Gay spider?

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I've had a mature pair of P. regalis together for about 6 months now, and haven't witnessed a single insertion. Not to say it COULDN"T have happened, but I've checked them at all hours, day and night, and haven't seen a thing. They do frequently sit beside each other on the glass, and the female seems to try to initiate mating, but the male appears to be overcautious, and moves away. Anyone else see something like this and still get a sack? Anything I might try to get him in the mood? Maybe I should open their enclosure, so he feels he can escape? Or? I do have another mature female I could try him with... hmmm...

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Unless you are hovering over that setup 24/7, the ratio of time observing to total time paired is still incredibly small.

If they're still together and she hasn't eaten him, I'd take that as a good sign. I'm sure they've paired up by now and you just haven't seen anything.

That being said, I've had males of many species be very uninterested/unwilling/overly cautious and not pair up with the female.

Guess you'll just have to wait and see.

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I think you're on to something here! If a certain pair of spiders aren't witnessed mating, one of them must be a homosexual. Damn liberal media. First our children, now our spiders! See if you can find a camp or program that's willing ungay whichever one of them has the fancies and I'll notify Rush Limbaugh. If you don't have time for that, maybe just put one of those little mustaches on the female spider... I bet that would work.

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
Slow clap for Comatose
I think you're on to something here! If a certain pair of spiders aren't witnessed mating, one of them must be a homosexual. Damn liberal media. First our children, now our spiders! See if you can find a camp or program that's willing ungay whichever one of them has the fancies and I'll notify Rush Limbaugh. If you don't have time for that, maybe just put one of those little mustaches on the female spider... I bet that would work.

jonnyquong

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Was it absolutely necessary to title this thread gay spider?
My point exactly... I hope everyone else got that too

A little over the top, yeah?
jonnyquong I have never witnessed you "pairing" either...
Man... didn't mean to ruffle feathers! I have been a fugitive of the Political Correctness Police for several years now. Guess I'll have to lay low.

Comatose

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I don't recall my feathers being ruffled, and Tarac and Hugh Jazz didn't seem terribly upset either... personally I didn't think it was politically incorrect, just dumb.

If you want to be a fugitive, I'd suggest you quit being so sensitive. That's what you're asking others to do when you assign sexual orientation to invertebrates.

Kungfujoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
When i try to pair my P. metallicas i hope the male doesnt act that way.. I hope when my boy matures hes straight

Anonymity82

Arachnoprince
Jeeze, I don't go around sleeping with my fiance in front of people. I hope people don't think I'm gay... Not that there's anything wrong with that.

PitViper

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have the same thing going on with my P regalis pair, its been about 6 months as well, glad im not the only one, lol

Jared781

Arachnobaron
its very very very unlikely!!

they just dont have that part of the brain, they basically just have

Instinct... still its impossible to know for sure

which brings me to my next point, i know Ts have some sort

of memory, BUT to what extent

Transylvania

Gondorian
Old Timer
May I quote this in my signature? XD

This thread... LOL
But in all seriousness, I believe that the more an animal relies on instinct, the less likely it could have homosexual tendencies/preferences/whatever.

AlexRC

Arachnopeon
Lol, funny thread, but interesting. I wouldn't be too worried about it man, as mentioned you most likely have just been missing the action, if any.