Introduce Yourself

Splitz

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone, found this site whilst researching info on scolopendra, have been fascinated by them for a while and decided it was about time I tried keeping one for myself. I'm collecting my first one on thursday (scolopendra hardwickei) and am looking for any tips on care/housing. I also have a few t's and hope to meet some new people with simmilar interests.

Cheers,
Splitz

Fenn

Arachnopeon
How is everyone?

Hey all! My name is Cody, and I live in Le Mars Iowa. I have been in love with bugs since I was a little boy, so I took the next logical step: freak everyone out by collecting giant versions of things I already have :biggrin:

Genova

Arachnopeon
Hi, New to forum. Am from the uk and hope I've posted in right place! :)

Hiya everyone,

Been looking for new forums to join and came across this one...I'm from the uk but hey...it looked like a good forum and there are a few from your side of the pond on our forums lol. Please go easy on me...I'm a girl :)
My main interests and hobbies are keeping boas and spiders. Have 7 boas and 9 spider (plus other pets...great dane,jack russell dogs, 2 cats, a hamster + fish) looking foreward to finding my way around here.
Let the warm welcomes commence! :)

Here what i have so far

0.1.0 G. Pulchra - Mizuki
0.1.0 A. Sp. New River - Shay
0.1.0 G. Sp. Maule - Keiko
0.1.0 L. Parahybana - Seraph
0.1.0 A. Geniculata - Atticus
0.0.1 E. Truculentus - Constantine
0.0.1 G. Pulchripes - Slevin
0.0.1 B. Smithi - Hex
0.0.1 N. Chromatus - No Name Yet
0.1.0 Kahl Albino Boa - Genova
0.1.0 Common Boa - Ember
0.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boa - Mimi
1.0.0 Hypo Het Kahl Albino DH Sunglow Boa - Fox
1.0.0 Het Kahl Boa - Buster
1.0.0 Salmon Boa - Casper
1.0.0 Hypo Boa - Diesel

Last edited:

hellosugaree

Arachnopeon
New member in Maryland

Hey there. I'm a 27 year old grad student living in Baltimore. I'm new to the forum and new to the hobby. I have been considering a Tarantula for some time now (about 8 months) and this past weekend I finally picked one up--a C. cyaneopubescens spiderling. Anyway, I'll be cruising the forums here for enrichment and entertainment and I look forward to getting to know some of you.

-Tim

poisoned

Arachnodemon
New European guy

Hey,

New to hobby, got my juvenille B. smithi as a gift from girlfriend (she didn't really like spiders before) and bought a C. cyaneopubescens sling (1,5") last week since my smithi is a pethole. Next tarantula on my wish list is A. versicolor.

Otherwise, I've always had some love for bugs (ask my mom how angry I was when she killed poor little spiders), had a pair of mantids last year (they were mating, but she died before she laid eggs). Now I have two cute little tarantulas and I totally fell in love with them.

UralOwl

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hey

Hi, name's Christine, still a student in college. I live just outside London in a rather dull neighbourhood, lol.

I've always wanted a tarantula since I was a kid and recently got one just a little under a month ago. It's a Grammostola sp. "Maule" (Chile Gold Fluff) subadult, not sure of it's gender though, neither was the bloke I brought it from. I've read up about tarantulas before I brought her (fingers crossed it's female) and know the basics such as how often to feed them, what temperature they're best kept at, etc. But I'm still very new to tarantulas since this is my first one and I'm definitely no expert, which is one of the reasons why I joined this forum, to hopefully learn more about tarantulas and their behaviour. So hopefully I'll pick up some useful tips while I'm here and become more of a tarantula novice, rather than a complete beginner.

Rictus

Arachnopeon
Hi-hi! :3

Hi!

My name's Ashlie... I'm pretty new to the hobby, and more of an admirer of at this point- not entirely by choice... but my husband is Canadian and we're working on moving me up there. So not having to haul the mass amount of fauna that I eventually plan on owning over the border is probably just easier. I'm currently going to college to become a veterinarian for exotic animals. I currently own rats, a hamster, a cat... 2 hermit crabs, and a small colony of hissers- I'm also on the hunt for some velvet worms because, by God, are they some of the most fascinating creatures. Soon as I move, however... I plan on getting a A. vesicolor and a P. baeri . I would also like to get a P. imperator and a B. jacksoni... as well as something I've been looking to get since I was a little kid. Giant African millipede- because my GOD am I in love with millipedes. :3 Looking forward to learning everything that I can about all these different amazing creatures... and getting to know people. :)

Skeri

Arachnosquire
Hello

My name is Geri. I love T's! I got my first one at age 14 for my birthday. It was a chilean rose hair. At the time I was limited to one T. I am now the proud owner of 6 T's. I made a promise though to my fiance no more than 8 T's in the house at a time XD although we agreed when I decide to breed any of them (I really want to go through the experience atleast once) that is ok. I'm always willing to buy/sell/trade so I may expand my collection, or help a fellow T lover find what they are looking for. Feel free to inbox me if you want to talk about T's. I am the only person I know in my area that is a T lover (i'm sure there's others I haven't met) So it would be nice to talk T's with others.

