when well-meaning, let's be nice to the newbies because they are the future of our hobby types keep feeding the types of people who are asking those types of questions.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
What I DO mind is the kids who come on here and are clearly using the forum as an attention-seeking tool in the guise of using it as an information-seeking tool. These are the people I don't answer and whom I have been poo-pooh'ed for using my very favorite and rarely used "let me google that for you" weblink on. Those people don't stop asking stupid questions, because the answering of their questions is what they seek, not the information contained in the answers. And it drives me crazy when well-meaning, let's be nice to the newbies because they are the future of our hobby types keep feeding the types of people who are asking those types of questions.
I agree with you completely...

Our hobby definitely attracts both ends of the maturity spectrum (OMG VENOMS SPYDERXZZZ! vs. the scientifically-minded invert nerd for life), which in my opinion, is where much of the forum mentality/confrontation comes from. I think it's the clashing of two completely different groups of people that literally speak different languages.

On a slightly off-topic note - Ever notice the INCREDIBLY short lifespan for the majority of users on this forum? The turnover can be incredible sometimes. I know it happens on every internet forum, but I think the obsession with tarantulas is sometimes particularly short-lived. That or people get tired of the incessant G. rosea questions (only joking.......kinda).

jakykong

Arachnobaron
I had noticed the turnover as well... I have to wonder whether those are people with a couple of questions, who then simply ignore the board (or use the search function!) after that; or perhaps move to another forum. It's hard to say.

On the one hand, it does happen with every forum. But on the other hand, it's unfortunate because a growing, vibrant community requires people to stick around and keep it going.

jayefbe

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I actually think that a large portion of the short-lived users just lose interest in their new hobby. Many start off incredibly enthusiastic, but only a fraction will be around even a few months after they begin. It's difficult to say how much of that is just leaving the forum or the hobby altogether, but I'd guess it's the latter often enough.

Shrike

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
On a slightly off-topic note - Ever notice the INCREDIBLY short lifespan for the majority of users on this forum? The turnover can be incredible sometimes. I know it happens on every internet forum, but I think the obsession with tarantulas is sometimes particularly short-lived. That or people get tired of the incessant G. rosea questions (only joking.......kinda).
I've definitely noticed it. I think some lose interest in the hobby, and of course, life can get in the way. I know that immediately after joining, there were a couple of years where I didn't post much at all. Even so, I've wondered if some folks I got used to seeing around here have permanently migrated elsewhere.

There's no way I would do that, not after working so hard to build up Arachnoboards street cred ;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.