Dovecoon

Arachnopeon
I'm Hunter. I'm an undergrad in biology right now, and I'm applying to grad school for entomology over the summer (Hopefully Cornell), but I really signed up for pet tarantula advice and such. Not much else to say, I guess >.>

maxxxieee

Arachnopeon
Hello

What a wonderful site! I am new to this hobby, although I have admired spiders of every kind for decades. I now am the proud owner of a Lasiadora Difficilis, a male by the name of Leo, which has more personality than I've seen in most dogs or cats! He's young and just had his first molt. At the time he was only probably 3 inches in size, a baby, and now a good 6 inches post molt and growing!

He seems to prefer dead as opposed to live crickets... go figure! When I moved him to his new and larger tank, I had to pretty much handle him by placing a clear plastic container over the top of him and thought I could get a spatula underneath... no luck.. the tank he was in was too small! So I took my hand and slowly worked it under the substrait to lift him carefully to the new tank, with the clear container over him so he could not freak out.

A lot of the substrait fell through my fingers as they held onto and supported his legs and slowly let him down realizing he could bite big time if he wanted to. Then the time came to either move my hand or take off the cover.. I chose to take off the cover hoping he would not go for my arm as hand was still underneath him. No problem! He looked around, once the cover was removed and acted like Dorothy Gale in the Wizard of Oz ... er... "we're not in Kansas anymore are we!"

He strutted around (gave him 3 cool cork holes he could climb into, a bean shaped water dish, an orchid and cork ramp... and the softest substrait he just loved... sort of like that kitty in the commercial playing with the laundry... He stretched out as if to say "Ohhhhh yesss Leo Likes That!" He's a beauty and so much fun.

I hope to meet many of you in here! Thanks!
Maxy

---------- Post added 04-26-2012 at 09:50 AM ----------

Hello Ashlie! Millipedes are cool aren't they?! Wishing you the best and hoping success with your new arrivals. they all are such fascinating creatures.... Nice to meet you!

Maxy

Hi!

My name's Ashlie... I'm pretty new to the hobby, and more of an admirer of at this point- not entirely by choice... but my husband is Canadian and we're working on moving me up there. So not having to haul the mass amount of fauna that I eventually plan on owning over the border is probably just easier. I'm currently going to college to become a veterinarian for exotic animals. I currently own rats, a hamster, a cat... 2 hermit crabs, and a small colony of hissers- I'm also on the hunt for some velvet worms because, by God, are they some of the most fascinating creatures. Soon as I move, however... I plan on getting a A. vesicolor and a P. baeri . I would also like to get a P. imperator and a B. jacksoni... as well as something I've been looking to get since I was a little kid. Giant African millipede- because my GOD am I in love with millipedes. :3 Looking forward to learning everything that I can about all these different amazing creatures... and getting to know people. :)

---------- Post added 04-26-2012 at 09:51 AM ----------

WOW... you have quite a collection going! Nice to emet you and would love ot hear more about them!

Maxy

---------- Post added 04-26-2012 at 09:52 AM ----------

Hello Hunter!

I'm new to this hobby as a new owner of a T but have always loved nature. It's great to meet you and I have found incredible advice on this site!

Maxy

TweedMcQueen

Arachnopeon
I love animals but I will never own a Tarantula.

Or so I thought. Greetings from Northeast Indiana. My name is Matt and I am new to the hobby(lifestyle? Addiction?), took the plunge about 3 weeks ago after being a lifetime animal lover who didn't trust or like spiders. I have been cruising around Arachnoboards ever since I stumbled across the site while doing research before my purchase and I am so happy this community/resource exist. I look forward to getting to know everyone and getting to know as much as possible about these awesome little(and not so little) critters we devote so much time to.

Cnorris

Arachnopeon
Hi guys n gals. I'm the Proud owner of an Emperor scorpion and recently purchased a Brachypelma boehmei sling and have the bug. My wife hates them but I'm already trying to work out a way for a greenbottle blue to come into the house without having a divorce. I'm really excited to have found this forum and have already read loads of great threads.

Anyway, I just wanted to say 'Hi'!

sr20det510

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
How's everyone doing?

Glad I found this forum as I own a few invertebrates, and hope to add a few more to my collection. I currently have an emperor scorpion, a vietnamese centipede, a cryptic mantis, and a Griffin mantis. I recently lost my favorite pet of all, a tailwhip scorpion, and found this forum while in search of a tailwhip. Now I'm going through all the threads learning more and more about this hobby.

zadane

Arachnopeon
Well, here I am to introduce myself. I am really new to the hobby. I just picked up my first two Ts. I got a 3/4" G. Rosea about two weeks ago, and I picked up a 1" L. parahybana three days ago.

It might have been a little mistake to get one that grows as fast and gets as large as the LP does for my second T but I'm a little impatient right now being new and wanted one that would grow a little faster than the G. Rosea would. and without buying an adult spider this seemed the best course... we will see if this was a mistake or not...

I've personally been interested in all sorts of... out of the ordinary pets. including snakes, etc. I actually just started thinking about tarantulas a few months ago. I went into my local pet shop to get some crickets for my water dragon and noticed the Ts... ever since then I've been researching for a while... it wasn't until I walked into the pet shop to get more food for my other little guys that I stopped to look at the tarantulas... after receiving some bad advice for a first T I walked out and went to the better albeit more expensive pet store across the street. I bought the food there. they let me hold their fully grown G. rosea, and I picked up my first T there. it's been hard for me not to buy many more since then. But I know if I do it will just end badly... I need a little more experience under my belt before I take on any more...

Kysnakeguy

Arachnopeon
Hi, My name is Alec and i am addicted to Spiders. This is only second to my Snake obssesion but i have loved spiders for much longer. Since i was around 3 and growing up in suburban Maryland, i began to scare my mom with a strange love of spiders and insects. Though she respected this, she said from the time i was a toddler and could remember things :NO TARANTULAS!!!!!!!!! ( in her defence she had many stress dreams about spiders from an early age and is a huge arachnophobic). WHen i moved to the great state of kentucky, i found my love of snakes in a local pet shop. THat addiction spawned first small lizards, then toads then at age 8 a snake to eventualy 5 snakes and other herps (and growing). Now at 14, i still have that love of spiders i have always
had ( though in contrast to when i was little, i no longer like some inverts such as centipedes and harvestmen, i tollerate millipedes though.) and now i am inches away from finally getting a tarantula. At the time of this post, i have 2 tarantulas on hold at a local pet shop, a A.aviculara and an A.paysoni
(payson blonde) and will decide this comming weekend which to purchase. THough i am new to the Arachno-Hobby i am no stranger to spiders and tarantula care. I have still managed and do so today keep native spider species in my room such as fishing spiders and though i have not owned a tarantula yet, out of addiction i have a few care books that i have read for years and have researched for years on the internet so dont lable me as a pure beginer.
I love this site and am looking foward to being part of such a large web community

Ivymike1973

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Hi Everyone, my name is Mike and I am a scorpoholic. My addiction began when I was a child living in the desert. I collected all manner of spiders, scorps, lizards, snakes, etc.
I recently decided to get some scorpions after I lost all the fish in my aquarium coffee table. After some modifications, it is now home to 2 Emperors and a Desert Hairy (all divided and with the appropriate humidity levels and substrates. I also have 2 O. Glabrifrons (I am setting up a custom burrowing enclosure for them and hope to have it all set up in a week or two), 1 transvaalicus (3i), 1 deathstalker 4i, and a little 3i desert hairy. I am now looking to add a couple of A. Mauritanicus (breeding pair hopefully) to my collection.
In addition to the inverts, I have 3 cats and a Brazilian Rainbow Boa.

vlad

Arachnopeon
my name is richard,and i have been interested in spiders my whole life.......................

:cool::eek:
Hey All,

Welcome to Arachnoboards. Please take a moment to introduce yourself. Let us know who you are and what brings you here.

Feel free to post a picture of yourself here.

This thread is for personal introductions only, please let us know what inverts you have here.

Hope you enjoy your stay :D

The Arachnoboards Team

---------- Post added 05-03-2012 at 11:05 PM ----------

I recently got a young rose hair,and I was wondering how you tell the difference between a male and female?

Godfather

Arachnopeon
*A white '76 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow rolls up. A immaculate driver emerges and makes his way to the back of the vehicle. Opens the door and a man dressed in a white italian suite gets out. While placing a white Fedora on his head, the driver hands him a cane.

The door opens to the lobby and the man in the white suite walks up to the counter. He smiles as he opens the register and signs his name. He extends his hand to the desk clerk.*

Hello, my name in Godfather. I like spiders and related items. I keep two Tarantulas and two Huntsman spiders. I heard this place was awesome. I hope my stay here is a long and enjoyable one.

sithlord

Arachnopeon
hey there My name is Fred, I'm from NYC, and I own 2 scolopendra polymorpha and 1 heterosocdra maculata. I join this site cause I might link up with fellow invert keepers for info and looking to add more to my collection.

Hollow

Arachnopeon
Hey

Hi, my name's Logan. For pretty much my entire life I've had a huge fear of spiders and bugs, until recently. I went to a pet store and held a Chaco Golden Knee (Sorry I dont know the latin name), and I actually found it really cool. It might not seem so amazing to some of you guys, but I walked out of there feeling A LOT BETTER. Now I really want to start keeping these facinating animals, I just need to convince my parents that they wont be in serious danger because of it. :( I hope that I can continue this hobby for a long time and that I'll be able to be an active member of these forums. Thanks!